Helicopter electric tail rotors

Martin W.

The Tesla and Prius electric motors seem to be the best motors for EV applications, but are still a bit off the power to weight ratios achievable with outrunner motors like the EMRAX motors. Outrunner motors are perfect to aircraft applications, but not practical for EV use.

My education continues ... I had never heard of EMRAX motors before .... thanks for the info.

Oskar

Aircraft
R22, MTO Sport, GyroBee, Mosquito Air
Oskar, fantastic achievement! It is people like you who are pioneers that lift the bar higher, keep developing your innovations...

Looking forward to further updates.
Thanks Leo, if you hadn't left you would have been right in the middle of all the action! Now the electric heli has taken your Magni's spot in the hangar :)

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Wow, Oskar !!!
What is your current flight duration?
Brian

Oskar

Aircraft
Wow, Oskar !!!
What is your current flight duration?
Brian
I have flown more than 10 minutes on a charge, but can see from the measurements that flying carefully at the minimum power point a 20 minute flight would be achievable. That would be boring though, I defintely wouldn't want to do it.

Oskar

Aircraft
How long between 'fill ups' ? Can it scale up to 550 lbs GW?
Batteries don't like getting charged quickly as it reduces their lifetime. I usually charge them in 3 to 4 hours.
It only takes a few minutes to install/remove the batteries, if I had a second pack I could be up and flying again in 5 minutes.
I'm looking at the numbers for a Mosquito XE with 80kg of batteries, that would have a GW of about 205kg (450 lbs) and should get 30 to 40 minutes of flight time. I suspect the EMRAX 228 motor will be over its continous power limit at 550 lbs GW.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
EMRAX makes bigger ones... :)

Oskar

Aircraft
EMRAX makes bigger ones... :)
The next size up (EMRAX 268) would be perfect for a two seat helicopter, the EMRAX 228 I'm using is perfect for a single seat. 550lbs GW is in that awkward in between spot, neither motor is well suited for that.

grevis

Aircraft
Mosquito XE285
Real nice Oskar. Will be interesting to see the rate of descent on a longer auto, and if not driving that tail makes a noticeable effect.

Helios

Here is a recent article from Electric VTOL News on "Stielau's Electric Helicopter" which also includes a YouTube link on flight - Click Here

Last edited:

9aplus

Oskar,
congrats on your nice development.
Just to note about can bus...
From the experience of glass cockpit upgrades on Cessna using mostly Garmin,
like to suggest you to use shielded twisted pair and to be careful on possible short
circuit on buss - especially on connectors. Use shirms on each soldered wire.
Please keep good work...
Regards
Djani