Helicycle-- Hoverings & Happenings

Might want to look into of the fuel additives that stops microbial growth in your storage tank too.

How many total hours did it take the filter to get to that point just out of curiosity?

Brett- I have two 55 gallon drums that I pick my fuel up with. Is there an additive that I can dump into kerosene like Prist that goes into JetA? My understanding is that Prist has to be metered into the fuel in a spray or it wont work right...even making it worse.

I just am going to monitor it even more closely....cleaning the filter every 5 hours just to be safe. It only takes a few minutes.

Stan

Stan

The only one I've used in turbines is Prist (which is a pain to mix like you said) but there are a bunch I've seen advertised for diesel or kerosene.

What will PRIST® Hi-Flash™ Fuel Additive do and what will in not do?

PRIST® Hi-Flash™ is an aviation fuel additive that is designed to prevent water from freezing and thereby preventing fuel starvation in-flight.

When applied correctly, in conjunction with the fuel being maintained correctly, PRIST® Hi-Flash™ will stay in solution indefinitely. PRIST® Hi-Flash™ will not change the freeze point of fuel; it simply encapsulates water droplets that form in fuel, altering their freeze point.

PRIST® Hi-Flash™ is not a “tank cleaner” or a “fuel purifier”, it will not eliminate water nor will it replace the need for good housekeeping of fuel which requires daily sumping and removing of water and particulates. Lastly, PRIST® Hi-Flash™ IS NOT a biocide and it will not “KILL” microorganisms.

http://www.pristaerospace.com/hi-flash/FAQ/index.html

A biocide such as Biobor will kill the organism. You might want to check your storage tanks to insure no organisms are there as they could consume the supply turning it into a jelly like substance.

EVALUATION OF A BIOCIDAL TURBINE FUEL ADDITIVE.

http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/oamtechreports/1960s/media/AM67-21.pdf

JET FUEL BIOCIDE

II - Jet fuel contamination

Surprisingly, several forms of fungi can survive and multiply in hydrocarbon fuels, especially the fuels consumed by jet aircraft. The microscopic growth occurs in all components of the fuel handling system - storage tanks, pumps, filters, delivery lines and ultimately, the jet aircraft fuel tanks. These microbes grow into long strings and form large mats or globules. The growth appears slimy, and usually black, green or brown, although it may be any color. It may grow throughout the fuel, or at the interface area between the fuel and water bottom layer. As the fuel is agitated - for instance during filling - microbial growth is distributed throughout the fuel system, where it will cling tenaciously to walls and supporting structures.

The organism most commonly found in contaminated systems is Cladosporium resinae. It grows rapidly under widely varying conditions, needing only trace amounts of water and minerals to sustain itself. As it grows, it chemically alters the fuel to produce water, sludge, and acidic by- products. It can attack and destroy fuel tank Iinings and hoses, and pit metals to the point where holes are formed. Other problems can also arise. Fuel tank gauging systems are favorite places for microbial growth and the adhering slime interferes with the operation of the indicating system to cause erratic readings. Filters also are affected, as the slimy material is very difficult to remove by the usual fuel filtering methods. The slime very quickly clogs filters, sometimes to the point of fuel starvation.

http://www.focmicrobiologie.com/biobor_gb.htm

Brett and Jeff- Thanks for your feedback. Jeff- I will check into that biodor additive. Shouldn't be much of a hastle if I can just dump it in my 55 gallon fuel drums. I will be religously cleaning that 70 micron filter from now on now that I have seen what a dirty filter can do to my fuel flow. I also have another inline fuel filter right before the turbine. I replaced it with a new one. I did a test on it with the remaining fuel inside it. On the outlet side, when I rap the nipple on a white piece of posterboard, the fuel was clear. However, when I rapped the inlet sides nipple, the fuel that was shook outt was a little cloudy showing algae being shaken loose on that side of the filter. Its a metal throw away filter, and I am going to do an autopsy on it later. Stan

Jeff- You are spot on about the biobar. I am going to get some to kill and what algae is in my fuel. It looks real clear and I havent had any problems till just this precautionary fuel flow check, designed to find just this....algae!

I still have a backup system say I just kept flying and had never heard of algae in fuel. My fuel control arm which I have posted earlier has a microswitch on it telling me when I am demanding all I can out of that turbine, by turning on that top yellow light next to my rotor tach.

Well, if I have my fuel filter getting severely plugged and my turbine is wanting more fuel, the governor will be telling that fuel contol arm to go back until enough fuel starts flowing. If the fuel flow is restricted, that fuel control arm will just go all the way to the stop, where my microswitch is set to come on, and the yellow light will come on in my dash. So if the light comes on and I dont have the collective way up, its more than likely that the fuel flow is being restricted to the turbine.

