Helicycle-- Hoverings & Happenings

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Now that my Helicycle is now hovering, I am going to put my "hoverings and happenings" photos in this thread. I have mentioned wanting to land at so many places that I could only fly over before. Now I will hover and make it happen and post it here. Time will tell clearly how obsessed I am with this 3rd dimension of hovering. Stan

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
StanFoster :
I am glad to see you have your toy completed and able to enjoy it. It has been a long time coming. Hope to see you at Bensen Days this coming year with it if you make the trip. :party:

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
I think it would be really tacky for you to start calling the machine the "Egg Beater." Therefore, that is my recommendation (cluckity-dang-cluck!)

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I will be burning a lot of kerosene the next few days. I have been leaving the camera on the ground while I am getting the feel of this helicopter. I feel like a duck taking to water in it. It has tremendous power available from the turbine when the collective is pulled aggresively. I can't explain the smooth feel of a lot of power back there. It is simply an adrenalin rush to pull collective, and feel the turbine instantly gulping what amount of fuel it needs to satisfy my left arm. This thing actually does feel like a rocket on rails. I have learned a lot already, but I know I have so much more to learn. A few Helicycle pilots have already contacted me and all are saying that I will love this thing more and more as I gain experience in it.............................................................. I am practicing autos with power recovery now. Quick stops are simply a riot and you can really stand it on its tail. I found a smaller screen size mode for my videos, and they upload to Youtube much quicker. I will have my camera mounted outside the cabin tomorrow, and will activate it while on the ground, and do a few takeoffs and landings with it. I will try to post them this weekend. I will also now have a camera with me at all times to take pictures of all the places I set down and catch on fire! Just kidding. I could not be more pleased so far. I have only to wipe some grease on my tail rotorshaft, about 30 seconds, and will be tightening my belts at 5 hours tomorrow. That takes about 10 minutes. I will drain my tail rotor gearbox also at 5 hours, and then the belts and gearbox are good to go till 25 hours. I have been told that the Helicycle averages about 10 minutes of easy maintenance per hour of flying. I know I worked on my SparrowHawk a lot more than that. Time will tell. I will post my maintenance/flight time ratio in my Helicycle maintenance thread after I get more hours of flying time in. I am already getting feedback from several people how whisper quiet it is in the air. I am fighting euphoria flying this thing, but I have some very strong engrained training about the HV curve, vortex ring state, mast bumping, etc............that I feel will keep me ou of trouble. Just because the machine can go straight up to 12000 feet, my Turbinator won't find me flying it that way! Stay tuned, my adventures by photos begins tomorrow. Stan

Last edited:

bmoore2156

Aircraft
Converted RAF
Total Flight Time
300 hrs in my RAF
Stan,
Don't you think it's time to get a flight photo of your cycle for an avatar?
I suppose I need to do the same... it's only been a year.. lol
I am looking forward to lots of photos...
Brad

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
I better get to bed, sounds like I've got a long weekend of vicarious Helicycle flying coming up.

Mike

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ylf- I posted a lot of pictures from my RAF and my SparrowHawk . I won't be operating the camera inside my helicopter near as much, just because I am not as free to do so. Any pictures will be safely at altitude and just occasionally. I will be taking pictures from many places I have set down that I could only fly over before. This is the part that makes me so obsessive with flying a helicopter, but again, that is just me.................................................................................................................. Flying a helicopter to me is like driving a car down an interstate with dozens of off ramps per mile allowing you to leave the interstate anytime you want, instead of waiting for the next exit 5 miles ahead. Stan

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Videos, where are the Videos? sounds like we are in for some good reading soon. hey does that puppy have cabin heat for the Paxton winters?

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Brett- I am burning K1. I will eventually get a tank and burn JetA. Stan

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
The camera is still out of the cockpit. Here is when I landed the first time next to my house. This is just the start of my new career. Jeff took a video of a steep approach I did next to my house. It is uploading now to You tube and will be on here shortly. I wa simply love that smooth powerful turbine. I am really impressed with its abundance of power. You pull that collective..and that machine is clawing up ....

The winds were up to 25 mph today..at this time they were right at 20 mph and somewhat gusty. The Helicycle bobbed and weaved once coming into the tree line turbulence. I was headed right into the wind....and favorored as far north on my lot as I could so as to minimize gusts from the trees. Thats my precious little grandaughter McKenzy who just turned 2. She can say......help o copper

I am getting real comfortable with this machine...it is rapidly lettimg me feel like I am flying it..instead of it flying me. I have been checking out my radio...and GPS. Everything is working great. My vertical card compass gives me a since of security as it steadily points to my direction I am headed. Thanks Gabor for changing my mind on that!

Stan

Attachments

• September4 001.jpg
    September4 001.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • September4 002.jpg
    September4 002.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
  • September4 004.jpg
    September4 004.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
  • September4 006.jpg
    September4 006.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Love those pictures! She is precious :) Lucky you!!!! I want a grand daughter too.....right now!!!! LOL. I am glad you decided to go with the vertical card after all :) Wise decision. And it also took you off of my fool list LOL. Looking good my friend I couldn't be happier for you. Your dream has come true. Very well earned dream I must add! Ok I'll be checking back periodically see if the video has uploaded yet. Meantime back to the garage of hells. It's like 200* out there. How can one think at all in conditions like that? Yeah I'd rather be flying a helicycle too....... Yeah keep rubbing it in :)

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
Nice video, you need an H in the middle of that circle.

Last edited:

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Dave :)

RotoPlane

Gold Supporter
Thanks for the video! It is great to see you flying once again Stan....especially in that dude. Your grass is begging for water....don't be cruel.......

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
My next flight will have my camera strapped to my neck. I can easily let go of the cyclic for taking some pictures. I flew a lot today, and everything is working fine. I am very pleased with my sight gauge going up the right side of my cabin for the fuel amount. It has one of Bear Perkins red floating fuel indicators. I can just glance to the right and my side vision easily sees the level of fuel. I have a yellow caution when I am approaching 30 minutes of fuel. When I am down to 20 minutes the area along the fuel line is marked in diagonal red marks that turn to solid red when I am down to 10 minutes. I trust this far more than any fuel gauge or fuel flow instrument. Its simply always calibrated! .............................................I have noticed the governor keeps the turbine rpm around 61450 to 61480 rpm. It amazes me the preciseness the turbine is kept under control.....................The helicopter is a pleasure to fly as the controls are very responsive. I find myself doing a lot of approaches to land many places, bringing it down to a low hover, not touching the skids without permission from the landowner. Exercising this freedom to hover really strikes a chord with me, as iI pull collective and transition back to forward flight. I just can't imagine tiring of this capability. I am hopelessly ruined for life after acquiring this taste of hovering. ....................................................Taking off through that chopper channel is a rush. I have a lot of deer that jump across that channel and I maintain around 60 mph with my skid height around 10 feet. Those suckers can jump! .................................I promise onboard videos and still pictures as I gain experience. Stan

lanichol

Aircraft
RAF 2000 AAI Modified, Var Pitch IVO, hydraulic pre-rotator, mechanical FI
Total Flight Time
18 hrs gryo & training
Nice landing. For a rockie, you sure look like a pro.

birdy

Aircraft
open frame single seat & a 'wasa' RAF, among other types.
Total Flight Time
7000 odd, bout 5000 gyro
I gota stop readn your posts Stan, you maken me think bout collectives. :(

I wish you many trouble free hours over the next few decades in you work of art. :)

And dont scratch it, coz you know wot ill be do'n then. ;)