Happy Memorial Day

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582, 2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
529 hours
I was having fun today, flying around checking things out and I noticed something in the distance. 3 Apache helicopters passing by about 1/2 mile to my side at my altitude.

They carry a strong presence and I felt honored to share the sky with them.

On a non flying day up on the station, we were at the homestead having lunch when we could hear a noise what sounded like a chopper that was getting closer and closer. We got up to take a look and saw 3 blackhawks fly near over the homestead at 50' and straight over the cattle yards that were full of cattle (2000 head) and carried on straight through the station low. Just amazing to think how stupid they were, every station in Oz has nearly constant air work going on. I am sure glad I wasn't flying that day, way to busy to be looking out for other aircraft while mustering.

wolfy

I once had a C-130 Hercules cruise right through UNDERNEATH my glider while I was in the pattern at my gliderport (no radio call, of course). Military pilots don't always make sensible choices.

Didn't Rusty Nance bring an Apache helicopter to a gyro fly-in some time ago.

Last edited:
My experience has been that military aircraft can hear your calls to tower, you can't hear theirs.
Had two AV8B's fly under me at MCAS, I made mention to the tower it looked like they were headed my way.
Before tower could respond I got this "pilot in cool little heli, this is Havoc 26 we have you in sight and we will not be an issue for you if you maintain your downwind!"
Tower comes back with "Gyro 388HS, you copy last?"
I did. They flew under me and went into a duet vertical thrust landing on the other side of airport.
Sorry no vids.
Happy Memorial day, remember our fallen and watch Patton for the 35th time....

What tower? Not at my gliderport (marked on the sectional chart with a CTAF and a glider symbol).

Waspy one, not saying you had a tower. Just that any comms you put out, I bet they pick up.
If your curious about MCAS look up Yuma International Airport (KYUM or KYNL?) On Airnav.
It is a split airport, half civilian airliners and half Marine Corps Air Station.

I used to fly out of Kirtland AFB / Albuquerque International Sunport plus Peterson AFB / Colorado Springs Airport, both with shared tower and shared runways.

At GA uncontrolled fields, the military pilots passing by have to tune to the CTAF or they'll never hear you. Some do, some don't.

While I was training in Beeville, TX very common for Navy trainers to come thru. They were on CTAF, some commented on the "nice gyro".

I am 30 miles south of Fort Campbell. We have Chinooks and Black Hawks 24/7 all the time using our airport.
Several years ago, there was 2 in formation flying by over the runway at about 200'agl, They announced the flyby and I responded that I was at the northwest corner of the airport at 500'. They and I thought is was neat that I fell in a loose formation with them. They were all eyes and plenty of thumbs ups from both of them.
I did not want to get too close to them though, I was a bit nervous about their rotor wash!