Hawk 5

Illini85

This is the Groen Brothers operation revised. I believe, if memory serves, they developed prototype single and two place gyros (Hawk 1 and 2). They also built the Hawk 4 which famously provided aerial patrol during the Salt Lake Winter Olympics. A very serious design and engineering firm that has focused its efforts on military and commercial applications. I believe they actually received DARPA money to explore development but when that ran out there really wasn't a revenue stream to fuel ongoing operations. They did provide a retrofit tail kit for the RAF gyro that had a cruciform tail configuration. That lead to them ultimately to offer a full kit marketed as the Sparrowhawk.

The company went through bankruptcy and then recapitalization and I thought Chinese interests had purchased them at one point. I just think they never found a market that could pay their price that wasn't being served by helicopters.

This link provides more info.

http://www.buildagyrocopter.com/groen-brothers-hawk-gyroplane/

That single place Hawk is a very appealing design from an aesthetic point of view.

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
Thanks. I knew all the Groen players very welll, including many Sparrowhawk dealers who collectively lost millions. David Groen’s greatest gift was getting investors, not designing, or building gyros. The Hawk 4 cost more than a Jet Ranger with 1/2 the usefulness. I spent lots of time at their Buckeye operation which lost millions of dollars. I had a Sparrowhawk which I flew to all 48 states in the US in 2006.

My real question is has this new iteration actually built anything?

Anyone know?

twistair

Living in the Skies
Aircraft
none own :( currently flying Calidus mostly
Total Flight Time
Don't know exactly, ca. 3000 hours
My real question is has this new iteration actually built anything?
At the moment nothing at their website tells about this. Their "team" list also doesn't show any attention to technical part of any design project: director, brigade general, advisor, advisor, general again etc etc. Looks like the same Groen game at their best.
Website content is also nothing but cheap cartoon videos and some veeery old photos of Hawk-4 .