How many miles per gallon do you get out of your gyro?

hillberg

Well, my book says a nice slick fixed-wing Beech A36 at 65% power/ 10000 feet will do 162 kts (186 mph) on a burn rate of about 13.3 gal/hr, but you're saying you get equivalent speed on 25% less fuel from your helicopter.

I doubt that I'm the only one surprised by that claim.
your Beech A-36 has 4 seats to my one the mouse empty weight 635 lbs

the fuselage is 34" wide 38" tall 20' long nose to stinger has 145 hp to a gross wt int. of 990 lbs.

It's last film flight has a Bell 206 in chase .

His speed 130 red lined torque (just at max t/o) I was 54 mph faster.

after the last Corona flood the fuel cell material was chemically attacked and fractured I'm in the process of replacing it with a slightly bigger tank.

and finishing up a twin engine two seater,

ckurz7000

I think 2017 is when Rotax has promised the 915is. It's essentially the 914, but using the bigger displacement version of the 912 as its basis, and adding EFI.
Yes, the "914is" (or whatever it will be called) is going to be a 912is with a turbo charger.

-- Chris.

hillberg

If you get it flying again, documenting that speed would claim the world records for class E-1a helicopter, take-off weight under 500 kg, group 2-turbine, all courses.

http://www.fai.org/record-rotorcraft
Tried that - costs too much you have to host their whole crew adapt a recorder to your systems and have insurance out the butt, tickets lodging and return trip would cost big bucks

1 no room for their recorder:)
2 no spare cash for crew:rant:
3 no insurance company would underwrite with out an added bond:eek:
4 no big deal.:eek:

ckurz7000

I just flew 1,022 miles nonstop and used 61 gallons of gas. So that works out to be about 16.8 miles per gallon
Well, you did have a 15-20 mph tailwind, according to Greg. Assuming a 17 mph tailwind for 10 hours that's 170 miles that you would have to deduct from your distance. With a net distance of 852 miles and 61 gallons that works out to about 14 mpg.

You said your takeoff weight was 1370 lbs (621 kg). Was there some paperwork involved in flying heavier?

Congratulations to a great accomplishment, -- Chris.

Last edited:

scandtours

scandtours
With a net distance of 852 miles and 61 gallons that works out to about 14 mpg.

You said your takeoff weight was 1370 lbs (621 kg). Was there some paperwork involved in flying heavier?

Congratulations to a great accomplishment, -- Chris.
My congratulations too.
Carrying 61 Gallons of fuel ( 372 lbs ) is like flying with a third person, at least the first hours. In this case (I.M.H.O.) 16.8 miles per gallon is just fantastic.