GyroRon Flying at Wrens 2008

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
300+
Check out this video I shot of GyroRon Awad at the Wrens 2008 Fly-in, 10/11/08, Wrens, Georgia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wPDeQkweNM

Ron, please let me know if you disapprove and I will remove the vid...

Last edited:
Ron to disapprove?

Ron to disapprove?

Mark:

Ron to disapprove? Are you kidding?
He'll buy you a beer next time you both meet and give you a ride! ;)

Wow

Wow

Wow, those hairpin turns are awesome. Would they be half-death-spirals :D

Fantastic flying and control, Ron.

Kai.

Nice stick Ron.

Mark:

Ron to disapprove? Are you kidding?
He'll buy you a beer next time you both meet and give you a ride! ;)

Yeah... I was kind of weaseling for a beer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nice, thanks.... I was wondering what those simulated engine out 180's looked like.

Great flying, but I didn't see a computer mounted anywhere. How do you keep up with your forum posts while making hairpin maneuvers?

I was trying to land in front of the taxiway on those 180 degree turns.

Thanks Steve! Betcha you would have made it look even better, sure would have sounded better with those big white skywheels of yours popping! :)

Ron you have truely mastered that Dominator, that is great flying and demo of a 180 power out. very impressive.

some may look at that thinking it is showing off. but really it is mastering a flying skill that someday if the engine quit and you where running out of a place to land, that 180 like that could very well save your life.

At what speed and altitude do you enter it at?
it is very impressive to watch and a good skill that more probably should learn.

Now for me to learn to just land stright down the runway..lol

very good demo of what a Gyro can do in the hands of a good pilot.

Last edited:
Pause video at 0:19... WOW!

Pause video at 0:19... WOW!

I just realized something... Pause the video right at 0:19... WOW! :hail:

I wish I had a still-shot of that, but panned-out just a little bit, to show the ground in perspective... which is maybe 25 or 30 feet DIRECTLY below the nose of the gyro!! What other aircraft can do that?!

(Sorry about the roughness of the video. It's shot using a simple Canon point-and-shoot camera, handheld at 6x zoom. First time shooting gyros. I'd do it a little different next time - learned some lessons.)