How To Obtain A New Or Updated Private Pilot Certificate?

xcfi

I was a private and commercial pilot, and a certified flight instructor 36 years ago. How do I go about obtaining a new private pilot's certificate? Since I haven't flown for so long all my certificates are long gone. And I really only want and need my private pilot's certificate. I know I need a 3rd class physical to get it activated but how do I obtain a new paper certificate?

Tom

Hey John,

Thanks for your prompt response. They ask for the certificate number and date of issuance of which I have neither. They're both long gone with the certificates. After not flying for a few years I thought I'd never need them again. Dumb me. Maybe I need to contact the FAA directly?

Tom

Hey John,

Thanks for your prompt response. They ask for the certificate number and date of issuance of which I have neither. They're both long gone with the certificates. After not flying for a few years I thought I'd never need them again. Dumb me. Maybe I need to contact the FAA directly?

Tom
Hi Tom

Your old certificate number is your social security number, that's all they used back then.
I just got a hard card replacement and I could not remember the exact date either but all I needed was my SS#!

PS:
After you request the replacement lic. you might want to go to the link and have your SS# removed and get a new certificate # to avoid ID theft.

Last edited:
Hi Tom

Your old certificate number is your social security number, that's all they used back then.
I just got a hard card replacement and I could not remember the exact date either but all I needed was my SS#!

PS:
After you request the replacement lic. you might want to go to the link and have your SS# removed and get a new certificate # to avoid ID theft.

Thanks again, John.

Tom

Chucks suggestion worked for my 85 year old friend.

Chuck,

Maybe I'm not going about it correctly, but I keep coming up with "no record shown for this name in this town". I typed the town I was residing in when the certificate was issued and not the town I currently reside in.

Tom

Tom, I sent you a PM.

Found this for Tom Williamson

Total Names found for TOM WILLIAMSON is 3.

TOMMY GENE WILLIAMSON TOMMIE CLAIR WILLIAMSON
TOM PERRY WILLIAMSON JR

Found this for Thomas Williamson

Total Names found for THOMAS WILLIAMSON is 30.

THOMAS W WILLIAMSON THOMAS NICK WILLIAMSON
THOMAS NORRIS WILLIAMSON THOMAS E WILLIAMSON
THOMAS WILLIAMSON THOMAS BATTLE WILLIAMSON
THOMAS WARE WILLIAMSON THOMAS WILLIAMSON
THOMAS JOHN WILLIAMSON THOMAS CALVIN WILLIAMSON
THOMAS GEORGE WILLIAMSON THOMAS JESSE LEROY WILLIAMSON
THOMAS DONALD WILLIAMSON JR THOMAS ROBERT WILLIAMSON
THOMAS RICHARD WILLIAMSON JR THOMAS PHILIP WILLIAMSON
THOMAS MACK WILLIAMSON THOMAS L WILLIAMSON
THOMAS LEONARD WILLIAMSON THOMAS SPENCER WILLIAMSON III
THOMAS CALVIN WILLIAMSON THOMAS JOE WILLIAMSON
THOMAS GEORGE WILLIAMSON THOMAS MARVIN WILLIAMSON
THOMAS MICHAEL WILLIAMSON THOMAS JAMES WILLIAMSON
THOMAS MARTIN WILLIAMSON THOMAS MICHAEL WILLIAMSON
THOMAS NORMAN WILLIAMSON THOMAS DAVID WILLIAMSON

I had the same problem. Visited the FAA hanger at Sun N Fun. They took care of me and I had my license back within a few weeks.