My job is to keep the lights off by staying ahead of these issues.

The first picture are my idiot lights. Top yellow one is when the fuel control arm triggers the microswitch...2nd picture. My index finger is on the fuel control arm. The more fuel it needs, the farther it comes back to my middle finger which is on the microswitch. I designed the switch and the switch bracket to fall away from the fuel control arm say a bolt comes loose. This makes it fail safe, so it wont interfere with that fuel control arm. Every preflight I simply pull the fuel control arm back and watch the yellow light come on in the dash just as it touches the stop screw. It actually comes on just a few hundredths of an inch before the set screw stops the fuel control arm, this assures the light will come on, and also I am assured that the fuel control arm still hits its stop. That stop is raw horsepower with just a few turns. It will boost the turbine to 155 horse if I had a transmission and rotor that would handle it.

This turbine is a fantastic piece of work, but it has an interesting learning curve for me to get through. It still looks like it came out of an alien spacecraft.

Stan

Attachments

• April30 017.jpg
    April30 017.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0
  • April30 020.jpg
    April30 020.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would probably add the Biobor to the drums just before you are filling them. That way the filling action will agitate the contents and blend the two.

Note; If you can keep the water out of the system the bacteria will have nothing to eat.

Jeff- I checked into Biobor Jf and it only takes one ounce per 40 gallons of fueel. A gallon will treat a lot of fuel! So far I have yet to see any trace of water with my sump drains. My fuel tanks have triangle shaped bottoms with the fuel outlet about 1.5 inches from the bottom. I put a drain and petcock in these bottom sections as they make excellent sumps. I haven't see a trace of water yet. I am thinking of adding the biobar to my 55 gallon drum and just circulate the mixture with my pump. For the near future, I am checking that fuel filter each flight till I get rid of the algae. I am comfortable that my yellow light will warn me if the filter really plugged fast. Stan

Last edited:
I just got some time to catch up with all the happening bro :) Nice vid! No smudge :) I also keep learning all kind of thins about microbes and all kinds of good stuff :) Very educational indeed!

bah...........................humbug

bah...........................humbug

Bah..............................Humbug kit. Thats what I need. Its an $18.95 microbial testing kit for fuel. This will be a welcome addition to my fuel management system. I will KNOW if my fuel has bugs,then I will use Biobor JF to kill them and keep knew ones from starting up.

I must go out and burn my kerosene before the microbes turn it into co2. Have to keep our president happy.

Here are the links to Skygeek. The biobor treats over 1200 gallons for less than $15.00. I have learned a lot since finding algae in my fuel filter yesterday. It reinforced my rule for tenacious testing which caught my fuel flow decreasing.....and I learned about fuel additives and test kits that are inexpensive and hindsight shows me that its a necessary part of my fuel management sytem since I am burning JetA/kerosene.

http://www.skygeek.com/biobor16oz.html

http://www.skygeek.com/humbugkit.html

Stan

Last edited:
I was out burning my kerosene before the microbes get it. What a blast it was flying. I saw some kids out playing in a yard, don't know who they were, but I circled back and hovered ocver the corner of their yard. They were excited and then the dad comes out with a video cam and I do not have no 500 foot rule and I just gave them as little show. The dad was just a waving trying to get me to land but they had a loose dog that looked like another tail rotor lunger. I waved and went on a few more miles nd found some more kids. Trhis is getting to be fun I thoought. So I did a nice approach to their yard, and hovered awhile. These kids were ecstatic also. More later. Stan.

Just a few more comments from todays flight. The air was very smooth today with just a slight steady breeze. I was paying particular attention to the lack of vibration this ship has. It really is as smooth as any rotorcraft I have ever flown. I just polished my blades and removed all the bugs. I love having no paint wearing off throwing my blades out of balance. - wish everyone could just experience flying a Helicycle just once. It is the easiest thing I have ever flown in calm or high winds. Learning to fly a helicopter was the hardest thing for me to learn, but once I did and my reflexes became in tune with my Helicycle, this thing is the easiest thing to depart and come in for approaches to land. You just think what you want to do and the helicopter just does it very easily and smoothly. This probably is hard to understand since they are a handful in the beginning. Stan

After finding some algae restricting my fuel flow test, I was educated here and on my Helicycle site about Biobor JF. My bottle came today and it will treat 1280 gallons. I put in a double dose as instructed and recirculated the fuel back into my barrel.

