Gyros in Arizona

Mike Schallmann

Mad Man MIke
Aircraft
Custom single seat gyro and 1939 Aeronca Chief.
Total Flight Time
950 (400 FW & 550 in Gyros)
PRA -15 has about 16 active members --but unfortunately there are only 2 flying gyros at the present time. About 6-8 members show up at the monthly meeting at the Coolidge Airport on a regular basis. The Meetings are held on the third full weekend of the month from Sept to May --the rest of the time it is to hot to fly!-We DRY CAMP in the center of the Airport. The FBO and Coolidge are VERY Gyro friendly--and we go out of our way to keep in their good graces--on and off we have been meeting there for over 20 yrs.

I have been president of the club for about 5 years- and will continue until someone else expresses a desire to take over.

During the next few months I will be developing a website in an effort to generate additional interest in gyros--

Mike,
With that many members have you guys thought of doing a group build? Several people could pitch in together and build a gyro. A few guys taking turns flying one gyro is better than no gyro at all.

Mike, that is great news. I think all our PRA chapters should have a web site so we can all go and see what the other guys are doing. We hope to have one here soon maybe after the Ken Brock Freedom Fly-in.

We are all very busy getting ready for the fly-in. We are hoping for a big turn out this year. We should have a tent set up and lots of new and old members helping with the event. We have 19 members now.

Will you be down for the fly-in Mike?

Good luck with it Mike.

With the new generation of turn key stable gyroplanes now availible IMHO the world will see a "boom" in safe gyroplane activity.

Aussie Paul. :)

Tina

Ive made every El Mirage Fly in for the past ten years. I'll be there this year also--I'll probably get there Monday or Tuesday and wont leave until the following Monday--

first meetying of the season will be Sept 15-16 at Coolidge - then on to El Mirage! on the 24thth of Sept!

Scott Tinnesand has a hot new red turbo xenon at Falcon field so maybe you can convince him to fly down to Cooledge that weekend.

Rob

Had a good fly-in / meeting but it was HOT! -About 10 members showed up and there were two gyros there mine and Charlie Mara's . Paul also brought a Kit Fox Light that he had just trailer from Minnesota - We unloaded it and he took it up for a couple of flights.Next month it will be a lot cooler -so we wont have to run our generator all night long--and it is also our Semi Annual Barbeque--this time it will be lip smacking good chicken --

So it looks like your October meeting will be 20/21. I will do a search on that airport and see if I can find it and maybe come over from Farmington if I can get off on Saturday. I would like to meet Charlie Mara and talk to him about training. Hopefully I will have the rest of the bugs worked out of my KB2 and I will be ready to fly by then.

Mike glad to here of the good turn out from the news letter. I am all most finished building back. I need my rotor blades from sport copter just waiting for them then out to Buckeye for GBA to look it over and then flight testing begins. The heat would have been to much for the wife and three dogs still mabee next month but don't know about the gyro.

Mark,
Glad to see you are getting back in the air. It was very nice sharing a meal with you guys at Bensen Days. I hope to see you again.

Mark,
Glad to see you are getting back in the air. It was very nice sharing a meal with you guys at Bensen Days. I hope to see you again.

Mike same here we had great time visiting with you and Bud at the Dinner maybe we will see you again.

Mark--Glad to hear your getting close to flying again-- hope to see you at Coolidge in the near future.

Giro5 --if you want to get with Charlie Mara--send him an E-Mail--he does NOT make every meeting--you can reach Charlie at [email protected]

Mike glad to here of the good turn out from the news letter. I am all most finished building back. I need my rotor blades from sport copter just waiting for them then out to Buckeye for GBA to look it over and then flight testing begins. The heat would have been to much for the wife and three dogs still mabee next month but don't know about the gyro.

Mark this is great news. I thought you had been swallowed up by the Arizona sand. Keep us posted on your progress and pics.:wave: :wave:

Mark this is great news. I thought you had been swallowed up by the Arizona sand. Keep us posted on your progress and pics.:wave: :wave:

All thats left to do is attach the rudder cables still waiting for the rotor blades they said they have to be painted then testflown ETC. No telling how long it will take. BUT IT'S ALL GOOD Patchence is the key to everything I am finding out to bad it has to hurt so much.

Mark: I am so glad to hear you have your SparrowHawk almost done. That was a lot of work. Are you going to be at Bensen days next year? I hope so.....Stan

Mark: I am so glad to hear you have your SparrowHawk almost done. That was a lot of work. Are you going to be at Bensen days next year? I hope so.....Stan

No If posisble shooting for mentone. But thats so far in the future who can say if any of us will be their.

I am new to gyrocopters and would like to know if a gyro Benson or Raf or other with a Subaru 81 all in good shape is worth considering.
Thanks Tom T.

I am new to gyrocopters and would like to know if a gyro Benson or Raf or other with a Subaru 81 all in good shape is worth considering.
Thanks Tom T.
Hey Tom welcome I see your in Scottsdale thats good news for you. because Groen Brothers aviation is out I 10 in buckeye AZ. I would call and talk to Terry the Instructor and set up a demo flight and go before I bought anything. This way you will be able to decide if this is what you want. let me tell you that this is not a cheap sport have Terry go over what is required of you and a ball park for the training. Also Talk to Monty out in the shop he is a Professional when it comes to gyro's and will be able to answer any questions about gyro's what he don't know Terry will. Trust me. #623-3939451 Tell them mark sanders says hi.

Last edited:
My update now years later the Sparrow Hawk is fully operational and I have flown it up to around 2017 its been covered and hangered since then I am getting ready to drain the fuel and change out the fuel filters and do a full inspection on it and make repairs to my gyro trailer. I am ready to get back in the air. I would like to make it back to Benson Days and Ken Brocks freedom flyn. I am a few pounds heavier and a little apprehensive about the first flight after so many years.