Helicycle Balance redefined

MH1FLYER

We Fix Legends!
After spending so much time and so many day's balancing the MH1 to [email protected] and it has held that reading for the time being. Bartly has now decided to step up and confirm him helicycle readings. Its a good thing he has decided to double check because the helicopter in my eyes is not as smooth as it was when Doug left here..... I have been involved with helicopters for a long time and I can just tell when things change even a little mostly by just watching the tail section.....It's a good thing he decided to check it out because the turn out sucked very bad.

Hover test
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Forward Flight
[email protected]
[email protected]

We made a couple changes but things got worse so we put it back where it was and had to shut down due to weather went south fast today.

OK Friday and time to figure this out. As mention on my thread it just boils down to having the correct charts. My DSS balancer came with some generic ones maybe we should try them......After sleeping on all this a couple nights and further thinking things out what would make it change so drastic and so quick??????? We both and all of use here know that when Doug left it was excellent in hover flight a lot better than the above numbers....So there has been two scheduled maintenance's I think a five and a ten not really sure. So late last night I'm walking around the helicopter and I notice just blobs of grease all over blades rotor head the crap is every where. When Bartley came in this morning I said hey lets try to clean all this grease up and see where were we are at with the numbers again. He was like you took the words right out of my mouth I know it will make a difference. Meanwhile I decide to call a few professionals for some advice and I don't me Experimental professional. Well my professional Rick aka Hawk here on the forum said to use some charts he had that basically represented the jet ranger and some other ships.(top secret right now) He emailed me a set and I called another pro and he started out our conversation the same as Rick so right then I knew the day was heading in the right Direction.

Well I could tell this morning when Bartley came in he was really worried about how the day was going to go. After he spent a hour or more cleaning grease and the blades, rotor head it was time to get it out and just see where we are. First we checked the track by pencil marker, It was right on. Now lets get some readings not good they were actually worst.

[email protected]

OK we get out my new charts thanks Rick aka Hawk on the forum here. We plotted and made a change. The change it called for was lag master or our A blade. put it back into a hover and bingo....
Hover
[email protected]
[email protected]

Forward flight
[email protected]
[email protected]

Well look at this..OK plot again same thing just .0015 well that's going to be a challenge,,, well we made a change and went to far,, had to go back and when we went back bingo again back to where we were but even better. I'm not a pro here but I finally realized I was plotting forward flight on the hover chart the last time. Backed up and replotted and made on link change blade A the master down. Kicked the tires lit the fires, forget hover, strait to forward flight mode. Bingo again...

Hover
[email protected]
[email protected]

Forward flight
[email protected]
[email protected]

Well crap we have to go back to work now.. I could tell all of you one thing I'm not done until its better than that. I also can tell you Bartley had one big smile when he left here today. That's what this is all about and knowing which way to go and not guessing is so much better. I know how Bartley felt when he left here yesterday I have been there so many times not know which way to go and having no help here to boot. I felt really bad last night when I went home and I told my wife I was going to everything I could to get it worked out or at least heading in the right direction. My wife asked me if I was still planing on flying and doing some photo shuts for the news. I told my wife no I would feel like I would be rubbing flying in a leaving him on the ground wonder which way to go based on what we know up to this point which is nothing.....That's not me and as far as I'm concerned I'm not like that. It's funny the way things work out though. It really wasn't a good day for flying here anyway... And me taking the time to make some phone calls well that just helped us both figuring it out.. Well I remembered a post on my field trip page from Barney,, that this is what it's all about and learning was really what its about.....With all that being said well I learned more today than I have in two years and we will have this thing so dialed in well have to put a Cadillac emblem on it. OH one more thing my pros agreed with me you can have it so smooth in hover but forward flight will be bad unless you track and balance it in forward flight........WARNING IF YOUR HELICYCLE HAS NOT BEEN BALANCED IN FORWARD FLIGHT YOU SHOULD HAVE IT CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY. The MH1 is [email protected] in forward flight and [email protected] in hover and consistant.

I love this as much if not more than flying hahahaaaaaaaa..

John