Helicycle nearing 1000 hours

Yes, purchased it back in 2009 from Tom Sled with 102Hrs on it.

Wow...you are flying the crap out of that machine if you've put 850 hours on it in 2-3 years. Is this all pleasure flying or do you use it for commuting or something?

Any major issues with it in that time?

-John

I bought the helicycle with the intent of building time for a commercial off-shore flying job. It was the cheapest way I could find without getting my CFI and instructing. I currently have resumes out, and hopefully my life long dream will become a reality. I had planned on selling it after getting a job, but I really love my helicycle and do not plan to sell it once I do get hired. I have flown many different helicopters, but the helicycle is by far the most fun.

Congrats....
Smart&nice way to go, now just twin and IR rating.
Than you can apply for most of available left/FO seats :)

I actually already have IFR ratings for helicopter and fixed wing, just need to get my commercial add-on for fixed wing and then the multi-engine, which I may do if the off-shore helicopter thing doesn't work out.

I actually already have IFR ratings for helicopter and fixed wing, just need to get my commercial add-on for fixed wing and then the multi-engine, which I may do if the off-shore helicopter thing doesn't work out.

Would getting your helicopter ATP increase your chances of landing a job?

No

No

Would getting your helicopter ATP increase your chances of landing a job?

Not really.

1500 hours of Turbine Heli PIC time is the magic number.
That's the break point where insurance underwriters start to charge affordable rates to the Air Taxi operators.

Hopefully I will be at 1500 hrs by April, I am flying 80 to 100hrs a month on average, but harder to do in the winter.

Finally was able to get some pictures to upload.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pictures didn't come out as good as I had hoped, next time I will use my good camera.

I am flying 80 to 100hrs a month on average,

That is a lot of flying in a month!!!!:hail:

Especially if you are working a full time job that is not adding to the total.

Good Luck.

Hi David, 2 things:

Thanks for "de-flowering" 22T...and for those who are thinking dirty thoughts I was referring to the little clovers or whatever was originally on the cabin. :)

Secondly, what are you doing in the air all that time? That's an incredible amount of flying, probably the most I've ever heard on an experimental aircraft (with maybe Birdy's Feral gyro being the only exception.)

Eagle R&D *really* need to do some marketing with you...they would sell Helicycle's like gangbusters if people could see that the machine is so low maintenance that you can fly 80-100 hours per month!

-John

Impressive David,
I have a few questions when you have time;

Did you strip the paint off the blades or are they different blades?

How many sets of belts have you gone through?

What parts have worn out the quickest, or that you're always sure to keep an eye on?

How many times have you, or how often do you balance/track the blades?

Have you made any long cross country flights?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but you're a unique source of data on this subject.

Thanks,
Mike

David- I have to echo what John said. Its guys like you that have accumulated hundreds of hours on the Helicycle that convinced me to build my own, and hopefully continue on such success stories. So far, knocking on wood, my maintenance on my whole Helicycle is less time than I spent JUST on my pre-rotator on my SparrowHawk, and not counting the cooling system, engine, and other work I did on it.

You are putting on more hours than anyone I know....and in a helicopter at that. Way to go.....and many more hours to you.

Stan

Eagle R&D *really* need to do some marketing with you...they would sell Helicycle's like gangbusters if people could see that the machine is so low maintenance that you can fly 80-100 hours per month!

Eagle can do even better, to make deep component NDT testing on
this 1000 h ship and make that results public.
That can be best possible marketing.
:hail:

They don't need marketing! They're selling more than they can produce now, and the engine supply is drying up soon!

Bryan- You hit the nail as square on the head that you could. The turbines will soon run out, but they have a plan! Stan

I will work on putting a list together for everyone. I will say that the helicycle is a well build machine, but you do have to be proactive with the maintenance. I probably have changed a few things that I could have gotten more time out of, but better safe than sorry. And John, yes thankfully the flowers are gone,(thanks to Tom Sled for removing them just before I bought it) The only thing to do is to recover the set cushions. I truly love this helicopter.