Hiller Rotormatic Head?

Stephen Toor

Does anyone have drawings or parts breakdown pictures of the Hiller Rotormatic head? I have tried to search it out in the internet but can not find out how it works mechanically.

Thanks for the help

There's a chance you could get some help from the Hiller Museum at the San Carlos, CA airport -- it wouldn't hurt to try them

Here's a picture:
_MG_5928Teetering.jpg

Cyclic inputs from the swashplate go to the flybar & change the pitch of the paddles, it in turn moves the blades - that's why there's a lot of control lag compared to other teetering rotor types

The 2 arms you see sticking down & out from the top that connect to the rod sticking out of the leading edge of the blade grip are for collective pitch, the other two are counterweights to relieve collective forces.

When the paddles move in response to a cyclic input the rotor head tilts with them - they are rigidly attached in that axis, they can't flap independently.

so the only pitch change is just in the paddles, they inturn tilt the head on its pivot to change the angle of attack of the rotorblades as a unit?

Does the rotor head have one pivot then or two? One along the blades longitudinal axis for cyclic pitch and one along the lateral axis for teeter?

Two pivot points for the head plus the feathering hinge in each blade grip for collective pitch changes, you can see them in the photo I posted earlier.

wow, that is alot going on in that head.
The paddles are also in individual feathering bearing? looks like it since they run thru the center of the head and shaft.

Wish I could find a parts breakdown to see all the parts.

Thanks for the help

The paddles are also in individual feathering bearing? looks like it since they run thru the center of the head and shaft.
Correct - that's how the swashplate can control them in the first place, it changes their pitch & they fly to the new commanded position.

This is also why the swashplate moves backwards compared to most helicopters - fwd cyclic stick input makes the swashplate tilt back. And why they have that large amount of control lag too!

They were a little "laggy." I flew the B and C models in the National Guard. We used to say that you could put in a cyclic input and eat a sandwich before it took effect. The early ones had wooden blades. and on humid mornings, you could take a shower in the water slinging out of the blades. It took about 15 minutes of flight before the water all slung out and the blades got in balance, and then they' be smooth for the rest of the day.

Dr. Rob

hiller rotormatic

hiller rotormatic

Does anyone have drawings or parts breakdown pictures of the Hiller Rotormatic head? I have tried to search it out in the internet but can not find out how it works mechanically.

Thanks for the help[ ROTORMATIC confusion clearup, the blades do not change thier pitch cyclicly only collecectively,the complete rotor head is universaly mounted on the mast by a gimbal "hooks" joint, so the whole hub can tilt in any direction of the compass, not just see saw, this tilting is brought about by the paddle bar attached directly to the outer gimbal ring where the blade roots are attached, its only the paddles that pitch change cyclicly, one advantage of this system is that non symetrical blades can be used, wich give more lift for your buck,.........................Curtis