Homebuilt Coaxial Helicopter (RELOADED)

Break out any price list, Bell ,MD , Kamov etc. ($230.000 for a set of 212 blades)
Just call the manufactures on the costs.

Yaw on a coaxial

Yaw on a coaxial

For yaw you could have disks mounted on the rotor shafts and break pads mounted on the airframe, when you push a rudder pedal it would lightly rub on one disk or the other. No reversal in autorotation.

For yaw you could have disks mounted on the rotor shafts and break pads mounted on the airframe, when you push a rudder pedal it would lightly rub on one disk or the other. No reversal in autorotation.

That wont work. Since both rotors are coupled the only thing, using your system, will do is slow down both rotor rpm. No yaw whatsopever.
You need to create differentl rotor drag for yaw via different collective or by airbrakes.

I believe it would work. Please tell me the difference between adding drag to the rotor from deploying air brakes (to a rotor that is coupled) and adding drag to a rotor by apply a brake to that rotor.

That wont work. Since both rotors are coupled the only thing, using your system, will do is slow down both rotor rpm. No yaw whatsopever.
You need to create differentl rotor drag for yaw via different collective or by airbrakes.

Benson had the shaft brakes, worked, rather have the tip air brakes, works better. mechanical brakes when worn or contaminated tend to grab a bit.

I believe it would work. Please tell me the difference between adding drag to the rotor from deploying air brakes (to a rotor that is coupled) and adding drag to a rotor by apply a brake to that rotor.

Hello Jason,

the difference is that with an air brake you do add drag to one rotor.When you brake on the shaft you don't add rotor drag.
If you're riding a bicycle and you apply only the front brake, does the rear wheel turn faster or slower than the front wheel or do they keep the same rev's but is the bike as a whole slowing down ?
If both rotors are' coupled via a gear system with the intention that they both rev at the same speed than braking on one rotor will cause both rotors to slow down.....I think.
I'm not an engineer or well educated for that matter so take my opinion with the proper reservations.

But for homebuilding, this one is more suitable!...:D

Attachments

• concept abc.jpg
    concept abc.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 7
The new ROTORFLY! not bad at all...

Attachments

• rotorflynew.jpg
    rotorflynew.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 8
just when I thought I had it figgered out...

just when I thought I had it figgered out...

Two rotors going in opposite directions.
This is really gonna mess with Vance's understanding of airflow through the rotor(s) !
:rolleyes:

Brian