himax ultralight spring flying

gyrojeffro

Such a great airplane, it has a pretty small wing for a ultralight so It handles turbulence pretty good but not as good as a gyro! cruises 55-60 and burns around 1 gallon per hour.

DavePA11

I’d suggest on takeoff try to position the plane so it’s possible to do 180 when the engine fails... The 2 cycles always fail at some point during flight so best to be prepared especially on takeoff with so many trees.

gyrojeffro

I’d suggest on takeoff try to position the plane so it’s possible to do 180 when the engine fails... The 2 cycles always fail at some point during flight so best to be prepared especially on takeoff with so many trees.
Thanks dave! I like to practice for the real thing also. not just simulated but actually shutting the motor off in flight.

DavePA11

I prefer not to shut the engine off, but it will provide more realistic engine out experience. Some of the planes I have owned did not have starters so you are committed to get it down in one piece and have to judge strength off any head winds to make sure your high enough to clear trees without engine. You’ll figure out the glide ratio of your aircraft quickly. It looked like cruise altitude was around 500’ or lower so not much options from that altitude. Thanks for sharing the video!