Hauled my gyro to NW EAA Fly-In at Arlington WA

CopterBob

Aircraft
Brock style gyrocopter, scratch built
Total Flight Time
I trailered my simple old Brock style gyro (hoping to sell it) over the Cascades to the big Arlington, WA EAA fly-in and had a great time flying and explaining gyros to bunches of people. To my surprise I got an invite to fly mine during the afternoon demo time in the ultralight area along with the manufacturers. Couldn't do anything too flashy, but simple "real slow" flight down the runway, hover into the wind, a single 360 degree pirouette, and a steep descent to a near zero rollout landing got a great response from the crowd. I was the ONLY gyro on the field at the time, to the best of my knowledge. A dealer's Sparrowhawk (which he graciously gave me a ride in) was there for a few hours Friday before disappearing and one other dealer's gyro for a few hours on Saturday. (Sorry for forgetting your names) Not sure why such a lack of gyro attendance. There weren't enough people for a planned PRA chapter meeting.

It's still amazes me at how many "aviation nuts" haven't actually seen a gyro fly in person. The Arlington EAA chapter put on a great event at a great facility, very professional but still with a friendly, local feel. I hadn't been to an event with my gyro in years and had forgotten how much fun it could be.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
That is what we all need to do!

That is great news.

Hanging out with gyro people all the time I tend to forget just how impressed the general public is with a no-roll landing and other normal manouvers for a gyro.

Just getting out and flying and being seen in normal flight is all we really need to do to get the word out and popularize our sport.

Static displays are nice but tend to produce "you fly that?" but give them a simple demo and now that will stick with them!

gyropilot

Only GyroBee Memories
Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
Not sure why such a lack of gyro attendance.
Bob,

Sorry you came all the way over and found the tumble weeds blowin through gyro land out here in the Pacific NW. It didn't used to be that way...

Many of us have spent YEARS faithfully attending the Arlington Airshow (and many other airshows around the Pacific NW) with our gyros. Heck, I used to arrive at Arlington with my gyro and backpacking tent on Wednesday, and then stay all the way through Sunday - rain or shine. I survived on air show corn dogs and soda. I'd fly in the demos, hand out PRA chapter brochures, go hoarse explaining over-and-over how gyros works, how much they cost, how fast they fly, where to get training, how to get started, etc., etc.

But in all those years meeting all those countless thousands of people who seemed so very interested in gyros, I can't think of a single person I met who actually followed all the way through to build and fly a gyro. Everyone I know around here who's into gyros was already interested in them before they showed up at Arlington asking any questions.

It slowly dawned on me over the years that a person who genuinely wants to build and fly a gyro will take the initiative on their own to reach out, research, and seek the help of others. It's rare for someone to just see a gyro at an airshow (around the Pacific NW anyway) and "get the bug." Jim Vanek of SportCopter apparently learned this long before I did, because he stopped going to Arlington many years ago when he couldn't justify the expense and time (no sales). Now the SparrowHawk folks are starting to face reality too.

To be sure, I had a lot of fun at Arlington over the years, but I now prefer to spend my scarce vacation time actually flying my gyro rather than standing there in the baking sun (or rain) answering the same questions over and over when nothing ever seems to come from it.

Having said all that, I am planning to fly my gyro to the Concrete, WA flyin the last Saturday of July. It's an old fashioned small town flyin... they have good BBQ there! :)

Best regards,

John L.

Last edited:

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
I know of two people that are building gyrobees just from watching my screen saver in class....

Hard to tell were the next pilot/builder will come from.

I am glad to hear the PRA advertised in a motorcycle magazine. That might just be the fertile ground we are looking for.

In any case, showing a gyro at an event, for years even, if it produces no new pilots still introduces people to our sport and helps when it comes to getting hangars and recognition and support.

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
Hey Bob, I found this great forum and have been busy trying to catch up on all the new developments and goings on in this great hobby. Glad to hear you are out and flying about. Your

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
Still can't operate these things. Your post brings to mind our great times at the Smilin Jack fly-ins at Dunn. It does confound me why everyone is not flying a Gyro!We flew when it was too windy to taxi an ultralite FW, flew circles around them when they did fly, and landed on their tie down spot while they were taxiing back from the runway. I am afraid I'm getting the bug again, just writing this. Sold the Bensen yet? I miss those flights down the beach! Kiss the missus for me, Lee.

Harry_S.

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
2000+ hrs.
Copter Bob;

Your post was like a breath of fresh air. Thank you. :D

Cheers :)

Gary_in_Orygun

Ex-RAF 2000 Driver
2002 and 2003 I too attended Arlington. It is a 5 hour drive for me to get there.

