Hanging it up

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
It is with deep regret I am making this post.
After 26 years of flying gyros I have to stay ground bound,at least as P.I.C.
I have had several "small" strokes over the past few years and the last one made me stop and think.If this will happen on the ground could it happen on the air? Well Yes it could! and I am afraid that it would. I am now 72 years old and as I said I have had 26 years of the most fun that is known to man kind.
I am not going to crawl into a hole and feel sorry for myself. I will be active in the sport,just on the ground. I will still work at Bensen Days on the radio and where ever else Scott and Erine needs me. I have made more friends through SunState Rotor club and value all of you in this movement.
Jake is coming up to help me get the machine in flying order then I will put it on the market, Just think a dominator "built by Jake" the best of two worlds! A dominator, the best flying machine by far and built by Jake the best builder in the state of Florida! How much better could it be?
Many thanks to all of you and may God bless all as I have been blessed.

Bud O'Neal

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Bless your heart Bud for the painful but very wise decision. You are truly a great example of a wise man. This decision have had to be made out of love for the ones around you who want to know that you stay safe and with us for a long time. My hats off to you Bud. Proud to know you :)
God bless you.:usa2:
ps: Jake you are also a true gentleman (but I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to :) )

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Well, you can help someone to soil underware anytime, can´t you? :D
Wishing you the best of health
Heron

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Bud- Since I started coming to Bensen Days in 2005, I soon discovered how respected you are as a pilot and more importantly as a person. I soon acquired those same observations. I have to look at your "ending" of 26 years of gyro flying as a big positive. You have 26 years of experiences that you can sit in your easy chair and relive over and over again. To me, that is so much more than the vast majority that will NEVER have even one of those experiences! Bud, just sit back and enjoy those memories you were so blessed to have experienced, and the high level of respect you have earned. I would give you a standing ovation. God bless. Stan

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Aw Stan, he is not going anywhere . . .
coming to think of it, ovation, ovo = egg, what if . . .??? :D
Heron

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Sad news Bud.

Sad news Bud.

Life is an adventure and it is not over until it is over.

There are changes and I have found it is best to embrace the change.

I look forward to seeing you at Bensen days.

Thank you, Vance

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Bud, I admire and respect you for your decision. I've never thought "he died doing what he loved" was how I'd want to be remembered.

I'd bet that as long as there are two-place machines turning up at fly-ins, you'll be able to get a little stick time every now and then.

Thank you for your contributions to the sport!

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Sorry to hear that a chapter in your book of adventures is closing for you.
Have you been struggling with special issuance medical certificates since your troubles started?

Russ Hobbs

Aircraft
Dominator Ultra white
Total Flight Time
30 Dual time
Paul's right Bud. You just need a 2 place Dominator and one of your pilot friends to fly with, change could be all you need to really juice things up again
Russ

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
Bud,

I'm sorry to hear it, but I know you thought long and hard about the decision. If my machine will lift us both, you're welcome to fly with me anytime. There's always the Bonanza as well...not quite the same as a gyro, but it does help one commit aviation.

Mike G

Aircraft
Owned Magni M16 now ELA 07
Total Flight Time
550FW + 500 gyro
Bud
I don't know you and you don't know me but I know that your decision awaits us all. Good luck.
Mike G

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
You still have more memories and experiences to look back at and friends to tell lies too, than most anybody. Congratulations on a great lifetime of flying.

Last edited:

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
Many thanks to all for all the kind words.It was a very hard decision for me to make,And as Jon said I have been mulling this over for a while. I have had several offers for a ride at Bensen Days 2011 and will be there with bells on,Gods will.
And yes I grew up in the time of all the greats of gyro flying and have some great tales to tell. Mybe a book of "Gyro Tales" is in the future.

M._Springer

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Bensen
Total Flight Time
5000+
Bud I know it was a tough decision to make

Bud I know it was a tough decision to make

I love gyro flying dearly and I know the time will come when I have to make the decision that you did. I hope I can give it up as graciously as you have when it's time for me to hang up the old flight suit and helmet.
Marion

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Well done and well said! Don't hesitate to ask for a ride in the Twinstarr!

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
If you ever decide to come to Ireland you are more than welcome to see it from the air in the two seater. Anytime, Bud

Not Yet

Total Flight Time
Bud

I have come to respect you very much, and I’m sorry you had to make your wise decision. Your future contributions to gyro flying will be greatly appreciated.

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
Aircraft
Pipers/Cessna's/gyro's
Total Flight Time
3,000+
Bud, I hope everything goes well with whatever you decide to pursue next. I'm glad you have had the chance to experience flight.

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
Sorry to hear that a chapter in your book of adventures is closing for you.
Have you been struggling with special issuance medical certificates since your troubles started?
No troubles with such as that. However it expired this month and I will not attempt to renew it.

Steve McGowan

Gold Member
Thats just paper Bud.... You'll be with us a long long time,, and by the way,, You have a seat with your name on it with anything I fly.

Mr Spock said,, Live LONG and Prosperous..

for "You Be" the "Bud Man"