HEAVY LOAD - Gyro for a big pilot

Carybaskin

I am wanting to get back into flying and love gyros & I have two questions;

1) I am 6'3" tall and weigh around 370lbs....is there a gyro out there that can accommodate my size and be within correct ranges?,

2) I like a "Plan B" in the event of something catastrophic....
Has anyone installed one of these safety chute systems on a gyro?
Looks very interesting:

All feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks

I'd look at the Phoenix gyro, when it comes out. Side by side with Ballistic chute in tail.

Sounds like You need the modern Titanium autogyro ... very high payload ... 2 place so you can also be instructed in it.

Forget about the parachute ... all they do is give you a false-feel-good sensation of safety . In real life you need to be at high altitude to hope to even make it work ... which is the opposite of what gyros are used for

One of the worlds top rotorcraft engineers said .... count the dollar cost and count the pounds of weight of a ballistic chute .... but dont install one . Instead use the dollars and pounds toward making your machine less likely to fail . Then you have something.

Yes that's the one ... thanks for the picture DarDow101

Carybaskin
... not sure but I think there are some Titanium gyros in Texas and may be some for sale

Best wishes .

I am wanting to get back into flying and love gyros & I have two questions;

1) I am 6'3" tall and weigh around 370lbs....is there a gyro out there that can accommodate my size and be within correct ranges?,

2) I like a "Plan B" in the event of something catastrophic....
Has anyone installed one of these safety chute systems on a gyro?
Looks very interesting:

All feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks

We are considering offering the GRS as a standard option for AR-1. It is absolutely the last resort. Its not about the machine failing but there is no machine that can save you from yourself every time. No machine handles flying in IMC and getting disoriented or getting into a midair collision or having an engine out over a whole bunch of trees as far as eye can see for example. GRS is said to work from 500 feet and even though they claim fully opening even from 350 feet I tend to doubt that. In my opinion 500 feet is not flying high. Its very low.
Our limit though is 265 to 270 pounds in front seat depending on options. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information!!!
God bless!!!
you are welcome , and bless you too.

Keep in touch ... your experiences searching for what you want will add to our education as well.

A couple of years ago somebody did a side by side comparison of the various popular gyros as to what the actual payloads are ... from memory the Titanium gyro came out on top with about 700 pounds of passenger/baggage capacity.

If I find the link I will post it.