Hey Chuck, is a single 2x2x.125 6061T6 tube ok for a mast?

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
I am having to have weight as much as I can to make Part 103, really make it under 254 lbs. Would it be safe to use a single square tube 2x2x.125 6061T6 tube for my mast instead of the redundant mast?

It saves 3lbs over the redundant mast and if I remember right the Hornet I built many years ago used the single square tube for the mast.

I will keep the gross weight below 500 lbs. and the only holes drilled in the mast will be at the cluster plate.

Thanks

David

Chuck's 103 used round tubes for the entire ride. I'd copy his it is perfect.
One day I'd like PRA or manufacture to make a kit out of it.

Carbon fiber is the way to go for weight. However, it increases the cost.

Gyros 1&4 use(d) a single piece of 2x2x.125 6061-T-6. No holes in the middle. Also used a piece of 2.5" round x .083" 6061-T-6 tube on #2 and a piece of 2.25"x .058 Titanium tube on #3.

Last edited:
That is what I thinking I had read somewhere beside I think it was what I used on the Hornet I built, but that was 2004 I think.......I believe I am getting older now.............

Thanks John and John.....

Chuck's 103 used round tubes for the entire ride. I'd copy his it is perfect.
One day I'd like PRA or manufacture to make a kit out of it.

Yes, I even have a copy of Chuck's drawings. This is however beyond most builders. You have to be able to weld and some fittings have to be machined from raw stock.

David

Can you send me a copy? My email address is my Name John Rountree, with no spaces, '@MSN.com'
If you can I'll submit it to the 3 colleges and see if we can make a PRA kit for next years classes.

Square 2x2 tube is OK for the mast without holes at mid mast; use clamps instead.

Bensen picked square tube for ease of home building because through bolts can be used without internal spacers if located tangent to a wall.

OTH corner holes is the worst possible location from a structural standpoint.

Square tube exacerbates 2/rev vibration problems.

2.5x0.120” round tube has the same stiffness as 2” square tube.

My tailboom on top gyro is a good example of what not to do from a 2/rev vibration standpoint. The ‘slider” rotorhead was only a partial solution. It was built before Bell Helicopter’s chief engineer, Bartram Kelley*, wrote a series of articles about their 2/rev chase among other thing.

Last edited:
Can you send me a copy? My email address is my Name John Rountree, with no spaces, '@MSN.com'
If you can I'll submit it to the 3 colleges and see if we can make a PRA kit for next years classes.

Done, you have all the drawings that I got.

David

If we can get Chuck's permission?????

Just ask, that is what I did.

I can understand if he does not want them published. Liability reasons........this country has allowed to many frivolous lawsuits.

my .02