Hello all,

Ok, spill the beans what and where is Mentone.
The Popular Rotorcraft Association owns the airport (C92) in Mentone, Indiana.

Each year they have their annual convention there.

This year it is from July 31 to August 3.

You can find out more here: https://pra.org/convention/

David, your motorcycle experience will help you to learn to fly a gyroplane.

To turn a gyroplane left you bank left with left pressure on the cyclic and when you reach the appropriate bank angle you relax the pressure on the cyclic.

When you are finished with the turn you put right pressure on the cyclic you are level again.

I feel this multistep process is very much like the way you bank a motorcycle.

The risk mitigation you have learned to ride a motorcycle is a lot like aviation decision making in a gyroplane.

Your experience will make you easier to teach.

Ok, spill the beans what and where is Mentone.
Mentone is in Northern Indiana. It’s west of Warsaw. It is a tiny town and home to the PRA airport. The PRA is the gyro version of the EAA.

They have the national fly-in there in August usually. It’s a fun environment. Since it’s owned by Gyro people we face none of the usual discrimination by fixed wing pilots whom look down their nose at us. We have been kicked out of many airports because of this. Heck in the late 80’s my friend Davie Seace was flying back to our place from an airport about 40 miles away. He had an issue with the engine and made a precautionary landing at an RC park with a tiny paved runway. Instead of what we figured after would be a friendly explanation of what happened, we were told to pack our toy up and never come back. They were looking down their nose down at us.

This is the reason the group lead by Gary Goldsbury bought this airport in the middle of corn country. It’s a great time. I went four or five years in a row.

David, your motorcycle experience will help you to learn to fly a gyroplane.

To turn a gyroplane left you bank left with left pressure on the cyclic and when you reach the appropriate bank angle you relax the pressure on the cyclic.

When you are finished with the turn you put right pressure on the cyclic you are level again.

I feel this multistep process is very much like the way you bank a motorcycle.

The risk mitigation you have learned to ride a motorcycle is a lot like aviation decision making in a gyroplane.

Your experience will make you easier to teach.
I kind of thought that. You are using both hands and feet to ride a motorcycle, similar to a gyroplane. Actually while airborne on a motorcycle you can control flight from take off to landing a bit with throttle brake and leverage between your hands and feet through your torso as well. Or even scrub the take off at the top of the jump. I do appreciate the encouragement.

Mentone is in Northern Indiana. It’s west of Warsaw. It is a tiny town and home to the PRA airport. The PRA is the gyro version of the EAA.

They have the national fly-in there in August usually. It’s a fun environment. Since it’s owned by Gyro people we face none of the usual discrimination by fixed wing pilots whom look down their nose at us. We have been kicked out of many airports because of this. Heck in the late 80’s my friend Davie Seace was flying back to our place from an airport about 40 miles away. He had an issue with the engine and made a precautionary landing at an RC park with a tiny paved runway. Instead of what we figured after would be a friendly explanation of what happened, we were told to pack our toy up and never come back. They were looking down their nose down at us.

This is the reason the group lead by Gary Goldsbury bought this airport in the middle of corn country. It’s a great time. I went four or five years in a row.
Not sure if I will be up and running for this August so I would not be flying in, but someday. I am used to having people look down their nose at me, I drive a Nissan Titan XD and pull a fifth wheel. Go ahead haze away…. I’ll check out PRA.

Not sure if I will be up and running for this August so I would not be flying in, but someday. I am used to having people look down their nose at me, I drive a Nissan Titan XD and pull a fifth wheel. Go ahead haze away…. I’ll check out PRA.
You don't need to flyin. Drop in for a day or 2. I'm planning my first visit this year, hope to trailer in 2 Aviomanias. Looking forward to meeting folks and sharing my experiences with others.

Last edited:
It’s loosely called a Fly-in. Never have been many who fly in to our gatherings. It’s just a meeting of like minded people. It’s a way we can infect our obsession and love for a very obscure flying machine. I promise the first time you go for a flight you will have a permanent smile on your face. This is a 3d woods bike.

It’s loosely called a Fly-in. Never have been many who fly in to our gatherings. It’s just a meeting of like minded people. It’s a way we can infect our obsession and love for a very obscure flying machine. I promise the first time you go for a flight you will have a permanent smile on your face. This is a 3d woods bike.
Wahoo, as long as I don’t get a whiff of two cycle exhaust I will be ok. That is like a needle in the arm to me…..
Is there space for a truck and a 33’ fifth wheel? Maybe I will try to get out there, I better check the site… fell asleep last night before I looked.

Wahoo, as long as I don’t get a whiff of two cycle exhaust I will be ok. That is like a needle in the arm to me…..
Is there space for a truck and a 33’ fifth wheel? Maybe I will try to get out there, I better check the site… fell asleep last night before I looked.
Oh there used to be tons of that. Since most have gone to the bougie gyros they use 4 strokes. There are quite a few machines are still powered by 582 Rotax engines. There are a few flying 670 Rotax Sled engines. I built one using that. My friend Barry uses one on his olive drab Rocket known as a dominator. If you haven’t ever seen it, do yourself a favor go on YouTube and look up Barry Thigpen or aerobic Gyro. The man flies it like he stole it and does things that it was never designed to do. My father, who designed it, him fly over to him and stop doing that. Barry said what and why? Dad said all of it it’s not designed to do any of it.

The cool thing about watching Barry fly is he uses castor bean oil so not only do you get a show but an amazing smell that if you rode two stroke motorcycles will immediately take you back in time behind your buddy that used it.

Oh there used to be tons of that. Since most have gone to the bougie gyros they use 4 strokes. There are quite a few machines are still powered by 582 Rotax engines. There are a few flying 670 Rotax Sled engines. I built one using that. My friend Barry uses one on his olive drab Rocket known as a dominator. If you haven’t ever seen it, do yourself a favor go on YouTube and look up Barry Thigpen or aerobic Gyro. The man flies it like he stole it and does things that it was never designed to do. My father, who designed it, him fly over to him and stop doing that. Barry said what and why? Dad said all of it it’s not designed to do any of it.

The cool thing about watching Barry fly is he uses castor bean oil so not only do you get a show but an amazing smell that if you rode two stroke motorcycles will immediately take you back in time behind your buddy that used it.
Ya, I watched a few of those videos. Not sure that I will be doing all of that. I think that he was flying backwards a couple of times…..