Hornet

bushflyer

Genesis believer
Total Flight Time
2500 hrs+
Hi there Gyro-Experts, :)

is there someone who could tell me more about a gyrocopter named Hornet ?
The design looks pretty simple but how is the flying characteristic ?

Many thanks well in advance and myny more happy landings
Guenter

Hi Guenter about the Hornet, (not sure about the 2) but certainly the last model by Don Shoebridge has been a fun project for my son and I. He did nearly all the building, I handled finance and research.

The build was fine and took around ten months, we both had zero experience or mechanical skills with engines metal or electronics so a bit of a learning curve there. Our workmanship in comparison to the superb work I see on this forum leaves much to be desired however she flies very nicely. If we were to do it again would go with the design tail but down the route that Dan McGee has thought of going with a metal tail instead of foam, though that seems to work well, but is fragile and can develop bubbles. Our hanger buddy has an ultralight one with a fabric tail which worked well.

We had help from Dan with machining some of the parts and the tail, he was very helpful to us for which we were most grateful.

I would in retrospect probably go with a Rotax 582, but this is simply based on my experience of the upgrading of a Bensen I fly from 503 to 582 and the improvement in performance was very noticeable.

We found that trying for ultralight with this model can be done, but with a very determined effort, and doing without things that we felt would make life a little easier for us. We decide to go over and to register it as as an EAB.

We ended up at about 350lbs but with ten galls of fuel capacity which will give a better endurance and range.

There are at least two or three more being built and should hopefully be flying soon.

Last edited:
Leigh just beat me to it :) I was going to suggest Günter to talk to him! So there you go :) Welcome to the forum.

Hi Gabor, look forward to meeting you at B days. Will be soon now.

Are the Queen and Princess going to be there with you?

Following your build with great interest, should be a nice strong flying bird.:)

Hi Leigh and Gabor,
thank you very much to You also. I'am a forum reader since I joined almost each day and appreciate the friendly postings. I just converted from fixed wing to gyro and enjoy each gyro flight more and more.
Best regards
Guenter

Leigh I think only kiddo is coming as the Queen has to go and represent our family on a very nice 100 years old birthday party. A very good friend of ours is turning 100 and it just happens to be on Saturday :( Sooo. She is going to have to attend no question. She is not much of a flyer (as a matter of fact.....she is terrible!) but kiddo is a flight nut! Soooo she will be there. 2 more days my friend :)

Hey ya'll, I would secound what Leigh said 100%, the building of the Hornet is not real difficult but there are some changes that need to be made in reagards to the plans. The tail system although not a bad design is very complicated and time consuming for the product this id completed. I am sure that Liegh would agree that the design as it is is IMO way to fragile after completeion. Building the tail unit out of alum is the way to go there. The U brackets will need an additional hole drilled in them so they do not move and twist. I would also consider replacing the plans current shock system with an actual spring shock and simple mount less parts less complexity. Cheaper in the long run.

I would also agree with the 582 over the 503 more control and better performance. Other than that it was a fun build and is completed but as said mine has not flown yet!!! but have no dought it will do as well but less performance due to the 447.

Dan

Hi there Dan, really look forward to seeing you work on that tail and get a metal one built. As you say may come out lighter and a bit more robust. It seems to work really effectively so shape and design wise appears good. I like the way the shock work so happy with those so far, they seem pretty simple. Have yet to see what sunlight does to them though.

My reason to go with a few more horses would be to cope with the increase in fuel and larger pilots. Seemed quite sprightly with the light fuel load though.You may well get away with the 447 not like us guys with the 'bigger build' (appetite):sad:

Gabor look forward to meeting your girl, we could do with a few more young lady gyro pilots. I am grooming my granddaughters but they have a few years to go yet, and cannot reach the stick yet.:eek:hwell:

Hi Dan,

I have seen your building stages on the hornet site and I will follow to see your progress.
So far, many thanks for all of your suggestions and hope to see your gyro airborne soon.

Kind regards
Guenter

Thanks all. You will not see my Hornet in the air anytime soon it is in storage untill I can get another house after the first one sells. I am then going to make the very modifications I told you about. I am going to try the aircraft with a 447 but plan to increase the size to a 503 or even a 582 but I am a samll person don't need much to lift my 150 lbs frame.

I will be with Chris Burguess this comming month and get the BumbleBee in the air this summer. Then at least I can enjoy some flying this year and get the Hornet ready for next year.

Liegh I will keep you posted on the tail feathers but I have a realy good idea on how I want to do them. A precurser I am thinking divinycell and .020 alum bonded and temp stabilized.

Dan

Dan with your weight you will be fine on the 447, and will be pretty sporty on the 503. You have a lighter build than ours. A 582 would probably be overkill for you. I am 200lbs, and we have the extra five galls of gas.

I really do like the idea of a tin tail, and look forward to seeing how that one turns out for you. The foam one is a little fragile.

Enjoy your flying with Chris, he sounds a nice instructor to be with, look forward to your reports.