100_0004.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0005.jpg
    100_0005.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0006.jpg
    100_0006.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
this is curiosity not critism. Master; in post 54 if you reverse every second one and lay them out "tight" to each other, would it not save a lot of cutting ?

this is curiosity not critism. Master; in post 54 if you reverse every second one and lay them out "tight" to each other, would it not save a lot of cutting ?

Great question, and criticism is always welcome.
You are absolutely correct.
I don't think I could cut them accurate enough to do it that way.
Plus the layout would take longer than the time I have invested in the way I laid it out.
Once I cut them each pair is bolted together and sanded to shape.
Thank you for taking the time to look and comment.

That is why I put "tight" in quotes. Meaning as tight as your abilitys to cut allow. A long time ago I was a machinist, my disgust with the union enviroment caused me to walk away from the trade .I was young enough to believe the whole trade was that way, i didnt know it was just were I worked.

That is why I put "tight" in quotes. Meaning as tight as your abilitys to cut allow. A long time ago I was a machinist, my disgust with the union enviroment caused me to walk away from the trade .I was young enough to believe the whole trade was that way, i didnt know it was just were I worked.

Good point.I'll keep that in mind next time.
Thanks.

Did ya find a better job?

Better ? I loved mechanical design . I believe Ive been "lucky" all my bosses after were great. Ive built a lot of roads all over ontario. as surveyor , operator ,foreman , supervisor, truck driver.
A recent friend was a machinist trained in switzerland. I had the pleasure of watchimg him spit out parts as fast as a assembly line running six machines at once to tolerances I didn't think were possible while carrying on a conversation with me. WOW made me feel like the caveman watching a car drive down the road.

Have the cyclic done.
Still have to finish the stick socket once I bend the stick.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1
I think I'm becoming a groupie, Jake, following your progress on Facebook and here in parallel.

What is it with the threaded look of the holes? they are stepped with decreasing diameter, right? Saving weight while keeping strength?
There are many corners to clean, so I just wonder, why this way.

Kai.

Thanks Kai :)

I use a tool called a UNIBIT.
I do each side a half at a time.
It allows me to drill the hole in one shot and it deburs as it cuts.
Inside hole is 1/4" outside hole is 9/16".
I have about a half hour in all the holes.
It's that extra five minutes that make the difference.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 0
Not a builder craftsman myself Jake, but just in awe of your skills and the process. Almost tempted to try my hand and build a shop in my old age.

Thanks Jeff, but you have the best job in the world; you get to play with Boobies all day :)

The expense is not that large to have a small hobby shop.
I get a lot of satisfaction from building most of my components.
It keeps my mind and hands busy and is good therapy for an Ole Fart like me.
Plus the challenges I endure gives me a reason to exist.
I've lived in leisure since I retired in the year 2000,I've traveled the world,I've done all the retiree stuff and nothing brings me more pleasure than the challenge of designing and fabricating my own parts.
Get on board, I'm sure you will enjoy turning big chunks of metal into very small ones.

Stick and socket complete, just need a nice grip.

Attachments

• stick 002.jpg
    stick 002.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
  • stick 003.jpg
    stick 003.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2
  • stick 004.jpg
    stick 004.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2
Looking real good , Jake ! You need to sell a kit !

How do you attach the bearing blocks of the control stick to the forward keel ?

Last edited:
Started this Thursday and ended up with this Friday evening.
I built the prerotator wheel last week so that doesn't count.
Front end, tail, controls and landing gear, she will be airborn.

Jake , the cable on the prerotator appears to pull the wheel away from the drive plate ?? How do you engage it ?

I went back & looked closer........I see what you did..Duh !!

Is there a return spring to pull the wheel back ? Or just the one on the pull cable ?

Last edited:
Jake , the cable on the prerotator appears to pull the wheel away from the drive plate ?? How do you engage it ?

I went back & looked closer........I see what you did..Duh !!

Is there a return spring to pull the wheel back ? Or just the one on the pull cable ?

If you look at the last pic you will see the return spring.

Got my throttle thingy done :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2
I am going to throw mine in the trash..............Hey is that a Marshall amp in the background?
sorry A.D.D.

Norm,

It's done with inductive reactance, but your gonna need two 8d batteries to run the exciter. :)

It's not cold where you live , is it ?

It's never really cold up here , just cool enough to make good lift if you take off before sunrise, the only real challenge to early morning starts is getting the engine started, propane heaters don't work because on a cool morning propane has no pressure .
Norm