Hello all

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
I have a friend who was in the Coast Guard. He thought he'd be out there doing exciting things like rescuing people, but instead he said he spent most of his time painting buoys.
He later joined the ARNG and was in Bosnia with me, and then went to Iraq. Well, he got his fill of excitement there.

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
My secret literary vice was Robert Heinlein juvenile series books. The first I read was "Have Spacesuit, will travel" when I was about 10.

I have probably read every word he wrote as I have aged. I hesitate to mention this, because of the horrible movie they made, but "Starship Troopers" is still one of my favorites.

I bought cases of this book during my military career, and in my subsequent civilian gigs. I would issue the book to my subordinates, then during meetings we would dissect any possible lessons learned.

For example:
5. "Our behavior is different. How often have you seen a headline like this?--TWO DIE ATTEMPTING RESCUE OF DROWNING CHILD. If a man gets lost in the mountains, hundreds will search and often two or three searchers are killed. But the next time somebody gets lost just as many volunteers turn out. Poor arithmetic, but very human. It runs through all our folklore, all human religions, all our literature--a racial conviction that when one human needs rescue, others should not count the price."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

If you have a few minutes, you may enjoy reading a few of these: https://www.aamboli.com/quotes/book/starship-troopers

Jim

Attachments

• Have_Space_suit.jpg
    Have_Space_suit.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

okikuma

My secret literary vice was Robert Heinlein juvenile series books. The first I read was "Have Spacesuit, will travel" when I was about 10.

I have probably read every word he wrote as I have aged. I hesitate to mention this, because of the horrible movie they made, but "Starship Troopers" is still one of my favorites.

I bought cases of this book during my military career, and in my subsequent civilian gigs. I would issue the book to my subordinates, then during meetings we would dissect any possible lessons learned.

For example:
5. "Our behavior is different. How often have you seen a headline like this?--TWO DIE ATTEMPTING RESCUE OF DROWNING CHILD. If a man gets lost in the mountains, hundreds will search and often two or three searchers are killed. But the next time somebody gets lost just as many volunteers turn out. Poor arithmetic, but very human. It runs through all our folklore, all human religions, all our literature--a racial conviction that when one human needs rescue, others should not count the price."

If you have a few minutes, you may enjoy reading a few of these: https://www.aamboli.com/quotes/book/starship-troopers

Jim
Jim,

Life lessons are ageless. You enjoyed those books because within the written words, there were life lessons that positively influenced your life along with the pure entertainment value. Nothing juvenile about that nor should there be any shame in continuing to enjoy as an adult.

Wayne

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
I agree Wayne,

There are many things that mold our mind and our character. I used this book as a "leadership" tool with my young leaders and leaders in waiting. I hope, even if they thought the "old man" was OLD, they "thought".

The neat thing about using a written "study guide" is you don't have to agree with everything written therein, you just need to think about those concepts.

I hope some of my aviator brethren read a few of these gems and ponder them. Remember, this was written in 1959.

Here's two more:

"This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted . . . and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

"Citizenship is an attitude, a state of mind, an emotional conviction that the whole is greater than the part...and that the part should be humbly proud to sacrifice itself that the whole may live."

Jim

Last edited:

okikuma

I have a friend who was in the Coast Guard. He thought he'd be out there doing exciting things like rescuing people, but instead he said he spent most of his time painting buoys.
He later joined the ARNG and was in Bosnia with me, and then went to Iraq. Well, he got his fill of excitement there.
Perhaps at that time within the USCG your friend was an E-2 or E-3 "Non-Rate." Meaning he didn't possess a CG equivalent of an MOS by completing an "A" school or through on the job apprenticeship program, so he spent most of his time performing "maintenance duties."

Wayne

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
Perhaps at that time within the USCG your friend was an E-2 or E-3 "Non-Rate." Meaning he didn't possess a CG equivalent of an MOS by completing an "A" school or through on the job apprenticeship program, so he spent most of his time performing "maintenance duties."

Wayne
Swabbing the deck? Or painting?

querist

An acquaintance of mine (USMC) was in Iraq and was with his sergeant as a group of soldiers were on their morning run, each soldier running in his own cadence. While the Marines were laughing, the sergeant chided them, saying, "Don't laugh. They're being all that they can be."

(Disclaimer: I am the son of a Marine)

okikuma

I once gave a briefing to a group of Marines, E-5 and below. At that age and level of training, they possess a short attention span. After a short period of time, a young Corporal in the front row started to get up and leave the room. I stopped my briefing and asked the Corporal where he was going? This information I'm presenting is very important. The Corporal answered, "Sir, I'm going to get a haircut." I then said, "Corporal, you should have gotten your haircut before you had to attend this briefing." His reply, "Sir, I didn't need a haircut when you started."

Bada boom.

Wayne

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
I don't know Wayne, I may have to hoist the Boolsheet flag on that one.....let's see, you were giving a briefing to Marines......and you didn't mention the needed "happy Meals" necessary to keep them from ingesting the crayons you undoubtedly handed out.....
And on top of that, one of the bullet sponges actually talked back to you?

I don't know.......I just do not know.....

okikuma

I don't know Wayne, I may have to hoist the Boolsheet flag on that one.....let's see, you were giving a briefing to Marines......and you didn't mention the needed "happy Meals" necessary to keep them from ingesting the crayons you undoubtedly handed out.....

LOL

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
I would have believed the story if you had substituted Squids for Marines. It would have been even more believable if you had been talking about ARMY pukes; AKA doggies. And if you had been briefing Air Farce personnel, it would have to have been between 0930 and 1630. They're at the club or asleep other times.

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+

Yeah they don’t speak they just grunt. My best friend is a jarhead. I call him when I have customer that is a devil dog. He translates for me. Lol

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
Jim, we had all manner of records from the original UXB guys at school, but it wasn't till I got to R&T and the ATF LEO clearances that I was able to delve into the Bomb data reports.
It was a mish mash of morons and kids and overzealous cops who just watched a Stallone movie as you would imagine, but every so often one came along and just made you whistle!
I know this is thread drift here, but the "Gov't attaché case" was such a piece of artwork, there was NO DOUBT it was a manufactured item. I suspect Israel or US, but it had traits of South African as well. X-ray proof unless you already knew what you were looking for, and when it was recovered (unused thankfully) we had not had TSA yet.
they had machine coiled 75 feet of 7.5 gpf Det Cord under each leather side with a pattern on the outside in the leather so it looked like stitching, the dials for the lock were used for setting the delay time, and it had a chemical battery like a poleroid cart, so until you set time on dial wheels then pull foil strip, it was a s safe as any briefcase. Recovered late 70's if I recall....no idea who made it or how many, but the why is obvious.
Those of you not familiar with Det Cord, 150 of it will take any plane in history out of the sky instantly.
There were others.......