Headsets

Sv.grainne

I did my first flight lesson today and want to ask a general question. Hope this forum is ok. I am looking for a headset which had local volume control. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Need to be able to increase the volume and also reduce it depending on machine I'm in.

Thanks in advance, Bobby

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I use a David Clark H10-56HX (the HXL has electronic noise cancellation powered by a 9-volt battery and the HXP has a panel mount unit using aircraft power; I have both). It has super deep ear cups for maximum noise attenuation and independent volume controls for each ear. It was designed for noisy helicopter cockpits and provides a quieter ride than any other brand or model I've seen. All the David Clark products are bullet-proof, with factory support forever, and after many years if you ever manage to wear something out (such as an ear seal) you can always get replacement parts.

Ed L

Best headset I've tried:

smiles,
Charles
I LOVE my Halos - in my Piper Warrior. The ONLY thing I’ll use in the plane.

In my gyro, though, my primary/personal is a 30 year old David Clarke H10-40 modified with a Headsets Inc ANR system. My pax headset is a Headsets Inc 6001 ANR with a David Clarke M7A mic replacing its stock mic. That’s actually pretty comparable to my old DC. The ANR works very well and the DC M7A mic is a big improvement over the stock Headsets Inc mic. I picked up the 6001 on eBay for $180, as I recall.

I’m a big believer in ANR for the gyro. Have tried my Halo in the gyro and it’s not bad but not as good.

Ed L

Mine is a Magni M-16. The back seat gets a lot of wind noise and I haven’t found any headsets that are really, really good back there. The ones I mentioned are the best I’ve found so far but not ideal.

I installed a push-to-talk button for the intercom in the back, which helps cut the wind noise coming from the rear mic but when I push the front intercom PTT button to speak with the rear pax that makes their mic go live too and gets the wind noise. I think my next step is to change the back switch for a double pole one that not only controls the intercom line but the actual mic line as well

Sv.grainne

Mine is a Magni M-16. The back seat gets a lot of wind noise and I haven’t found any headsets that are really, really good back there. The ones I mentioned are the best I’ve found so far but not ideal.

I installed a push-to-talk button for the intercom in the back, which helps cut the wind noise coming from the rear mic but when I push the front intercom PTT button to speak with the rear pax that makes their mic go live too and gets the wind noise. I think my next step is to change the back switch for a double pole one that not only controls the intercom line but the actual mic line as well
That's a great idea. I'm going to try and find a cordset with an inline Mike switch. Would help alot.

Ed L

That's a great idea. I'm going to try and find a cordset with an inline Mike switch. Would help alot.
Just be careful: most, if not all, in-line mike switches are intended to trigger a radio transmission and not activate an intercom. Most intercoms, including gyros except ones wired as I’ve done, are “hot” all the time and managed by an adjustable intercom squelch. For my Magni, if I’m alone I can set the squelch so that the front mic won’t trigger it unless I speak because wind noise in the front isn’t too bad. But with someone plugged into the back the wind always breaks the intercom squelch and gives wind noise on the intercom. In fact, my instructor (Dayton Dabbs) flew with the mic jack pulled in the back and inserted it to speak - until he saw how I modified mine 😁.

Bottom line, make sure you’re interrupting the right thing!

Sv.grainne

Thanks, was aware of that. The VOX was on and mic noise from my rear seat position caused wind noise the whole flight. Want to be able to switch just the mic on and off and also to engage intercom and mic at the same time in certain situations. I have wiring diagrams and 50 years of electronics/communications experience...

Bobby

Sv.grainne

I ordered a David Clark H10-60 headset today and connectors so that I can add a mic audio PTT switch when on a Gyro with vox active. The switch only enables mic audio does not activate a non vox intercom or com radio transmit function. I'll post a drawing once I have a chance to clean it up some.

This setup will be good for 2 place machines with passenger in the back seat. Requires no changes to existing audio wiring will also include circuit for dpst intercom switch so that aft mic is not active when forward mic is. Should cut down noise considerably in most situations.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Best headset I've tried:

smiles,
Charles
Really, Charles. Have you compared them to Bose? When pilots call me on their cell phone on Bose with Bluetooth I've had to ask if they were in the air = and they were.

I like that it would work with almost any helmet. I could wear my cooler looking motorcycle helmet.

Sv.grainne

Problem is wind and ambient noise on the live mic in the back seat when Vox is active. Will install a cordset mic switch to solve the problem when flying with active Vox.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Problem is wind and ambient noise on the live mic in the back seat when Vox is active. Will install a cordset mic switch to solve the problem when flying with active Vox.
That been solved by others by covering the mic foam with a leather slipcover that has small holes in the leather. If someone has one please post a picture of the cover. This works, I've heard the difference.