Homebuilt Coaxial Helicopter (RELOADED)

quadrirotor

André MARTIN
Aircraft
airplane, trike, gyro, paramotor...
Total Flight Time
How could be feasible this homebuilt version of the X2 Sikorsky coaxial helico...

No swashplate, only collectives.
A blown tail for yaw, pitch and roll (differential elevator...)
teetering semi rigid rotors with Delta3...

May be like the Rotorfly on wheels with a blown tail, no swashplate, only collectives!?

Attachments

• SikX2blowntail.JPG
    SikX2blowntail.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 13
  • rotorfly.JPG
    rotorfly.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just for RC, too noisy, too inefficient, too dangerous...autorotation questionnable...a good drawing, only a good video game target.

Last edited:
MoTIS AIR BENDER

MoTIS AIR BENDER

Ga6riel,

Interesting.
It's proposed market is the same as Sikorsky's series of X2 craft.

Unfortunately the student's concept has a terminal flaw. Rigid 2-blade rotors will produce a horrendous 2P vibration. Sikorsky's earlier ABC coaxial had 3-blade rotors, which is much better, however vibration was the limiting factor to it's forward speed. It appears that the new X2 will have 4-blade rotors.

Dave

One of the first "homebuilt" coax with a blown tail!!! :D

Bensen hovergyro 1976.
bensen_hovergyro.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Rotorfly:
New videos, very enthousiasming!!!

ROTORfly.mp4 - YouTube

The very very very simple mechanics of the Rotorfly:

Attachments

• rotorfly2.jpg
    rotorfly2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
In a coaxial helicopter like that how do the rudder pedals pivot/turn the fusalage without a tailrotor? What exactly are the rudder pedals controlling?

In most the pedals would control either differential collective pitch or rotor tip brakes, in addition to actual rudder which would be effective at higher speeds - not sure with this one (fixed pitch, right?).

I am almost sure that this helicopter uses collective and cyclic on both rotors. I believe the upper rotor is controlled by rods through the center of the mast just like the Mini 500, the and the Helisport copters. You can also control yaw by putting a brake on the two different rotor masts. When you cause friction between a mast and the airframe, the frame yaws that way.

Jason

This looks to be really innovative.

The blade pitch control seems to be the same like Kaman,
with flaps on the trailing edge.

Simple teetering stiff hub bar.

Reliable and easy.
I really like it !!!
:)

Could be a solution for jump take off gyrocopters.

Last edited:
Kaman blades:

Attachments

• hh-43-24533b.jpg
    hh-43-24533b.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4
  • hh-4324533d.jpg
    hh-4324533d.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
....You can also control yaw by putting a brake on the two different rotor masts. When you cause friction between a mast and the airframe, the frame yaws that way......

Jason

Are you sure about this?:p
I think both rotors will slow down.....without any yaw at all.

No auto capability

No auto capability

Isn't this the one that has no auto rotative capability ? I think I remember something about this one having a ballistic recovery chute. I could be mistaken though.

They say "excellent autorotating qualities" on their website - from watching the videos it sure looks like it has collective pitch, must be using blade servo tabs as PTKay suggested.

Cita;

I think it depend on how the two rotors are mechanically interconnected.
Here is a page related to this subject; Coaxial Transmission w/ Yaw Control

Dave

Dave,

I think that, from the moment the two rotors are connected,in whatever way,it makes no difference which rotor you put the brake on for yaw.Both rotors will slow down because they are connected,giving no yaw at all.
The only way to achieve yaw through the rotors is via an aerodynamic force (airbrake for example like in the Rotorcycle) or via a differential gearbox (like in the Japanese GEN-4 UL co-axial helicopter).....I think.
One can allways use two sperate rotorsystems, each having their own engine and rotor operating idependantly from each other, but I think that this will be tricky to control but that's the only way I can think of to use rotor shaft brake force to create yaw.

Cicaré coaxial.

Cicaré coaxial.

Who knows what became those coaxial (Dennis Fetters, may be!?)???
And what are the intentions of Cicare about them???

http://www.cicare.com.ar/index.htm

Attachments

• Cicarecoax.jpg
    Cicarecoax.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 12
  • cicarecoax2.jpg
    cicarecoax2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 12