Helicycle finds new owner

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
MTO Sport, Bensen, LittleWing LW-3, Breezy
Total Flight Time
4000+
A couple of months ago I purchased David Lyons' Helicycle N3722T

I completed my R-22 training on Wednesday and wasted no time in jumping in the Helicycle and making three successful flights Thursday and had a great time.

It flew pretty much as expected.....I am light at 160 lbs. so I have some weight under the seat and will be doing a second hang test tomorrow to further tweak the CG.

I have many questions and as I continue flying and gaining experience I am sure I will have many more so I will be picking the brains of you guys that have been flying Helicycles for a while.

Stan......I have seen many of your videos and they have been very enjoyable and especially helpful these past few weeks since purchasing the machine......hell, I owned the damn thing for over a month before I knew how to start it!!!!!!! And the funny thing is I have watched a couple of videos on starting the turbine as well as talking to a couple of people and everyone has a different starting procedure.

Attachments

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Congratulations !!!! May you have many wonderful & safe flights with her !

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mike- You will love flying that. I am always going to be learning new things about helicopters and in particular, the Helicycle. What I have learned , I will pass along. I have much more to learn than I can share.

Stan

Doug S.

PRA # 41505
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex / Xenon RST
Total Flight Time
Congrats Mike
"Oo" What Fun It Is To Ride In A One Seat Helicycle.... LA, LA, LA
Well you know the rest of it.
Doug S.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Congratulations MIKE!!!

Doug,
Sorry for the hijack but I REALLY looked forward to meeting you during Hank's checkout, but he said you really didn't want any lurkers around the hangar when you were trying to pay attention to detail, so I stayed away and missed my chance.

Maybe we'll meet somewhere. :)

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mike- If you ever need any info or pictures, just ask anytime
I recall how badly I needed answers. Doug Schowchert is my go to guy for my technical questions.

Stan

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
Thanks Stan...I'm sure you will be hearing from me.

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Bryan, I spent three days taking pictures of Hanks check-out with Doug. I figured Hank needed someone to document the first flight. Good company, great pictures. Wish you had shown up.
Stan PRA 41973

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Smile

Smile

Bryan, I spent three days taking pictures of Hanks check-out with Doug. I figured Hank needed someone to document the first flight. Good company, great pictures. Wish you had shown up.
Stan PRA 41973
I had the trip planned. Hank said Doug was all business and seemed a little bothered if lurkers with no business there came, so I cancelled my plans. I can empathize with Doug. It would get old real quick.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Wow, somebody got their Christmas a bit early! <drooling like a st bernard>

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Congratulations Mike, I tried talking my wife into not retiring just yet so that I could afford a Helicycle, She wouldn't buy into it, so I've had to settle on admiring them from afar. They are the coolest ship out there. Give it a big hug from me. Stan PRA 41973

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
Trunkmunki......There's 1178 on the hobbs meter so David put over 1000 hours as it had a little over 100 when he purchased it in 2009.

I've got a grand total of 2 hours since last Thursday.....been raining and windy and at my "rookie" level it needs to be almost calm before I light it up.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mike- That Helicycle has got to be one of the most hours flown per year of any experimental aircraft. He just flew, and flew and flew it to get his required turbine hours to land that offshore helicopter job.

You will find its rigid as a tractor, and little maintenance.

Stan

trunkmunki

Is this the highest-time helicycle out there? I read all of his posts, and it looked like, other than a main xmission change to the newest version for some vibration, it only needed basic service. It still looks great and apparently runs like a top. Hopefully they are still able to get engines in about 2-3 years and then I will definitely order one, if I can't sooner.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
trunk- It is the highest time Helicycle. There are others around 700 hours.

If you are planning on ordering one in a couple of years, you will have to supply your own turbine. They only have enough for some of the next run.

Stan

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
Congrats on the Helicycle Mike, glad to see 22T still being flown, when I first got interested in Helicycles it was the first build I found online and read every word.

I see it has the new engine mounts now so I assume the engine has been changed or reworked at some point.

I'm looking forward to having 2 hours on my Helicycle someday. I finished the build about mid June and am still about "two weeks" from getting my checkout.

Mike