" Honey Bee G2"

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
What happened to the Hornet Vin?

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
I believe the G2 was only a prototype for testing, of which 2 were built. I seem to recall there were some issues with the design that precluded it from being developed further. I am not aware of any plans that were made public.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
The HoneyBee G2 incorporated some interesting ideas, including an adjustable cheek plate arrangement on the two-place to deal with wide variations in pilot and student weight. The G2 appeared to have a thrustline significantly higher than its CG, but a reasonably generous tail volume.

Jim Fields debuted the Honeybee G2 at Oshkosh in 2010, and for a while became a major voice in the effort to get the FAA to increase the Part 103 weight limit to allow safer gyros. He disappeared from the scene after Dr. Paul Rogers, an early customer who provided funding to the company, had a fatal accident in a G2. At least one customer here in the west struggled to find and fabricate parts to finish his two-place after the company folded.

I had the chance to interview Jim Fields at Oshkosh in 2010. This video was released in January of 2011, and has lots of detail on the background of the G2.

First pilot

Thanks guys for your input. Much appreciated., it did look like a very interesting design. Too bad someone didn't pick up on it and make the necessary adjustments!
Cheers. . .Vin