High time Helicycles ?

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Bryan- I cant answer in that in 2 sentences! The low idle screw was way too low. When I had my first flame out on Nov. 11th, 2010, it was the first time I had dropped collective with lots of power on. It didnt sink in until I did it later in the sping of 2011. I had the flameout again....and this time there were coincidental clues. This was the 2nd time I had dropped the collective after having a lot of power on to the turbine, both time now resulting in a flameout and a forced auto to the ground!!!! Finally....dots could be connected. I called Blake at the factory, picked his brains...then called Doug Schwochert. I told him the circumstances and he had me do some adjustments and called him back with some results. He had me keep screwing the idle stop up to the point where when the governor being shut of would see no rpm reduction. I called him back and told him the rpm's would not decrease now when the governor was shut off. Doug said I had found the sweet spot...and now to lower the low throttle set screw just a little....so that when the governor was shut off....the rpm's would s-l-o-w-l-y decrease. Mine used to just wind down and die. End of problem! I have done several aggressive full power collective drops over a grass runway....and the engine stays running nicely. It was simply the throttle control arm snapping back....and shutting off its fuel. Since then, I have read in the T-62 manual supporting evidence for just this happening.

Something had changed since Doug set it up on my checkout.....But now....everytime I shut the govenor off....I pay attention to verify that I see a slow decline in turbine rpm's. If I see it just fall off rapidly, and die...then I know I am back to where it was.

Since these flameouts...I have added a NO MFS, backup battery system, and trying my best to keep learning all I can. I believe it wont flameout for the above reasons again....but can it still flameout? Of course!! Any engine can quit.....so I practice my autos.

Stan

Last edited:

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
So ...
1. Idle stop was too low.
2. Idle stop was too low.

How's that? :)

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Bryan- Nothing was done between #1 and #2. It wasnt till I had enough clues that the solution was figured out.

Stan