Hollmann HA-2M Sportster

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Well said Cort, at least you seem like an aircrew member that understands.. :)

And I am sure that you noticed who's name is on the side of the aircraft....
The crew chiefs name, not the pilots. :D

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
CZAW Light sport, and Cessna C172M, Cessna C140
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
I signed my name on the inside...where it counts, way up high in the tail above the ramp door. hahahahah... Say did you guys ever play the hubcap game with a new co-pilots? I swear it takes new Lieutenants like 2 years on average to figure out that game.

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
I got some photos of sleeping lieutenants that were taken right before all manner of chaos and pandemonium broke loose. Man it’s a real hoot to watch people wake up absolutely terrified! Especially in a combat zone, when you are more on edge than normal. It’s a wonder more troops don’t have PTSD. You know in hind sight, we must have been pretty darn tired to curl up on a nice comfy slab of hot concrete to take naps… Hope you like the Herk photos; this was taken at Ballad AB Iraq, prepping for a CDS air drop off the Syrian Border to resupply remote Army troops back in 05.

PS, It took me all these years to notice the sleeping LT did not secure his side arm in the gun box, lucky the captain did not get shot!

Last edited:

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
The cabin roof and most of the forward cabin enclosure stringers are now properly installed and snugly bolted together. Now I have to install a couple more radius stringers down near the instrument panel, and install the instrument panel, and mount tube. The instrument panel mount tube is also the carb heat control mount location.

MY GYRO IS MADE IN USA

Last edited:

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
OK so I’m just about done with the major portion of the cabin enclosure. I am now right at 205 hours. I round my hours up or down to the nearest hour, it all averages out in the end… I have spent right at $3300 for all parts.

This does not include tools and equipment such as saws saw blades, and stuff like that.

Of that $3300 this includes shipping, handling and taxes. I happen to live in California with high taxes and Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Company is located in CA, so I get taxed at like 8.25%

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
Tomorrow I will be driving over to Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Company in Corona CA to obtain the Lexan sheets for the windshield. I think I might also get a composite material starter/learning kit too…

okikuma

Hi Cort,

Great progress! Looking great! You'll be flying in no time!

I especially like the "Sandbox pictures." The faces change, the uniforms change, the war zones change, but the Esprit de Corps and the comradeship remains the same. The sleeping airmen on the ramp is one of those things that has and always will remain the same from the Revolutionary War to present, napping during down time, when you can, where ever you can.

Wayne

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
I made a pilgrimage to Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Company West, Corona CA, a place that all home builders must go to once in a life time… I think it’s a commandment somewhere. I took my ""grand daughter"" with me. We had to get up very early to get over there and back, as I had a 3PM appointment.

I obtained .060 Polycarbonate Lexan for the windshield, special drill bits for Lexan, a correct front tire, I needed a lamb tire which is a smaller diameter then what I originally purchased, and I got the composite material learner kit. Tomorrow I will continue working on the windshield, instrument panel and cabin framing.

I attached a photo of my granddaughter by the front sign, and a second photo of her a bit later; she was very tired in the second photo, probably for getting up so early, har har har

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
"she was very tired in the second photo"

Very funny Cort, and creative...

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
I started hanging the windshield yesterday. The windshield is one large piece of .060 “Lexan” polycarbonate. This is really durable stuff, very flexible and bendable. It is not in anyway brittle, nor will it crack. The windshield is held in place via screws and pop rivets, and I can tell that it will be very solid when completely installed. I can say that the width of the aircraft makes it very tight to get a single 48” wide piece to cover. It’s a tight fit width wise… Soooo make sure you get your cabin exactly 36 wide and the radius of your stringers is EXACTY to plan specs...

My present aircraft weight is… OMG, I just said that my present aircraft weight is… which means it’s really an aircraft, (giddy excitement) Anyway, I’m now at 177 pounds. This weight includes most of the in-cabin cyclic and control structure, like 90% of it, and the instrument panel. My target weight is 550 on the mains and 0 pounds +- 8 pounds on the nose gear, (without rotor hub or blades installed.)

Allowing for 268 pounds for the engine, this leaves me right about 115 pounds of stuff to hang on the airplane to include, but not limited to… Engine mount, belly skin, nose faring, eyebrow fairings, engine fairings, instruments, horizontal and vertical stabilizer and control cable, brake master cylinder, fluid and lines, pre-rotator assembly, fuel lines, vales and throttle and mixture control. That’s a lot of stuff yet, but I think I can get her done on the low side of 550 pounds, by use of carbon fiber in the firings, or formed alumimum.

Last edited:

okikuma

Great photos Cort. You're grandaughter is too cute with that tire. That's a memory to share at her wedding reception!

You know what is the difference between an Airman and a 2nd Lt? The Airman has been promoted once!

Wayne

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I have an announcement to make about aircraft spruce in about a week, stay tuned. :)

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
50% off all items in stock, I hope...

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
The instrument panel is mounted in the required location. I still have work to do on it, but that is it's correct location.

