Hand held radios

DangerBird

Aircraft
MuscleBee sold, Frankin-copter being built
Total Flight Time
Hi guys,
It looks like it is time to get a radio. I'm looking at some of the hand held nav/coms. The radios I'm looking at are
Yaesu fta 750 L
Sportys 400
Icom A25
What do you guys think and what do you use

Wow, 100 folks have read this post and no one has an opinion on what they use for a comm radio. Did I give bad choices? That's why we come here to and ask and learn

Several years ago, I purchased an Icom A6 and a Flycom Helmet and intercom system to use on my Dominator.
I am not familiar with the A25 and its navigation feature. The A6 has been a really good choice for me.

Thank you David, I have heard a lot of people love their Icoms. The nav stuff is kind of newish but a nice back up

I have a Yaesu (350?). I used to use it until I bought and old Becker in dash transceiver. I had no issues.

I have a Yaesu hendheld for a hangar and backup radio, very happy with it.

Thank you guys, I used a Yaesu back in early 2000s and liked it, I think I'm leaning that way again, I just wanted to hear what my fellow gyro pilots use and what they think of the nav stuff incorporated in the new radios

I have a Icom handheld. Bought it over 10 years ago. Can't remember what model it is, but it was the cheapest model they offered with a lithium battery at that time. Works great. And battery lasts forever on a charge.

Thanks Ron, A lot of folks seem to like their Icoms

ICOM works great. Used in PA-11 and J3 for years. The new ones have Bluetooth now! Displays are bigger too.

I've had 2 different Yaesu's . Receiving has always been great, but I have had some intermittent problems transmitting. I haven't worked as hard at setting up my antenna as others do, and I did have a bad mic so it wasn't all Yaesu's fault either.

I picked an Icom A6 and Icom A24 (both were used and fairly cheap). I keep one on the charger and one on the gyro and when the battery is low on one I change it out for the other, they are almost identical. The ni-cad batteries have died in both so I have bought replacement lithium batteries on ebay which work great. I have an external antenna that plugs into the top and the GA headset adapter. I use a Bose A20 GA headset which I love and people tell me the radio sounds good so I am happy with the setup.

Get an ICOM A-6 and a AvCom headset with the PTT button on the side and then you dont have to buy an additional PTT harness.

I'd look on Ebay first.

On my last gyro, I had the radio mounted to the side, on a small panel next to the throttle, so I didn't even need a push to talk switch, could just push in the button on the side of the radio itself to transmit. I liked that the lithium battery would last for weeks before needing a charge

I have a Yaesu 550L, which is good for the price. It also has VOR capability.

Anyone tried the Rexon RHP539e