How many Sport Copters on the forum?

Central Texas 582 Vortex

Central Texas 582 Vortex

How many Sport Copters do we have on the forum? Please post some photos of your gyros.

Here's my 582 Vortex. It's hangared about 1 1/2 hours NW of Austin, TX. I can make this baby dance with a 582. I can just imagine what they'll do with a 912.

Hey, I have a question for all you Sport Copterers. My rotor brake has steadily become less and less effective. After flying, I have to wait and wait for the rotor to spin down. It's so bad now it's almost like there is no rotor brake. Oh so annoying.

I tried a new brake pad - no help. I checked/adjusted the rotor brake clearance - it's set to the same specs in the book that worked great when I first bought it.

Sport Copter said to scuff up the surface of the ring gear where the rotor brake rubs - I tried sandpaper, that was no help, so then I used a dremel tool, but it made no difference either. I'm tempted to get aggressive with a grinding wheel, but I don't want to muck it up, since I don't want to damage the ring gear.

Has anybody else had a problem? Does anyone have a solution to try?

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• SC land-out in Sandy Creek.JPG
    SC land-out in Sandy Creek.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 2
Eric,
Mine may be set up different than yours so I don't know if this is relevant...
there is a pre-tension adjustment knob on the cable behind the engagement lever.
It loosens & tightens the cable just like a bicycle brake....but I'm almost certain you've
tried this too. Only a suggestion in case since you didn't mention it in your post. Also,
check that the retaining bolt that holds the pad block in place is not bent or broken; that would give it cause to not hold under tension while not being readily visible. All I can think of at the moment.

No brake bolt wear

No brake bolt wear

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I checked the bolt for wear when I replaced the rotor brake pad, but I hadn't thought about the possibility it might be bent. I just double-checked and it's straight. Would have been nice to solve the problem with a $2 bolt.

Eric

Mine stops the rotor nice and slowly taking 30-60 seconds while I unbuckle the seat belt and turn off everything electrical/gps. All it is required to do is keep it stopped in a stiff breeze when parked. The cable itself has quite of bit of stretch in it, and without replacing it, you will never make it perfect. But it just needs to slow it down, and keep it stopped, no more. 15 years of flying, and I am still on my first set of pads. The new extra pair, still in the parts bin in the hanger.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,CaN86SH

Sportcopter Vortex N739B - Rotax 582

Sportcopter Vortex N739B - Rotax 582

I decided to dust off this post and add mine to the list for posterity. Although she is new to me, she was produced in 2007 and has had 2 owners I believe. I hope to get her up to Scappoose with in the year for inspection and some upgrades. Then finish off with some more training and get her back in the air. :yo:

Attachments

• 20160514_113448.jpg
    20160514_113448.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160514_113505.jpg
    20160514_113505.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Gyro 032.jpg
    Gyro 032.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2
Looks link a nice machine and family to me too.

It's exciting!

It's exciting!

I always enjoy reading/hearing about guys getting their machines to enjoy rotorcraft flight, especially those who have been around for years, before finding the right combination that they can afford as well as feel confident in flying in.

Another Chapter 73 member (not the Sparrowhawk new-owner) is finally having his gyro dreams come true by obtaining a parts Sportcopter gyro to couple with parts he already has.

He is a working stiff like most of us are/were, who couldn't afford new prices. He is content w/ going the used route w/ a machine they trust and desire.

Last edited:
Kevin - that's the way to go for many of us - me included!

I would open my house to a once every two month SC meetup on Sundays from 12 to 3 pm, if there is interest. I am in Redlands CA. That is about 45 mins from L.A., Palm Springs, and the O.C.

Well, I am the new kid on the block with a Sport Copter (Project).
Thank you Kevin Richey for the great deal!

Looking good! What size motor is going in it? :usa:

sportcopter in New Zealand

sportcopter in New Zealand

Hi,

Serial Number 178 Sportcopter M912 based outside Christchurch NZ.

Kevin

Attachments

• Gyro RRJ 004.jpg
    Gyro RRJ 004.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 2
  • gold wings award with Jim Vanek.JPG
    gold wings award with Jim Vanek.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 2
There is a lot to love about that M912, Kevin. Happy flying!