Next I took out the mesh filter on my fuel pump and checked it over. It was real clean, but I cleaned it thoroughly anyway.

I am thinking that when I bought my kerosene up at the local gas station, after checking out his storage tank......wow.......never going to buy there again. I believe I got a bad batch of fuel from him as I had just emptied the blue cans not long before my fuel flow test.

Things should be up to snuff, and I wasnt even close to cause the turbine to get starved for fuel. But...I have learned a lot about algae and microbes in fuel, and now have a much better fuel management program that is easy and inexpensive to maintain my fuel supply.

Stan

Attachments

• May5 002.jpg
    May5 002.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
  • May5 004.jpg
    May5 004.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
Stan,

I wonder if running your fuel through a "Mr Filter" funnel would have filtered out the algae. I don't know the answer for sure but I have sure been impressed with what it will filter out. Seems like a good investment to me.

Doug- You can't even see them in the fuel. They collect on the fuel filters and over time clog them. I have an Andair gascolator with a very easy to clean 70 micron screen. Since I monitor my fuel flow rate every 10 hours, I was able to catch my problem before it caught me. Now I will keep my fuel treated with Biobor and more frequent filter cleanings, and I don't anticipate any more algae issues. I have my kerosene run through an expensive filter at my fuel supplier when he fills my 55 gallon drums. The drums are lined iside fior kerosene and other chemicals. I religiously watch for water and to date have not seen even a drop in my sump samples. This turbine should be very reliable if I keep up on these little things. But..............it is mechanical and I fly prepared to auto in at anytime. Stan

Am I wrong, but isn't that what was suspected in B.J.'s crash?

Bryan- Mrs. Scramm told me that algae was in B.J.'s fuel and caused it to quit. He was reportedly flying low level over water, and had to auto into the water.....not a good place for an auto or a forced landing in any aircraft. Drowning is what got him. Had this been over terrain, he more than likely would have just stepped out of the helicopter.

Stan

exterior shots

exterior shots

Barbara wanted to hear my turbine whine...instead of me....so she took me down to fly. I gave her my camera and had her take a few shots. I should have set the zoom on it...but I havent had an exterior shot for awhile. I come roaring down through the channel and did a quick stop in the hole.....what a rush! She was wondering why my nose was way up in the air....... All part of practicing for a real auto when you have to do a quick stop at the last part of it.

What a beautiful evening to fly. Everybody was out and I was hovering in places I never had before. Barb had my camera so no proof.

Stan

Attachments

• May6 001.jpg
    May6 001.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • May6 005.jpg
    May6 005.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • May6 006.jpg
    May6 006.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • May6 004.jpg
    May6 004.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
I just flew a mission that was a rush. This is something I would never do on a regular basis, but just occasionally. There is a Bed & Breakfast that I installed a stairway in. It is nestled along a creek out in a heavily wooded area. I have permission to land there anytime and there is a 200 X 200 ft hole to land in. I decided to go on in and land after I did my high and low recon flight over the area. I was taught the 5 S"s to look for and evaluate. Size to determine if its a steep approach/max performance departure. Shape to determine how thw wind works with the physical shape, say if its oval n determine if the wind is blowing across the narrow width or down its widest width. Slope- determine if its within the range of the helicopter for a slope landing and to determine the best way to approach the slope. Surface- determine if its tall grass, mud, deep snow, whatever and if compatible with the helicopter. Spot- pick a spot that gives you as shallow an angle to do a steep approach in over the trees. ...........................................................................After doing all the above, I set up a nice steep approach and came in on an angle that gave me enough tree clearance and maximized the use of the 200 foot clearing I had to touchdown on my spot on the far end of the hole. Its an undescribable rush bringing in a helicopter into a confined area, but juat as much fun but yet very serious is doing a max performance takeoff out of that hole. ..................after visiting and discovering no camera with me, I lit the turbine and checked all the gauges and controls, hover taxiid to the lee side of the hole maximizing all I had by keeping the tail rotor out of the trees then did a nice max performance takeoff, keeping my angle as shallow as to clear the trees, and departed out of that hole. It was again an undescribable rush doing this, but knowing I would never do this regularly. It would be like taking off out of my hole by the stairshop and not having a channel to fly in and out of. I knew I would be toast if the turbine failed, but my training was to depend on your machine once in awhile and utilize its capabilities, but not on a constant basis. A thrill like that takeoff will last me 6 months. Wish I had my camera on the skid, but I already have a similar takeoff on YouTube out of my hole by the stairshop last fall. Stan

Last edited: