helicycle vs mosquito 285

helicrazy

helicrazy
Aircraft
helicycle , 500D, bell-47G2, UH1B, R22, TH-55, 300 ,jet ranger
Total Flight Time
has anyone ever flown a helicycle and a mosquito 285 ,if so are flight characteristics similar because i owned a helicycle and absolutely loved it but it is far more complicated and the mosquito 285 seems to be a very simple and safe helicopter and the factory support is awesome not to mention cheaper and better fuel economy , i just don't know if i can ever be happy without that turbine whining and the power thanks

grevis

Aircraft
Mosquito XE285
You could go for the Mosquito XET and still get the turbine.

I have a 285 and have had a lot of problems around the 2 stroke engine, but word is that the factory are releasing a major electrical/control upgrade for that engine at their upcoming flyin event in april that should solve a lot of weaknesses and bump power to the same as the turbine (90hp). Look for talk on a mosquito 290.

helicrazy

helicrazy
Aircraft
helicycle , 500D, bell-47G2, UH1B, R22, TH-55, 300 ,jet ranger
Total Flight Time
You could go for the Mosquito XET and still get the turbine.

I have a 285 and have had a lot of problems around the 2 stroke engine, but word is that the factory are releasing a major electrical/control upgrade for that engine at their upcoming flyin event in april that should solve a lot of weaknesses and bump power to the same as the turbine (90hp). Look for talk on a mosquito 290.
i am aware of the xet and have been going to the mosquito fly ins for 10 years waiting for a reliable engine i just like the factory support nice guys just want to fly a 285 before i buy one but guess that want happen although i did let tubo eddie fly my helicycle before he bought it because i had known of him from rotor wing forum thanks

DavePA11

Factory support is amazing. Friend had a Mosquito and the MZ202 failed causing some damage on the gear and boom, and they came out and helped put everything back together and answered all my questions while I was “helping”. The owner had a couple more engine outs, and the last one the pilot had to landing in a lake. Must be an odd feeling touching down on top of water, and then slowly sink into the water until rotors hit the water.

Mosquito being pulled out of lake

1617468129745.jpeg

Last edited:

grevis

Aircraft
Mosquito XE285
They have a field maintenance technician Mike Messex who has always been really great at answering questions where he can. The factory is good too. Have even managed to talk to Dwight before although seems a rather busy guy. I'm overseas (New Zealand) so that support has been great, but always wish I had an opportunity for someone who knew the XE285 inside out and had been in and flown others to check over my machine.

I have tried making an engine balancer for my 285 engine. The factory wasn't really too interested, but when I mentioned in to the field tech Mike he was very curious about how it worked and keen to see photos etc...