This year, I and some other PRA 73 club members are attending the McMinnville NWAAC (NorthWest Antique Aircraft Club) flyin Aug 17 - 19. Our chapter is trying to make an appearance. Personally, I'm trying to make it a flying social event. I never get to chat much with club members at a meeting because I'm busy with club duties. Hanging out at the airport all day with other members should provide that opportunity (if they show up).

AND, we have brochures to hand out to the public...AND hopefully, my gyro won't be the only one there.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
IT was at a Airshow in Florida where I saw a gyro that put the bug into me. With-in two weeks of that airshow I owned my own gyro, and had gotten my first ride in one. And within a month of that airshow I had attended my first Bensen Days and had gotten trained on how to fly one. Don't discount the airshows guys!

Tina

Total Flight Time
400+ FW 100+ GYRO
IT was at a Airshow in Florida where I saw a gyro that put the bug into me. With-in two weeks of that airshow I owned my own gyro, and had gotten my first ride in one. And within a month of that airshow I had attended my first Bensen Days and had gotten trained on how to fly one. Don't discount the airshows guys!
I too was hooked on gyros when seeing them again at El Mirage fly-in 2005.

My Dad and I where really just going there to see if they had any Trikes flying. Once we seen the gyros flying the Trikes took a back seat. I have seen gyros in the past but seeing them again sparked my interest big time. I had to get one. Its true if you really want to fly one it takes a lot of determination but that is part of the lure to me, it takes so much dedication to want it. Now that I am actually flying one I can say it is a very special thing flying a gyro, nothing I have every experienced and nothing will ever top it. So we all have to do our part to keep the sport going and fly at air shows because there are people out there that just need to see one and will get hooked and nothing can stop them, they are on a mission.

Dave and I plan to fly at Occotillo wells the low desert in the fall, there are lots of motorcycle and dun buggy people out there. I think a few will see us fly and will get that bug. I am sure we will get lots of people that will just ask lots of silly questions. What a joy it is sharing this with others that never even seen a gyro fly, and maybe one will take it to heart and go for it, like we all did ;)

CopterBob

Aircraft
Brock style gyrocopter, scratch built
Total Flight Time
Wow, I hadn't checked this thread in weeks. Nice to see the responses (to say nothing of seeing a thread that is concentrating on the joyful side of flying!) For sure there has been a major change in gyro interest over the past decade or so. When my Florida gyro flying buddies and I started around 1990, the interest was much more intense and every fly-in had new gyros showing up. Lee Scatt and his dad got me interested and demystified the whole gyro thing. Next thing I knew I had training, a beautiful gyro and was flying all over Florida at different events. And I never tired of talking gyros at the fly-ins, maybe because I wasn't a dealer trying to make a living, but just trying to share the experience.

But to get back on track, of all the things I've flown, the gyro is the only flying machine that consistently gives me that sense of exhilaration at every takeoff. And the experience at a fly-in makes me appreciate even more how special an experience gyronauting is. We're a much more exclusive group than we realize.

One of my favorite gyro memories: Cruising down the FL Spacecoast about 100 yards off the beach at about 20 ft altitude, and having a swimming dolphin roll on its side to look up at me straight in the eyes as I slowly flew over. Sure never had that experience in a Piper.

Regards,
Bobby

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
After many years in aviation I had never really been exposed to or seen much on gyros except for 'Little Nellie' on the James Bond film. Since retiring I got interested in gyros when helping my younger son in the US who wants to get into flying but concerned about the cost. I came across the Carter Aviation Technologies website and got hooked on his plans for a 2 place PAV personal Air Vehicle using the slowed rotor concept which would combine low cost VTOL and a better range and speed than the normal gyo. (We all persue different aims together with a common bond, the joy of flight and I am hoping for a cross country machine that also gives me the joys of gyreening.

Took my first gyro lesson this last saturday, in the much maligned RAF, yes I know about the stability problems. Had the time of my life. Back in the air again, a huge blast doing something totaly different.The FW pilot takes the runway opens the throttle and you are pretty well done. I found myself with lots more to do to get into the air with a much more lively machine on the runway. Then huge fun in the air. Loved the low slow flight, open cockpit, and sheer exhileration, it is very special. I can only hope that I can introduce my son to a unique sector of aviation

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
Bob,
Good to hear that you are still in gyros.I lost touch when I retired from the sunstate presidents slot,Still flying though!