Gyrotec DF-02 passed German Homologation process

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
Finally we get some choice in Germany. Gyros are considered ultralights here with MTOW 300kg (660lbs) single or 450kg (990lbs) two-seaters

The DF-02 is the first approved single seater in Germany. It has a glider-like enclosure and can be flown open with windshield or closed, even with heating.

Powered by a Hirth 3503E (well, that may be the downside) with 70 HP.

Base model is priced at 30000 Euros + VAT.

Kai.

Attachments

• gyrotec (5).JPG
    gyrotec (5).JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 4
  • gyrotec.JPG
    gyrotec.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 4
They did that Homologation in WWII and it didnt work then either.

Nice bird. Hirth is German. Everyone likes to dump on them but they must have not killed somebody because they have been around like forever!

Fiveboy
(yes I have a Hirth and I have since found religion)

Just a comment...

Hirth was a well-known and prestigious company, making excellent products.

Göbler-Hirth is -in fact- a different company.

As we say in Spanish, 'A buen entendedor, pocas palabras faltan...'.

Rgds

Xavier

Sounds really strange, yes... :confused:

In Spain, and in many other European countries (if not all), the criteria is the same as in Germany...

Xavier

When a joke has to be explained I guess it wasnt funny.

You may recall our fascist Nazi friends rounded up the HOMOsexuals. Perhaps it was called homologation. I was just making a bad play on words (homologation -homo location!??).

The operation was a success but I guess this patient died.

Xavier... hablo Espanol pero no entiendo nada que lo que digo!

Phew.

Fiveboy

The Junkers Jumo 004 jet engine on the Me-262 used a Hirth 2-stroke engine as a starter.

Attachments

• Jumo 004.jpg
    Jumo 004.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
Damn Chuck. You find the coolest stuff!!

John, this is the Me-262 on display at the Air Force Museum at Dayton. The photo was lifted off Wiki.

I had seen that rope dangling out of the engine accessory cover when touring the museum so looked into it when I got home.

Wow, I'm speechless. This may be a first for me guys! Never shut up - sorry, but if you talk to Stan on the phone we are tied for 1st place, so I feel I'm in good company at least!

I agree with John you come up with the best facts!!!

There have been all kinds of clever ways of starting engines. Some of the larger piston engines used a blank 12 gauge shotgun shell as a gas generator to drive a piston back and turn the engine over by a rack and pinion system.

The USAF F-89 (Westinghouse engines, I think) used an explosive cartridge that drove a small turbine which in turn started the engines.

It takes a good amount of power to get a gas turbine up to starting speed. Electric starter motors are heavy and require an APU to furnish the juice. A small 2-stroke engine incorporated into the accessory drive is as good a way as any.

The Junkers Jumo 004 jet engine on the Me-262 used a Hirth 2-stroke engine as a starter.

Well, it wasn't manufactured by Hirth. It was called a 'Riedelanlasser', after the name of the designer, I believe. You can find quite a few PDFs on the subject in:

http://www.hanshandlampe.de/index.php/mz-bk350.html

Just search in the lower part of the page... I've just read the first lines of the first paper...

The internet is incredible...

Rgds

Xavier

Back at Beale AFB we had a starter for the SR-71 that consisted of 2 Buick 454 engines connected to a shaft to start their engines when we had to recover it from bases that didn't have standard APU's They normally used 4 standard APU's connected together. It was a real pain to squeeze that thing into a KC-135.

I love what I learn from you on this site!!!
Thank you so much.

Well, it wasn't manufactured by Hirth. It was called a 'Riedelanlasser', after the name of the designer, I believe. You can find quite a few PDFs on the subject in:

http://www.hanshandlampe.de/index.php/mz-bk350.html

Just search in the lower part of the page... I've just read the first lines of the first paper...

The internet is incredible...

Rgds

Xavier
I certainly agree with that, Xxavier. The impact of the Internet may surpass that of the printing press.

When a joke has to be explained I guess it wasnt funny.

You may recall our fascist Nazi friends rounded up the HOMOsexuals. Perhaps it was called homologation. I was just making a bad play on words (homologation -homo location!??).

Yes, indeed, not funny any more :D

I guess we have come a long way in Germany, with the mayor of Berlin and the head of the liberal party (actually free trade, free market, free exploitation party) being gay and the anchorwoman of the main news talkshow being lesbian.

Kai.

Sr 71 Starters

Sr 71 Starters

Back at Beale AFB we had a starter for the SR-71 that consisted of 2 Buick 454 engines connected to a shaft to start their engines when we had to recover it from bases that didn't have standard APU's They normally used 4 standard APU's connected together. It was a real pain to squeeze that thing into a KC-135.

I have a friend who flew the Blackbird and actually sent me pictures of those starter engines. Do you happen to know Gordon Symonds?

He told me the coolest story of how they were not allowed to eat on long missions but would sneak cheese sandwiches into the cockpit in their flight suits and melt the cheese by pressing them against the window! It got that hot.

Fiveboy

Whoohoo! Congratulations. Now you will have to stay away from the internet as you are busy with production, I guess?

Kai.