How do I fit a gyrocopter in my garage????

Psalms18:10

Hi, I'm Tilden.
Aircraft
None yet... : (
I don't know what I'm going to end up with, but it will need to fit in my garage. (Not a deal breaker but that would be very desirable.) A couple units that I looked up the dimensions were both about 8' tall (Gyrobee and Air Command). Does anyone store their gyro in a standard 2 car garage with a 7' tall door opening? Depth is not a problem, but rolling it into the garage seems to be a challenge. Have thought about setting one up where the landing gear is easy to mount and dismount so the gyro could be rolled in on castors but still not sure if that would give enough clearance. With the gear off I guess I could also carry it in on its side too. Any suggestions? Photos?

A KB2 will roll right in. Is your wife warming up to the idea of a gyro yet?

Attachments

• KB2 rebuild 005.jpg
    KB2 rebuild 005.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
You can cut the mast. The GyRonimo has a mast that splits at about the 4' level. Make sure your method for securing the mast back together is sound. I use 2 pieces of half-inch 2024 with 8 quarter-inch bolts as joining plates.

It is always better not to cut the mast, but if you must, you must.

Some have went with a folding mast similar to what the RAF uses, I don't know what the general consensus is on a folding mast but I have an RAF and I'm glad it has one.

Or get a bigger garage.

Picture of Cut Mast On GyRonimo

Picture of Cut Mast On GyRonimo

I was looking around to see if I had a good picture of the mast clamp plates I have now on the GyRonimo, but could not find one. This shows the original 1/4" thick plates. I eventually replaced them with the 1/2" thick plates more or less due to my theory that "more than you need is never enough."

Attachments

• CutMast.jpg
    CutMast.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1
As originally designed the Gyrobee's tail can be removed by taking out two bolts and releasing the rudder cables. You would need to measure but this may allow tilting the gyro back enough to get it into a garage.

someone here on the forum just tipps theirs over on a forty five to the side to get it through the door.I would consider a small dormer on the side wall,complete with door allowing the mast to go between trusses till it was in.
just brainstorming of coarse but would not a swivel or hinging lower gear with a lock not (to allow for tipping over) be safer and quicker than a broken mast

Jim designed the Vortex mast to fold. Our new 912 models also fold. The control tubes,etc,etc also fold with the mast.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1
Excellent!!! Thanks for the info! I was not even considering cutting the mast because I was thinking in terms of my RC helicopters which have a drive shaft going up to the rotor. However, a properly cut and braced mast should be stronger (but also a bit more heavy) than a solid mast. I forgot what gyro it was that i saw that uses some bunge cords on the landing gear for shocks. I was also thinking along the line of disconnecting the gear at the bunge/shock mount to allow the gear to travel up and let the frame bottom out on the ground. However, I think a two piece mast would be ideal for ease of storage, etc.

Dabk2 - Yes! But there is still a lot of work to do. Yesterday I mentioned something about a 2 seater and if she would really never consider riding in one. I did not get the definite "no!" response. She said something like "I don't know" which is a big improvement. She still followed it up with a comment about how irresponsible it is to spend money on a toy when there are home improvements that "need" to be done, etc., I was about to say that popcorn ceilings may come back in style and then wised up and didn't say anything. I may have to end up going down the honey-do list to pave the way for my gyro. Not a bad tradeoff I guess...

noooo i got caught by that one.Go dollar for dollar,every dollar on renos spend a dollar on the gyro.

I like that! Although if I did everything on the list @ dollar per dollar I'd end up with something nicer than I'm planning for. LOL. I really need to decide on 1 or 2 seats. I'm leaning toward 2 seater at the moment...

Doesn't Larry Neal's ultralight butterfly have a folding mast?

There will ALWAYS be something else "mote important" than spending on the gyro. That's why I had my wife go up with my CFI and sell her. That granite countertop is now a thing of the past :)

Psalms18:10 : My gryobee has a folding mast also. will send you the plate sizes if you want them. That is the picture after I got finished but had not done the hang test as you can see the plates on the rotor-head....:)

Attachments

• 100_0538.jpg
    100_0538.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0534.jpg
    100_0534.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2
Just get a bigger door.

Just get a bigger door.

Doesn't Larry Neal's ultralight butterfly have a folding mast?

The mast on the Butterfly Ultralight does not fold. However, Larry has a folding mast option for his Gyro line. I am not sure how much weight it would add and how that would affect keeping legal ultralight weight. But I suspect it could be done.

I know the Butterfly Super Sky Cycle was designed to park in a garage so it comes in 2 versions. One that will fit through a standard 7 ft door and a second version with a taller mast and wider main gear that requires an 8 ft high door (for those that can) Although my garage door was only 7 ft high, I had a fairly tall garage with some extra ceiling height, so I chose the taller model and ripped out my garage door, raised the garage door header by a foot and put in a new 8 ft tall garage door. My original door was a cheap builder grade door with no windows and no insulation so when I replaced it I also upgraded to a much nicer door and now I can't believe I ever put up with that old door. The bigger door is so much nicer. I know not everyone has the room to put in a taller door, but if you do have that option, I would highly recommend it. It is much more flexible for a variety of things and it will really increase the gyro models you can put in your garage and save you all kinds of extra work that you will have with some of the other options available.

Attachments

• Nov. 2010 153.jpg
    Nov. 2010 153.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1
My Bensen B8m fits perfect along with our 2 ford Explorers the wife hardly notices & it rolles in & out the 7ft door nicely ; )

My Bensen rolled fit fine, (off the trailer) but it's better in the hangar. Look around for a hangar.

There is some hanger space at El Mirage