Hand held radios

DangerBird

Aircraft
MuscleBee sold, Frankin-copter being built
Total Flight Time
Excellent, that is what I was hoping to hear

DarDow101

Dar
Icom A25N. Just purchased one from MyPilotStore.com. I have a A6 I am upgrading from and I'm really impressed with it. It is a Nav Comm radio. It is easy to figure out the menu's and fixes all the issues the A6 had. Also has blue tooth so if u have a blue tooth capable headset/helmet no cords needed. I still have and am using the cords but this is because I already had the needed adapter plugs for my Commtronics custom built helmet.
The side tone for the mic is something I really like and also how intuitive the programming for frequencies and way points are. And the screen is quite large making it easy to read. Very pleased with it so far.
ica25n.jpg
ica25-2.jpgica25-1.jpgica25-3.jpg

DangerBird

Aircraft
MuscleBee sold, Frankin-copter being built
Total Flight Time
Thanks Dar, the a25 is one of my two top choices. I'm going to look closer at it now

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
I bought the A25N, and tried to use it with the Sena bluetooth system in my helmet. My mic audio, which everyone said sounded great when the helmet was paired with my phone, sounded terrible when paired with the radio.

I think what they've done is tailored the equalization of the radio's transmit audio to work with the accessory headset sold by Icom. It's possible it won't sound good with anything else.

DarDow101

Dar
I bought the A25N, and tried to use it with the Sena bluetooth system in my helmet. My mic audio, which everyone said sounded great when the helmet was paired with my phone, sounded terrible when paired with the radio.

I think what they've done is tailored the equalization of the radio's transmit audio to work with the accessory headset sold by Icom. It's possible it won't sound good with anything else.
Did u try and set the side tone to a lower level? I had to use that feature in order to get my mic to work correctly. The tansmission after that sounded clear as a bell.

DarDow101

Dar
I especially like the how the A25N shows you a percentage rate of the battery while charging even if the radio is off. Once it reaches 100% charge the display turns off as it normally would when you turn it off. You also can use the same charger from the A6 A16 so you don't need to buy another new charger.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
Did u try and set the side tone to a lower level?
I did not. Sidetone should affect only what you hear in your own headset. The poor transmit audio quality I'm talking about is what other people hear over the air. I don't believe there's any adjustment available on the radio for that, but I'll take another look when I get a chance.

DavePA11

Transmit problems are typically due to poor antenna grounding (if using external antenna) or interfering noise from engine.

Last edited:

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
Transmit problems are typically due to poor antenna grounding (if using external antenna) or interfering noise from engine.
Neither was an issue in my case. The audio was clear, noise-free and plenty loud. The issue seemed to be that the radio applied some kind of equalization, perhaps matched intentionally to the characteristics of the proprietary headset, that wasn't appropriate for the headset I chose to try.