How many Sport Copters on the forum?

Jpipe

Aircraft
Vancraft Lightning
Total Flight Time
I have a Van Craft Lightning. Does this count?
I have not flown it yet, need more training.

reelmule

Reelmule
Aircraft
Beech Baron C55; Piper PA 18 Super Cub; RAF 2000 gyroplane
Total Flight Time
5,000+ hrs;
I'm building a 912 Vortex with rough field gear and extended range fuel.

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
I am building a Vortex M912 and will have it done by Spring. I will then go to Oregon for instruction. Then, I fully expect to have more fun then anyone is allowed. I will fly ranch to ranch and bask in glory. Super cubs will be trashed and there will be a cattle herder (M912) in every barn.

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
Do you folks think there are a lot more Sport Copters out there that do not post here?

If not, why? Is the company too new to have a large base?

My kit appears to be more "over built" then the other way around. Having built before, I was extremely pleased with the quality of workmanship in the parts Sport Copter sent me.

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
I think the lack of Sport Copters on the East coast has a lot to do with their geographic location. You guys building with the 912's will have awesome machines.

Pinata

Lurker Shirker Berserker
Aircraft
Gyro
Total Flight Time
200+
And the answer is....?

And the answer is....?

How many rpm the prerotator gets in a Sport Copter? How many seconds to launch off?
I too would like to know what the range for prerotation is and at what speed she lifts. Seems to have gotten glossed. (No te preocupes Hermano los miembres estan escuchando). RF RF

Master Roda

The Jedi
I too would like to know what the range for prerotation is and at what speed she lifts. Seems to have gotten glossed. (No te preocupes Hermano los miembres estan escuchando). RF RF
That depends on the model. Our best is the M912. No wind on a standard day you can see less than a 50ft roll (30 MPH?). It prerotates to about 300RRPM. Climb out with an average weight pilot and a half tank is about 1000FPM.

Please watch our YouTube videos, they tell more than I can type. The landings are more impressive to me.

Sport Copter 912 Rough Field - YouTube

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Hi

A quick butchers at the FAA website *suggests*

Approx 50 examples currently registered as type Vortex - there is a chance that some of these may not be Sport Copter Vortexs.

A quick *random* delve found s/n 098 as the highest construction number - but there *may well be* higher ones.

Bear in mind some SC Vortexs have been exported ( some are in Oz ).

So how many have been shipped from the factory - I don't know but it would *appear* maybe approx 100 or so.

Hopefully someone can add a few more solid facts.

Cheers

Steve

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Hi

Intrigued I delved a bit more and the highest serial number I've found so far is

Vortex c/n 160 N555MX

other recent examples are

#150 N582SC is a M912

#140 N34XP
#137 N1168
#122 N50495
#119 ZK-TEW in New Zealand

plus I suspect many more recent kits in the process of being built.

The above is not definitive.

I'm not aware of any Vortex gyros in the UK.

Cheers

Steve

rdasd

Total Flight Time
Tim does this count. This is last picture I have. Getting real close to cranking this thing up. Maybe in a couple weeks, maybe sooner.

Attachments

Steve_UK

Aircraft
Hi "rdasd"

Looking good - absolutely spotless. How long did it take to build this gyro ?

Have you got an "N.........." number reserved - please show more pics in due course - thanks

Steve

rdasd

Total Flight Time
Hey Steve, I'll take some new pictures this weekend and post them. It's a lot more complete now. I started the build in mid August, have not had time to work on it like I planned....vacations.....grand kids....Christmas....It's all fun. I will say....this has been a great kit to build. The people at Sport Copter are only a phone call or email away....they have been a pleasure to work with. First Class Kit.

Robert

Jpipe

Aircraft
Vancraft Lightning
Total Flight Time
Tim,
Next Year is a long way away, but I don't see any reason why not.
I would have dragged it down this year, but was advised not to.

The Gyro Man

Aircraft
Sportcopter Lightning
Total Flight Time
1200 +
Have been away from the forum for several years but still flying my Sport Copter Lightning and enjoying life.

neutrax

rat now
Aircraft
1966 bensen 2015 SC M912
Total Flight Time
almost done

almost done

Almost ready for airworthiness. I've had it running, starts easier than the mac.

Gilbert

Attachments

Last edited: