Help with wiring a 582 Rotax

Thechap

Aircraft
Air Command 503
Total Flight Time
12.5 hours
About to begin wiring of the 582 Rotax. I have the build manual but I have no idea what all the squiggly lines mean.

The instruments needing hooked up is a Hobbs meter, tachometer and water. I also need to hook up the on and off switch for the ignition. I also need to know how to wire the two toggle switches for the mag checks, I installed a Key West voltage regulator and plan to use a small battery which will be installed behind the seat.

Coming off the engine are 1 yellow wire, 1 yellow wire with a black stripe, 1 black wire and 1 black wire with a yellow stripe. Also a brown wire which is attached to the engine block and which I am assuming is the ground wire.

The first thing I want to wire is the voltage regulator. The next is the Hobbs meter. I only want the Hobbs meter to work when the engine is running, so where do I wire the Hobbs meter to the voltage regulator. I wanted to wire the battery and then either wire the instruments that need electricity either to the regulator or the battery.

Hell, I just confused myself!

Attached is a photo of the regulator and the wires.

Attachments

• Key West voltage.JPG
    Key West voltage.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Wiring.JPG
    Wiring.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 6
Hello Chap

Simple wiring once to get know what goes where, you have 2 AC volt coming out the engine, 2 mag wires and 1 for the Engine RPM.

OK now 2 yellow wires are AC going to regulator no polarity + or - from regulator red + and black - to battery.

2 black mag cancel wires, these are grounded to kill the engine and must be grounded when plugs removed, on is off and off is on. Temporary grounded from the factory.

Now the last one is engine RPM pick up pulse wire to special 1 cylinder RPM meter.

You have mounted the regulator on the battery bracket, move the Regulator on the mast next to the fuel pump.

Have to have a on/off switch with small indication light, for Hobbs and RPM meter etc
comming from the battery.

Mount the battery 20 Amps at a location to pass the hang test of 1 to 4 degrees nose down at the mast.

Good Luck
Rehan

Rehan,

Not sure if I'm going to use the battery. I don't have electric start. There is no need to charge my radio.

How would I hook up minus the battery?

You need a rectifier to manage 12 volt items not a battery regulator/charger.
582 must have 1 amp load on its charging system of 175 watts.

You can use dummy load of 1 amp or light or small 12 volt battery.

Chap,
Hook both yellow wires to the regulator and get your hot and ground 12v from
the regulator you don't need a battery when the engine is running you will
have 12 volts for running hobbs lights etc. when the engine stops powers off.
This info came from Key West when I did my install.
I did hook mine to a switch so I could kill the power if a problem arises in
flight.

Jamie or anyone else that would like to chime in.

I'm running the wires to the toggle switches for the mag checks. I have the wires run from the engine up to where the instrument panel will be located. The next wires I need to run I believe will be the grounds for these toggle switches, right. If this is true can I pig tie off one toggle switch and run one wire to the ground for both switches, or does each toggle switch need it's own ground wire.

Second question, I picked up a toggle switch dedicated for the master on/off switch. To wire this one do I again run wires from the mags at the engine up to this toggle switch and then run ground wires back, one for each mag? Or can I pig tail this one?

Someone in another post that I had made said something to the effect on is off and off is on?:help:

Thanks!

Chap,
Hook both yellow wires to the regulator and get your hot and ground 12v from
the regulator you don't need a battery when the engine is running you will
have 12 volts for running hobbs lights etc. when the engine stops powers off.
This info came from Key West when I did my install.
I did hook mine to a switch so I could kill the power if a problem arises in
flight.

Each mag switch needs its own ground wire. The switch itself should be a 24V aviation quality switch. Open will be on, closed will be off which is the opposite of a light switch, for example.
Run a separate wire for the master power and a separate ground if possible.
The Key West rectifier will indeed power your 12VDC accessories without a battery. That is what I'm running.

Larry,

For the ignition master on/off, I will need a wire to each mag as well as separate ground no?

No.
The master uses the 12VDC OUTPUT of the rectifier and has no connection to the mags.
Except that they are all grounded, preferably to the engine block.