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
I just had a totally random builders thought. In stead of installing aluminum belly skin, what if a put a piece of polycarbonate Lexan there in stead? It would be like a glass bottom airplane, dude that might be cool.

okikuma

Hi Cort,

Interesting idea however you might consider a few things.

The aluminum bottom of the cockpit enclosure possesses structural strength for the same that lexan might lack. Lexan might weigh more and be labor intensive to clean and keep clear and will outweigh the benefit to see just below your legs and feet.

I do have a different suggestion.

I've been toying with an alternate idea that will give a nice ground plane for a comm antenna. The flat center location of the windscreen from the top of the instrument panel down to the keel. If in that location was placed a rectangle sheet of aluminum instead of Lexan (the visibility I suspect is minimal from the instrument panel down to the keel anyway). Then, a bent 45 degree comm antenna could be placed in the center of that sheet of aluminum with majority of the element situated vertically. That would give the antenna great omnidirectional polarization of the signal. At the top of the antenna, a piece of yarn could be located to double as a yaw string. The only other location for an antenna is on the belly, and it would have to be bent 90 degrees to clear the ground.

Again, just a thought.

Wayne

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
Well, the windshield is almost on now. Sadly, I got it a tiny bit crooked… Luckily, no one will notice if I fabricate a small aluminum external trim strip, which I’m suppose to do anyway around the door openings. It will be totally concealed, and it’s not off enough to cause any kind of a security to the aircraft problem. This baby is tight!

Wayne, I also had thought of cropping the windshield below the instrument panel and placing an aluminum skin there. I had also though of installing a string yaw indicator. I’m not sure why I had that idea, except to give my Sportster the custom look. And I can say that the Lexan is gotta be twice the Wight of 0.40 aluminum skin. I’d have to fabricate another aluminum stringer to place below the windshield, but that is no big deal, it would just give the windshield a little extra beef. I think I’d come out about even on weight, after all is said and done.

I will be flying with a Sporty’s hand held Nav com, and wanted to install an external antenna. Now you got my gears grinding.

I’ve also been thinking about going with a glass instrument panel. I like the Dynon D10A. It’s compact enough that I can fit it into my instrument pod, and it would combine the airspeed, altimeter and compass all into one single instrument. It would allow enough extra room for a rotor RPM, EGT, Oil PSI, master, ignition and lighting switch’s. It has an altitude encoder output for a transponder. The entire unit weights under 2 pounds, which would save weight from analog gauges. It’s $2200, or about the price of new analog gauges, once you add them all up. I will also fly with my GPS unit that operates independently and would make a great (back up) magnetic direction/heading indicator which incidentally, I will panel mount into the instrument pod as well. It’s only 6.25” Wide by 4.5” High. I may end up putting the master switch, lighting and circuit breakers into a small panel below instrument panel, IDK yet…

In regard to the antenna, does the ground plane need to be aluminum, would the windshield itself work?

Last edited:

okikuma

Hi Cort,

The ground plane needs to be of a conductive metal. Since the aircraft is aluminum that's the best one to continue with.

Without getting too technical, a ground plane is needed to give the maximum obtainable output of signal power out of a 1/4 wave antenna with minimal return "noise" as reflective power back down the unbalance coaxial cable (SWR - signal to noise ratio) and into the radio. Without a ground plane or too small of one will send most of the power back into the radio and ruin your radio and day.

In most instances, the groundplane size should be at least the length of the antenna equally in all directions where the antenna is mounted. Think of a circle with an antenna mounted in the center with the radius of the circle at least equal to the antenna length as an example. In reality, any aluminum skin surface of an aircraft often exceeds this minimum requirement.

With the Sportster, the rectangle piece I mention previously, will suffice just fine as an antenna ground plane even though the width might be less than the antenna length, the length of the aluminum will make up the difference along with the rest of the aluminum of the aircraft that will be attached to it by way of the enclosure and rest of the airframe.

Now, if you are planning on using the Dynon D10A, you might need not to follow my idea and revert to mount the comm antenna on the belly. This is because of the possibility of the antenna being to close to the electronic instrument and causing interference when you transmit. With steam guages, there's no issue.

Never the less, I'm quite impressed with your progress and quality of workmanship.

Wayne

ironcowboy

Senior Master Member E-8
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
105 as a pilot
Update on flight instruments and GPS.

Dynon EFIS D6 is $1600. Panel size is 4.90 Wide by 3.39 tall. The unit is 6.850” deep

The Anywhere Travel GPS docking station is 6.25” wide by 4.5” tall. The docking station is $100 not including the DC power supply. Due to location I won’t need an external antenna for the GPS, as view of the sky is unrestricted.

I took photos of the actual external dimensions of both units and taped them into position. As you can see, I still have enough room to wedge stuff into the panel. The remaining minimum gauges are, Oil PSI, Oil Temp and engine tachometer.

My fuel quantity gages are seat mounted sight tubes