Gyrostat,The brainchild of Dr.Igor Bensen,

scandtours

scandtours
Aircraft
Bensen,Brock, Parsons Tandem
Do you want to read the whole story o this Gyrostat....Dr. Bensen was controlling forward motion and Sidney Conn altitude- steered the vehicle in a perfect clockwise circle..........
Really very funny story that youll not stop laughing.

Attachments

• bl.jpg
    bl.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1
I am continually amazed at your sheer endless fundus of stories and pictures. Where do you get them all, Giorgos?

And can you post the whole story of the "Gyrostat"?

-- Chris.

One of Bensen’s wildest contraptions was a pair of McCulloch engines mounted at the opposite ends of a beam facing downward, with him seated in the middle and flying this thing with vanes in the propeller slipstreams.

I’ll bet Giorgos has pictures on file.

Last edited:
Different “Chuck,” Giorgos.

My only knowledge of this contraption was from having seen pictures.

Didn't Mr Bensen also build what he called a ..... "flying bedstead" .... I recall 4 (or 6) engines on a framework with downward thrusting props. I think control was by varying the throttles of each engine.

Saw it in an old Popular Science magazine I think.

It’s a shame there’s no biography of Bensen. His story is unique.

I’ve heard bits and dabs; like the time he landed GE’s Kellett on a frozen lake and couldn’t get enough traction to spin up the rotor and had to be towed off.

The Kellett had a 100 HP prerotator and was used as a dynamometer to drive the Doblhoff* tip jet rotor for cold measurements. Most likely a Kellett XR-3 that had swash plate cyclic.

He was flying the Doblhof helicopter at GE’s flight test center in Schenectady, NY when it broke into air resonance, splattered and resulted in severe spinal injuries that led to Parkinson’s disease in later life.

Bensen served as chief engineer of Kaman Helicopters after leaving GE and before forming his own company.

Wish I knew more.

*Full report is here:

http://retromechanix.com/article/ro...f-342-v4-evaluation-by-general-electric-1948/

Attachments

• Doblhoff.JPG
    Doblhoff.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Didn't Mr Bensen also build what he called a ..... "flying bedstead" .... I recall 4 (or 6) engines on a framework with downward thrusting props. I think control was by varying the throttles of each engine.

Saw it in an old Popular Science magazine I think.

Here is the one I was talking about ..... known as the Bensen B-12 "Sky-Way" or "Sky-Mat"

Attachments

• bensen b12 skymat.JPG
    bensen b12 skymat.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
  • bensen flying bedstead.JPG
    bensen flying bedstead.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1
Did Igor Bensen invent the multicopter?

:D I wonder if the gyrostat lost height on downwind turns ??? :D
Santos Dumont did it a bit more elegantly (note the attire) back at the turn of the century. Come to think of it, his circuit around the Eiffel Tower might have been the real "turn" of the century.

Attachments

• santos-dumont-no-3.jpg
    santos-dumont-no-3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1
  • santos.jpg
    santos.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1