High Altitude Gyro Flying

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
Any good books on flying around the mountains here? Thanks
Sparky Imeson has pretty much been the standard for 20+ years. Fletcher Anderson wrote a pretty good book on mtn flying. His book has really detailed explanations of mountain weather.
The link JR posted to the Colo pilots assn ground school is a good starting point. They do that course twice a year and you can follow it up with real world flight training by knowledgeable instructors.

Tony Steffani

I suggest you contact Joe Corsentino in Walsenburg. Joe has the Dairy on Hwy 10 5 miles east of town. He flew the KB3 for quit a few years and has excellent knowledge of that Gyro.

DavePA11

Sparky Imeson has pretty much been the standard for 20+ years. Fletcher Anderson wrote a pretty good book on mtn flying. His book has really detailed explanations of mountain weather.
The link JR posted to the Colo pilots assn ground school is a good starting point. They do that course twice a year and you can follow it up with real world flight training by knowledgeable instructors.
Thanks!!

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
I suggest you contact Joe Corsentino in Walsenburg. Joe has the Dairy on Hwy 10 5 miles east of town. He flew the KB3 for quit a few years and has excellent knowledge of that Gyro.
Tony, Did I meet you at the Pueblo airport in about 2015 when I stopped there on my way back from Oshkosh? I was flying a red Xenon.

Udi

Platinum Member
A longer rotor is always more efficient, in thinner air as well at sea level.
So, why not to choose a longer rotor, even for the sea level flight?
Exactly right. Rotor length needs to be optimized for the mission because there are benefits and compromises for every configuration. When I built a gyro for high altitude flying I used a rotor that was 2 ft longer than the same gyro at sea level because I didn’t want to have a dog. My objective was for the rotor to operate are 350 rpm under normal operating conditions and that’s exactly what I got, along with good climb rate, excellent stick response rare, etc. The same gyro with a sea level rotor would have different flying characteristics.

rwdreams

Udi, I have similar concern. I'm building a dominator and with the Yamaha engine, and higher altitude of 7000 ft I need 2 more ft of rotar than the 23 ft stock dragon. I could add 1 ft on the bar and use 24 ft sport copter blades. I could go bigger but at what point do I need to increase the mast ?

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
rwdreams:
I have a Tandem Dominator with 27' Dragonwings. My AUW is 710 pounds with 7 gallons of fuel and me. My RRPM at 65 mph straight and level IAS is 304. Yes, that is a little on the slow side; and I fly accordingly. That said, I still have great climb rate at 3500-4000 Density Altitude on the ramp. A couple years ago, I decided to do some climb tests. It was is the summer months and DA was like always was 3500'. I took her up to 5000' agl. From 500'agl to 5000'agl. It only took about 3 minutes. That is a DA of 8500'. I routinely see her go from rotate to 1000 agl in about 30 seconds. I have a 100 hp hirth and 72" three blade Warp Drive.
If I was to build today, it would be a Dominator with a Yamaha engine.
Wing/rotor load factor is calculated by Radius squared times pie divided into AUW.
27'/2=13.5; 13.5x13.5=182.25 times pie = 572.26. 710 divided by 572.26 = 1.24 wing load.
I think it is recommended for Gyros to have at least 1.3 for loading.
I will go out and measure the length of the mast, and come back and edit here for that.
Mast length is 68"
From the Teeter Bolt to the ground is 115"
you might try to get some hard numbers from the guys that are flying in the region you are wanting to go.
AUW and Rotor diameter and engine hp and prop pitch and diameter and thrust numbers .
Just thinking outside the box a bit

Last edited: