Helicycle with Jabiru engine?

jmd4j

I've been a lurker now for a few years taking in all I can on the Helicycle but ran across this video that perked my interest. With all the talk of the dwindling supply of turbines, I thought this might be appropriate to post, as I hadn't seen it posted anywhere in the past. This guy looks like he has a Jabiru 2200 installed on his. Viable solution maybe? I know it doesn't have that turbine sound (or power I'm guessing), it looks promising from this short video.

helicycle - YouTube

Sorry, I couldn't embed it for some reason.

Last edited:
Those engines are prone to quit. I would not put one on anything that has to run red-line for continuous operation.

Pick a different engine. Jabiru has a lot of cooling issues and quality control issues. Plus I don't think power to weight ratio wise it's going to work out.

If you don't want to pay big bucks for the turbine why not just get a Mosquito ?

I believe there has been some discussion recently on an alternate Helicycle power plant. I commend anybody who has the determination to come up with something other than the T62 Solar turbine.

...but,

In my opinion, the Helicycle is not a Helicycle without the turbine. A new engine might make a fantastic machine, but it won't be a Helicycle any more...good, bad, or otherwise.

Mylo

...but seriously, haven't heard anything new, what are Eagle R&D's thoughts on engine availability? If the T-62 shortage is looming so large, that could put a serious damper on sales. It would be a shame to lose the Helicycle kit due to lack of engine availability...

Most likely the Eastern European company that makes the engine for the jet powered Sonex could come up with something and it probably would be better albeit more expensive though.

Dane- Eagle R&D is developing their own turbine. I may not be as optimistic on this as outcome as I am on other things.

But, they are working on it.

Having flown a turbine, it has ruined me. It is so smooth, quiet and dependable. It does burn more fuel, but there is more enjoyment per dollar of fuel, for my situation.

Stan

This guy looks like he has a Jabiru 2200 installed on his. Viable solution maybe?

Thanks for posting the link Jody. Neat installation, will be good to hear from him, especially his temp and RPM numbers.

Pick a different engine. Jabiru has a lot of cooling issues and quality control issues. Plus I don't think power to weight ratio wise it's going to work out.

Hi Randolph, I am not so sure about your comment about reliability and cooling. There has been a lot of further development at Jabiru, the latest engines in production are a far superior engine that the originals. The components have been optimised for endurance. I agree, the originals has given the product confidence a knock, but that is a thing from the past.

That engine is now supplied in vast numbers to the UAV industry, it has taken over where the Rotax used to fit in.

Cheers,

Francois

Stan, Maybe that's the best way of saying it.."more enjoyment per dollar of fuel". ....less actual flying time per $100 bill, but that time is spent with a perma grin :D. as opposed to a ...concerned grin. :suspicious: from some piston engine.

....to say nothing of maintaining things between flights.

I remain on the side of the fuel guzzling turbine.

Mylo

I wholeheartedly agree. The Helicycle isn't a Helicycle without a turbine, and never will be. On the other hand, it's also a paperweight if these turbines keep being snatched up.

I think the issues have been worked out also with the Jabiru, as they've came leaps and bounds forward in the last couple of years, expecially from the cooling aspect. I was also mistaken in my first post. It's not the 2200, it's the 3300 (120hp). He's posted a couple of more videos I noticed this morning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still on the turbine's team too! I just like seeing these folks experimenting with different engines, whether it's on a Helicycle or on some stuck wing...especially with it being a 4 stroke.

Last edited:
Stan,

Thanks, I had heard they were working on one, but given EVERYBODY else's record of developing their own turbine engine for anything, I sadly have low expectations. Just the fact that there is a turbine alternative out there pretty much precludes me from even looking at any piston helicopters. I just hope that when I can actually afford to throw the money down (isn't it amazing how things ALWAYS come up when you are close?) it is still an option. Otherwise, I will just be without helicopter (or just buy a used one).

Edit:
Just looked at the PBS engine linked above: really nice, but it has $$$$$$$$ written all over it!

jmd, I think we are all saying the same thing, that being, a Helicycle with an alternate power plant is better than no Helicycle at all.....but once that alternate is found, maybe a name change would be in order as many Helicycle enthusiasts seem to feel that the turbine makes the Helicycle a Helicycle. Any other engine turns the airframe into a different flying machine. Maybe some fantastic 4 stroke piston powered Helicycle is just around the corner. If it is, maybe it should be called the Helicycle-P3200 ...or whatever the cc displacement is.

Two variants:

Helicycle-T62
Helicycle-P3200

...just a thought.

Mylo