Hornet CAD files

Maverick

Hello, all. I'm wanting to build a Hornet, but intend to use a Hirth or MZ20x engine. I have V14 plans, but I would really like to get my hands on the original CAD files, so I can rearrange things, and get the CG back to where it belongs, with the lighter engine. I have SolidWorks, so native files would be fine. If anyone has them, or knows where to get them, I would be VERY appreciative.

Here is a Hornet model. I do not know which revision this is as I haven't studied this 3D model yet. I use this site occasionally for odds and ends resources in my work. It's user-contributed, so double-check every dimension against the V14 plans. If it's not a perfect analog, it's a starting point. Hope this helps. The site is free with easy registration.

edit: I don't see main gear drag struts on this model.

The engine is a 50hp Hirth 650cc, 49cc 2stroke with gearbox for prerotator, similar to: ebay # 222826647247 I used a chevy steering shaft with slip joint and standard bendix in a custom machined housing. I have not weighed it yet, its on my to-do list

I really like your build, but I'm wanting to use the free-air cooled F-23 (boxer) Hirth. I'm also wanting to use recoil start, so I can go without an electrical system at all. Very interesting prerotator design, though

Does no one know where to find the designer's CAD files? I went out on a limb, and reached out to Don Shoebridge on linkedin, but I've not gotten a reply (shocking, I know)

If I absolutely have to, I can model it all in SolidWorks, myself, but if I can dig up original files, then there's no need, because that's not a small amount of work

Right, I never saw any CAD files released. If you draw it up in Solidworks I would be interested though :) hope you share your build (y)

I really like your build, but I'm wanting to use the free-air cooled F-23 (boxer) Hirth. I'm also wanting to use recoil start, so I can go without an electrical system at all. Very interesting prerotator design, though

Does no one know where to find the designer's CAD files? I went out on a limb, and reached out to Don Shoebridge on linkedin, but I've not gotten a reply (shocking, I know)

If I absolutely have to, I can model it all in SolidWorks, myself, but if I can dig up original files, then there's no need, because that's not a small amount of work
I have found that modeling the ship, even if a model already exists, has greatly helped me understand and study the design more thoroughly. I model every feature as if tooling up for that operation, thinking about how it would get cut/drilled/lathed... in some cases even modeling the table saw and blade to work out how to clamp and feed the part for compound angles, etc. It seemed like a lot of extra work in the beginning but has paid off. I have constantly referred to it for double-checking things as I go, so it's been sort of a "dry run" to help eliminate human error.

Brian

Complete version of Cad files.

I found these Hornet files in Grabcad, they appear to be complete.
You and load them in your Grab Cad Work Bench. Then change the format and scale the drawings. Export to something other than SolidWorks CAD software .sldprt files

I import them into Sketchup as .stl then save as .skp Hoping to generate gcode to use in CNC. As stated be sure to check and double check all dimensions.

Hope its of some use,

Complete version of Cad files.

I found these Hornet files in Grabcad, they appear to be complete.
You and load them in your Grab Cad Work Bench. Then change the format and scale the drawings. Export to something other than SolidWorks CAD software .sldprt files

I import them into Sketchup as .stl then save as .skp Hoping to generate gcode to use in CNC. As stated be sure to check and double check all dimensions.

Hope its of some use,

Thanks for sharing!