Helmets, What is working the best?

Steve Weir

Dragonfly
Aircraft
Dragonfly and building a Littlewing LW4
Total Flight Time
200 hrs PIC Gyroplane
I am looking at new helmets and wondering what you guys are having the best experience with. I am leaning towards the Fulmer 3/4 motorcycle style helmets that Comtronics have (the HF and 9b). Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
I have a military SPH-4 Helicopter helmet. I had to change the electronic in it to make it work with my hand held icom radio. I'm still not satisfied with the audio volume in the ear phones. I'm going to try the CEP ear phones in the future with it. All this to say, the helicopter helmet is cool but you'll have to monkey with it to get it working good.

I also have one of the Pro-com flight helmets Tim mentioned. I used it at Bensen Days with a good noise canceling headset and it worked great. I found a flight helmet visor kit for it on ebay and it works great.

Attachments

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
I'm not sold on the protection offered by the helmets that work with separate headsets. In a hard side impact, the headset is going to transmit the force to the portion of your skull surrounding your ear, whereas a one-piece helmet with internal recesses for earcups looks like it would spread the impact force out more evenly.

Steve, Comtronics looks to have some nice products at fair prices, and I like your two choices. The major difference looks to be the availability of the internal sun shield on the 9B, while the HF requires changing the entire face shield to get sun protection. (I do like that "Metallic Wine" color on the HF!)

I'd need to be pretty sure they'd work over my glasses, but from what I've heard, the folks at this company will honestly advise you on such things. I also appreciate their ability to set them up with the correct impedances for either handhelds or GA panel radios.

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
Helipaddy has a motor-bike helmet and fitted a CEP kit to it. That seems to be a great combination.

Kai.

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
I have a full-face Fulmer from Comtronics. Visibility isn't so good, and it doesn't seal the ears well at all, making it noisy. It is also too hot for summer use. But, on a plus side, the mic works very well and doesn't get wind noise. I use it as my cold-weather helmet.

I much prefer the Comtronics generic helment with cut-outs for standard "any brand" aviation headphones. This is possibly because I have a box full of standard headphones from FW applications. The only thing I do not like about that helmet is the tilt up full-face shield. If you turn your head the wind flops it open and I have always been afraid it would unsnap and go find the prop. I don't use the face shield anymore. They make ATV goggles that fit over my glasses, and I'm pretty happy with the combination of stock headphones, the cut-out helmet and ATV goggles. I do have to battle wind noise on the mic, though.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
I'm not sold on the protection offered by the helmets that work with separate headsets. In a hard side impact, the headset is going to transmit the force to the portion of your skull surrounding your ear, whereas a one-piece helmet with internal recesses for earcups looks like it would spread the impact force out more evenly..
I would agree with you if that was about full-face.

The comtronics helmets with their own head phones in them are held on my small plastic bits. The shell is identical. I see no impact advantage to this.

brett s

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
none currently
Total Flight Time
1300 helicopter
I have an SPH-4, there are better options now but I've had this one forever.

I was used to wearing one of those from my Army days, just kept using it when I got into ag work.

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
Tim, what changes did you have to make? Was it just the plugs or do you have to do something with the earphones as well? I've been given the pick of my dad's Army SPH-4 or another model he used when in the Coast Guard. I think the Coast Guard one has dual face shields for clear and shaded. I'll chose one and then paint it. You mentioned audio was not great.

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Brian,
At first I used an adapter cable that changed the impedance from Military to civilian ($75). I used it like that when I flew with a friend in his FW ultralight and it worked great. When I started flying my gyro I had a problem with feedback when I transmitted. Several people convinced me it was the mic so I replaced it with a civilian mic and bypassed the adapter cable electronics for the mic. My feedback problem turned out to be my hand held radio antenna being to close to my helmet mic (my radio was sitting on top of my thigh). I extended the rubber ducky antenna to the front of my instrument pod and I didn't have any more problems with feedback. When flying I have a hard time hearing radio transmissions through my earphones. I replaced the ear cups seals but it still isn't as good as I'd like. The CEP ear pieces are my next step. They make a conversion for the SPH-4 helmet. That may solve the problem and if it does that'll be great. My SPH-4 only has the tinted visor. I wear contacts so I have to wear clear goggles for them so I only need the tinted visor. I can raise it up if I need to.

Hardy

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Air Command
Total Flight Time
530 Gyro
Tim I'am using a SPH-4 also I added the CEP system and it made all the difference in the world.

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
The CEP earpieces have to be minded and handled with care. at the beginning I used them with a full face Arai helmet and a Dave clark M7a Electret mic. I had two earpiece sets fail in the wiring close to the earbuds and also found that the wind would activate the vox on the ELA whaen I was sitting in the back when the machine was a bit out of trim. Ive gone to a Microavionics helmet with a Neoprene airdam at the bottom of the visor

Steve Weir

Dragonfly
Aircraft
Dragonfly and building a Littlewing LW4
Total Flight Time
200 hrs PIC Gyroplane
Padraic, how did you mount the mic? Did you mount it to the helmet or another method?

flyguy44

Aircraft
Just sold Astra HKS trike and buying a HoneyBee G2 Tandem
Total Flight Time
Is anyone using the Flycom headsets or Flycom integrated into their helmet? I am switching from Lynx system with my Icom A6 to Flycom and I am leaning towards buying their headsets with a separate comfortable helmet. I am a bit reluctant to go with the CEP earpieces with different passengers exchanging ear wax, but I am willing to listen as to best way to go.

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
Steve
I mounted the mic with a ty-wrap through the vent in the front of the helmet