How about a Wankel rotary engine with integrated transmission and variable pitch propeller.

All for $12,800. 62 HP and would be a sweet pusher for my KB-3. Electric supercharger too!

I have seen some of these UAV rotarys, not sure about this one, is that the price with the options?, or bare bones?
This is a generalization, but the small Wankel's I have seen were very expensive, had short TBO times, suffered overheating problems and burned ridiculous amounts of fuel.
The characteristic that keeps them selling is lots of power in a small package and with military projects, the industry doesn't care how much tax money they waste.....

If this one has overcome those issues, I want one!

It only weighs 39 lbs too.

TBO 1000 hrs (est)

4.7 gal/hr

Engine typeWankel, Rotary hybrid.
Weight17.7kg
Displacement298cc
Length/Width/Height330x280x280 mm
Power62 hp at 8000 rpm
Maximum Continuous Speed8000 rpm
IgnitionElectronic CDI. Twin spark plug. Variable ignition front
CoolingLiquid cooling, pressured thermostated system with twin external electric cooling pump and radiators
Fuel systemElectronic Fuel Two Stage Injection
Fuel typeWide range of automotive and aviation gas, 2% premix w/TS Oil. External lubrication system options available
Fuel consumption200 – 220 g / kW / hr
TBO (estimate)1000 hours
Preferred oil typeAPI TC
Fuel to oil mixturePremix 1%, Automix – 0,5-1%
Sensors / TelemetryEGT – Exhaust gas temperature; CHT – Cylinder head temperature; CLT – Cooling liquid temperature; IAT – Intake air temperature; RPM – Rotation per mine; CSP – Crankshaft Position; KS – Knock sensor; Airflow, Throttle position, Fuel Flow
ControlCAN 2.0B J1339/29bit; ADLM + TrueTorgue
Electric SystemInternal alternator / starter; Internal starter battery pack 5Ah

Last edited:
Geez, that would be great for a self-launch glider.

One thing I know is that rotary engines are very sensitive to detonation. The supercharger management, spark and fuel have to spot on or the motor is toast.

The U.S. Army RQ-7 Shadow UAV uses the 38 hp Wankel Rotary AR-741 engine

Conceivably, one could mount two AR-741 engines on a Bensen B-8M for a total of 76 hp or four for a total of 152 hp!

Wayne

Attachments

• 1673997242617.png
    1673997242617.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 1673997925459.png
    1673997925459.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1673998403139.png
    1673998403139.png
    441.2 KB · Views: 20
The U.S. Army RQ-7 Shadow UAV uses the 38 hp Wankel Rotary AR-741 engine

Conceivably, one could mount two AR-741 engines on a Bensen B-8M for a total of 76 hp or four for a total of 152 hp!
That's gonna give me nightmares tonight!

What a fascinating little engine! I like how technology is finally catching up to the brilliant concept of the Wankel rotary. I've owned a Mazda RX-7, and enjoyed its power and turbine-like smoothness. Fuel economy was only fair, but that was expected.

Last edited:
I've always lusted after all those UAV sized rotary engines, but I gave up even looking at them because they were always outrageously (military) priced, and strictly "not for manned flight". I'd love to see a 100HP version similar to the one posted here. That could potentially have a big market.

Never mind. I just read the offering brochure on their web site. I don't buy restricted stock at this stage in my life.

Last edited:
Are 17.7 kg and 62 hp too much for the ultralight Nano gyro? If not, that may be a great engine for it.

WaspAir's notion of it for a motoglider is intriguing. Wankel fuel consumption would not be an issue there.

WaspAir's notion of it for a motoglider is intriguing. Wankel fuel consumption would not be an issue there.
It would easily fit in the nose of anything, just need to come up with a folding prop...

It would easily fit in the nose of anything, just need to come up with a folding prop...
That problem has already been solved elegantly.

Blades that conform:

Glider (sailplane) with front-end electric sustainer (FES).jpg
Or blades that spin outward centrifugally behind a retracting nose cone (sleek when all closed up):

StemmeProp (30773204).jpg

Stemme-S10.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
Some fun videos about Wankel and Mazda rotary engines.

Wayne

See Thru Rotary Engine in Slow Motion - (Wankel Engine) 4K

How Rotary Engines Work - Mazda RX-7 Wankel - Detailed Explanation

ROTARY ROADSTER: 400 HP Mazda RX7-Powered Home-Built Lotus 7 Replica