Helicycle nearing 1000 hours

If you notice in one of the pictures, you will see the old main rotor transmission that I replaced a few months ago. That one was not optional, but it did make it to 800 hrs, which is fantastic for an experimental, and not to bad for many of the certified ships, plus cost a whole lot less.

Hi David
Yes I noticed the transmission on the floor and I have a couple of questions about it.
Is it mandatory to replace the main transmission at 800h ?
Is it possible to overhaul the main transmission ?
Does the tail rotor transmission have a “time between replacements? or TBO ?
I’m looking forward to see the list you wrote about in #40

Thank you

Duvan

Hey David

Hey David

If you notice in one of the pictures, you will see the old main rotor transmission that I replaced a few months ago. That one was not optional, but it did make it to 800 hrs, which is fantastic for an experimental, and not to bad for many of the certified ships, plus cost a whole lot less.

David,
Way back 10 years ago, I watched B.J.'s video he sent me, where he showed all of his DESIGN SECRETS of the Helicycle gearboxes. I was blown-away at what a masterpiece they were. It was clear that his goal was to capture as many of the details from a Bell Jet Ranger as he could, to make it safe, functional, and durable.

I am a little surprised that you only went 800 with yours. May I ask why?
Was the new one about $5 grand?
Was it easy to get Eagle R&D to sell you a new one that was probably needed for a new kit buyer's ship?

Thanks,
Bryan

David- You are a good example of staying ahead of things and flying a helicopter built like a tractor. With that many hours on the rotor blades, when you excite the tips standing in the hanger, do both blades vibrate in harmony? I would guess that if one blade was replaced with a new one, that they would not vibrate the same. You are an excellent spokesman for the Helicycle as you fly off all those hours. You are a wealth of knowledge on this machine. Thanks for sharing. Stan

Duvan and Brian, The reason for the transmission change came after I started getting a vibrating coming from the main rotor system in flight. I got my friend to bring his balancer, and we spent all day trying to get it rebalanced with no luck. After doing some investigation and talking to the factory, it was decided that the upper bearings had worn and lost there pre-load. The old transmission is soon to be shipped back to the factory for detailed tear down. I opted to buy a new transmission, due to time factors, and not knowing if the old one is rebuildable or not. The factory is always fantastic to work with and very helpful. I also opted for the new one due to the fact that they have made some improvements in them in the last 10 years. As of now, the only time life components on my entire helicopter are the 2 oil filters, everything else is on-condition. The current transmission price is around 4k, and the factory is more than happy to sell replacement parts. The only thing that you can run into on the bigger parts is supply. The way the factory tools up for Blades, Rotor heads, Transmissions, engines and gear cases, if they are out of one of the large components, you may have to wait a while until the tool up for those items. I got lucky in the fact that they were out of the main rotor transmissions, but where in the process of building new ones.

Hi Stan, seem to be in perfect harmony with each other. The only thing that I have done with blades is to strip the paint off and semi-polish them. I opted not to put a high gloss on them due to some "beauty marks" on them that would have required 10 times more work than I was wanting to do. I believe I am on my 4th set of elastomerics, but am sure that I will be changing these before long. Stan, I also wanted to tell you that my new electrical setup seems to be working great. I plan on adding a second stator and regulator to have a 2 truly isolated electrical systems. I will then run a dedicated circuit to the governor with an in-line diode and its on switch. With this, I should have a very safe system. I could loss the main power bus, bus battery, bus regulator, and the engine would be still running.

Stan, forgot to ask you if you would make me a camera mount. I am thinking about documenting some of my flights on my quest to get a flying job and reaching 1500 hrs. (at 1038 currently). And also wanted to know what camera you use.

Thanks for everything

Ok ok...wait a sec...you were at 994 on 1/6, just last week. And now you're at 1038????

Are you seriously flying 7-8 hours a day, every day? Why the heck do you want a "job" flying, sounds like you're having much more fun as it is! :) If I flew THAT much, I'd be doing some epic cross-country flights.

-John

David- please read my offer to make you a free camera mount in the new thread I started about 1500 hours in an experimental. Your accomplishment needed a new title in my opinion. Way to go on your quest to 1500 hours. Stan

Hi John, my mistake, its 1028 hrs, not 1038 and yes there are many days that I fly 6-8 hrs, but sometime I only get to fly 2 or 3 hrs, or not at all, especially this time of year.

Parts replaced

Parts replaced

It would be interesting if you posted what you have replaced. If you choose not to do it on this forum, I would understand, but I hope you are doing it on the helicycle owners forum. It would be an invaluable list of what to look for as other people accumulate time.

Hi Stan, seem to be in perfect harmony with each other. The only thing that I have done with blades is to strip the paint off and semi-polish them. I opted not to put a high gloss on them due to some "beauty marks" on them that would have required 10 times more work than I was wanting to do. I believe I am on my 4th set of elastomerics, but am sure that I will be changing these before long. Stan, I also wanted to tell you that my new electrical setup seems to be working great. I plan on adding a second stator and regulator to have a 2 truly isolated electrical systems. I will then run a dedicated circuit to the governor with an in-line diode and its on switch. With this, I should have a very safe system. I could loss the main power bus, bus battery, bus regulator, and the engine would be still running.

Dave- I have you a brand new camera mount just made up. I was just teasing you about giving it to you if you flew your Helicycle to Bensen Days. I know there are other more major logistics to consider than a free camera mount. I will send it to you next week. It will mount right on your front skid where you can turn your camera off and on while flying.

Stan

Thanks a very much Stan, I greatly appreciate it. By the way, what camera are you using for your videos.

David- I have a Sony Cybershot. Most cameras have a 1/4 inch bolt thread in the bottom. I have a bolt that you just spin your camera down on and tighten the lock nut. The mount is adjustable for the angle of the landing gear bow so that you can have the camera pointed at any angle and lock it in nice and level. Stan