HKS 700e

ddsrph

Aircraft
Vans RV3
Total Flight Time
I am interested in building a Dominator with the 60hp HKS engine. After much searching I found one Dominator has flown with this engine. (Carl Schnieder from Iowa) Is anyone familiar with Carl’s success with the HKS? I am new to gyros but have been flying for 49 years and plan to get plenty of training. Would a single place work well on the 60hp? I weight 160 lbs.
Thanks
JM

Carl Schnideder's gyroplane was not a Dominator. Some people called it a Carlinator. It was different in many details.
In my opinion a light gyroplane with a light pilot will fly well on 60 horsepower at sea level.

Thanks for the replies. I sent John a PM. I came across a post somewhere from a person with a lite weight fixed wing that had used a 503 then 582 and finally s HKS. He said the HKS was not quite the performance of the 582 but superior enough he would never go back. The weight is very close with the HKS less than 10 lbs heavier.

Your might want to check out hummelengines.com. These are assembled and test run unlike great plains. And lots of people are flying these on homebuilt aircraft. They have a price list on their site and are more affordable than the HKS.

I've flown a Dominator Ultrawhite with one. Would have loved more power but it was a nice flyer.Consider it comparable to a Rotax 503.

Thanks for the replies. They are expensive and on further looking getting near the price of a 80hp 912. I am going to Benson days and Sun and Fun and hope to learn more about which engine would work best for me.

The Yamaha three and four cylinder snow machine engines have gained a following in the gyro world, high HP. A lot of information on the forum about the conversions.

j bird;n1142951 said:
The Yamaha three and four cylinder snow machine engines have gained a following in the gyro world, high HP. A lot of information on the forum about the conversions.

What? No mention of Ralph Nader's favorite automobile's engine?

Come on-now, Kevin, you know you like the sound of that motor! Let Mr. Miller know some thing about the Yamaha!

Jay: He wrote he weighs 160#. The HKS w/ it's two cylinders would likely work just fine for him, since his location is under 1K'. One of your Corvair engine's cylinders would probably work for him...

Jim: Carl Schneider had his "Carl-inator" gyro for sale a couple years back, w/ it's HKS. I posted an ad for him here on the forum. He apparently was parting it out (undamaged), and selling it w/out it's N-#. He told me his price was $10K. I thought it was a steal, due to how well it flew and how quiet it was. You'd get a set of Dragon Wings, rotorhead, and the engine you're interested in for a steep discount to new.

Carl became a distributor for HKS in order to get a discount, and shared that discount w/ anyone who wanted one of their engines. I believe he had their turbo version, so I'd

Maybe give him a call. He might still have it. You'd most likely be able to gain immense knowledge from him, since he had done several things unique to the design, including doubling the rudder area, how he ran a 76" prop and he could go 90 mph rather quietly.

Here is the post from 14 months ago, and a photo of that 80 hp, twin carb HKS:

https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/sw...plane-for-sale

Attachments

• image_131658.jpg
    image_131658.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 13
I wonder about how viable the 2 cylinder version of the Yamaha engine would be for a light single place gyro....

The Yamaha snow machine engine isn't connected too the transmission, so that works for aviation. I don't know if any of there two cylinder engines have separated transmissions.

I just spoke with Carl, who is on his way to Bensen Days in Florida. He was passing through Mississippi as we talked.

His gyro parts are still for sale, per the ad of a year ago. He is not including the "N" with them.

But, the buyer will get an HKS turbo, which is a 2 cylinder, 80 hp engine. The HKS w/out turbo produces 60 hp. Carl switched to the turbo HKS when he moved to the wilds of mountainous New Mexico. Says the engine is a great performer.

He says the buyer then gets all the gyro parts for free. That includes the entire gyro frame set up, controls, double rudders, a set of 24' Dragon Wings rotor blades, two 76" Prince props (two bladed), and a 72" three bladed Warp Drive. The WD has extra hubs to convert it into a 2 bladed or 4 bladed prop, besides it being a 3 bladed one. Anyone in the market for propellers or a set of rotor blades knows how much they go for.

Carl says the 76" Prince prop doesn't put out as much thrust on the ground as it does up flying. Around 90 mph, he says the Prince is becomes most efficient.

A aluminum topped (and streamlined) trailer is available for an extra $2K.

Carl had a few interested buyers from this ad from a year ago, but no one stepped up. You can call him @ the number in the ad.

https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/sw...plane-for-sale

I am not compensated in any way in posting this for sale for Carl.

Thanks for the replies. I think HKS quit making the 80 hp turbo version after just a few years. Could be due to realibility issues. Similar to the VW’s trying to more hp that engine was originally designed for.