Helicycle quick stops, hovering, etc.

Great video, You look like you were having a great time flying and doing the demo!

Stay safe.

Heath- Doing quick stops are fun and are a very necessary maneuver to get proficient at. There is a lot going on. You come in, give it backstick with just the right amount of down collective to not balloon up, and not too much to descend. Meanwhile your right pedal is being applied just the correct amount to stop any right yaw from the torque being reduced to the rotor. Both the cyclic, collective and pedal inputs are smoothly changing positions until the helicopter is stopped. Then forward cyclic is applied to level the skids, up collective to maintain consistent skid height, and left pedal to stop left yaw from the torque being reintroduced into the rotor. The more aggresive the quick stop, the more back stick, down collective, and right pedal are required, and the timing exponentially more precise as it hsappens much quicker. For me, when I first started doing quick stops, it was always with wide open space ahead of me. It took some getting used flying through my channel, doing that left turn, and then coming at a dead end wall of trees and my stairshop. The quick stop has to be done as the trees are just right there. Doing that went against my engrained reactions from years of flying airplanes and gyros. You just don't head into a dead end like that. Those quick stops are aggressive, but not as aggressive as I have seen another Helicycle do. In my opinion, my nose looked like it is around a 45 degree angle, and as can be seen, it stops very quickly. Any more aggresive quick stops, decelerating from a much higher speed over a longer period of time, with full fuel and a high DA could see a VRS develop. Stan

Last edited:
Scott- thanks.......It is easy! If this ham fisted pilot can do it, anyone can! I have a lot more to learn, but am enjoying the helicopter 101 course I am taking right now. I hope to graduate from my fledgling pilot status in a few years. I need a lot more hours and effort to get there. Stan

Mike- Thanks for doing this time lapse photo from that video of a quick stop.

Stan

Attachments

• Quick stop.jpg
    Quick stop.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
Stan just loved the precision flying proficiency you have achieved with your beautiful machine. Just love the fairings on the gear, a marvelous .job, on an already impressive build.

Great video

Stan...
Your welcome...!

I had some time on my hands...and saw that you requested a "still" from your quick stop.
Knowing how to do these kind of "Computer" things, I chopped together a bunch of "print screen" shots which came directly from the video that was posted...and Voila..!!

A Photo time lapse..!
Glad you liked it..!

M-M.

Leigh- Thanks for the kind comments. I am so happy with my decision to make those fairings. The Helicycle is very easy to make it do what you are thinking. Mike- Again, I really appreciate that time lapse quick stop. I want to go down to Kinkos and have a large one made for my hanger wall. Is it possible to have that put into an "action" avatar? Stan

Last edited:
hey stan- that is so cool. my computer is on the fritz right now and i havent been able to post on my last training flight. (it was tough. lots of wind). im at work right now and about to go out in the field. so i have to go. hopefully my computer gets fixed a little later this week and i can get my post going again!!

Stan, nice work! It makes it looks real good when you recover in a perfect hover!
I am on my third hour of training in the R22. I can hover, fly the pattern, taxi and now am working on quick stops.
When you got your heli endorsement, what requirements did you have to meet? The head guy at the flight school looked it up and said I just needed a sign off from the instructor and a check ride. I won't need the mandatory 20 hours in the r22 unless I want to fly it solo.
Thanks
Brad

Brad- I had a PPSEL rating.....no rotorcraft category. I HAD to have 10 hours of solo time.....and the R22 requires 20 hours of dual before I could solo. Then I had to have 3 hours of checkride training within 60 days of the checkride.

Jeb and Brad - thanks for the comments. Next to being able to hover anywhere....doing quck stops to a hover is my 2nd biggest thrill in a helicopter. It just never gets boring to me.

Stan