Helicycle Pitch Horn Design

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Some guy, and I can't remember who or where, said he'd like to see B.J.'s presentation on how he designed the Helicycle blade pitch horns.

Well, I found it and converted the video to digital. Tonight before I go to bed, I'll start it uploading, so expect it tomorrow.

bryan. that was me. i would love to see the whole series if videos you have. can i pay you for a copy when you come down?

Ok

Ok

bryan. that was me. i would love to see the whole series if videos you have. can i pay you for a copy when you come down?

I'll just bring them. I couldn't find but 5 or 6 and I know there was at lest 10.
You copy them and send them back to me.

The Pitch horn video will be here in an hour or so.

Last edited:
that is great video. i can't wait to see the rest. it give me confidence in knowing i am goung to be trusting my life to these parts real soon.

titanhank- If you have seen the Helicycle pitch horn in person....it is massive and has a very strong look to the eye. In my opinion...the rod ends would fail before the pitch horn broke.

The whole machine is about as rugid as a tank. Just go up to the tail longerons...grab ahold....with the owners permission of course!!.....and give it a left and right...for and aft .....or up and down shake. You could hang from that tail boom without distorting it. I believe good design is why I havent even had to adust my drive belts since they broke in at 10 hours...or any other adustment that would change with hours of use.

I am sure you consulted several Helicycle pilots like I did....and listened to the likes and dislikes of the Helicycle. The likes far outweighed the dislikes as far as my survey found.

You will just add to the positive testimonies....would be my prediction.

Stan

From what I have experienced, the Helicycle is the toughest built experimental out there. Everyone that has looked at my machine has had the very first comment be "This thing looks like it is really well built."

Todd- About a year ago the whole fleet surpassed 5000 hours. I would guess that with all of us flying...its over 6000 hours now. I honestly dont know of a more trouble free non-certified helicopter. I a lot of time trying to find something to adjust or fix. Just miniscule petty things so far.

Stan

stan. i have no doubts now or before i bought my helicycle. i just like to study helicopters and i am always interested in what bj had to say on he subject. i just wish i could have met him and thanked him in person for such a life long dedication to helicopters. his sacrfice in time and energy is allowing me to own a great helicopter.

hank

He definitely was a character. I have only met him once, but I spent hours & hours on the phone with him. He gave me an education every time. He spent 2 hours on the phone with me describing his accident into the powerlines. He was a real lucky guy that day and he knew it!