Gyroplane Legislation and Licensing in the United Kingdom

sargan

I'm extremely interested in building a Gyro from a kit, and I'll be honest struggling somewhat to find out what I can build ........

I did come across this link:
http://www.pra.org/publicdl/Articles General/Gyroflight Online Articles/spring2006_buygyro.pdf

When I contacted PRA to see if there was an updated link .. I was told they would not help as I was not a member ..., if I decide to build I would certainly join ... but they are not helping perspective newcomers with unhelpful attitude.

or does anyone know how to contact Anthony Wilkinson ...

Last edited:
I have heard that building is no longer an option in the UK (I may be wrong)
so the way to do it is buy an old , yet still registered UK gyro, dismantle it then rebuild it with new parts, any parts you don't like the look of you simply discard.

you should be aware that there is a fair amount of red tape, and pain involved, talk with Tom Geek at the BRA, he has been through a 2 year nightmare trying to get his cricket approved, test flown and flyable. he had to get a CAA test pilot to agree it was all ok, but there is currently no CAA employed UK test pilot (hearsay from Tom). He also paid Marc to visit from kent to test fly it and I believe Marc rejected it over a technical issue. During the build you will need regular inspections from a gyro inspector, so I suggest you talk with your nearest gyro inspector before parting with any cash. Gyro inspectors are in short supply and there maybe liability issues to overcome.
self building and flying gyros can be a bit of an uphill struggle.
if you are fully engaged you will be most welcome, help, encouragement and advice will be on tap
I am not a builder , I am a flyer, I bought mine second hand

good luck Peter

By registered does that mean it has a current permit-to fly .... or is that separate to registration.
If it is separate .. what is life of registration?

If you buy 2nd hand ... are you allowed for example to change any of design, or does it have to stay a 'like for like' .... i.e. the power unit .... a modern 4 stroke Rotax being far superior to a 2-stroke unit.
Esp as Rotax are reducing support for 2-stroke units

That BRA article was written in 2006 so yes the information is out of date by quite a wide margin.

The BRA membership is 25 pounds, not a huge amount however save your money, they are almost exclusively factory build two seater oriented, which might have accounted for their inability to help.

Yes you can change items, but if you do it can be a fairly involved process. Be prepared to provide engineering drawings for structural changes, test flights, and approvals from designated inspectors. Rotors engines and props can be changed.

A number of the people who dealt with these changes for the LAA like Peter Lovegrove, Gary Layzelle and others are now no longer doing that.

Registration is one process. Permit to fly is another.

Hi Resasi

Sargan was talking about the PRA not the BRA.

The amount of effort the BRA puts in to single-seat issues is way in excess of that deserved either by their numbers or (more importantly) by the number of single-seat owners who are members. To suggest that those interested in single-seaters shouldn't join makes one wonder whether any of that effort is worthwhile. You really should be setting a better example.

If I'm mixing up acronyms ... apologies - not meaning to offend anyone, not easy to find your way around what is what with Gyros.

Not a problem Rick. I did assume you meant BRA as all you question have been UK based.

Hi Tim, I do not think Rick was talking about the PRA, though I may be wrong, since all his enquiries have been about building in the UK. Perhaps Rick might put us both straight about who he spoke to and who was unhelpful and then the appropriate party can back off.

Way in excess of what they deserve! An interesting way of putting it. As a single seat member of the BRA perhaps you could tell me more than I learned at the last AGM, or at the AGM prior to that, both of which I attended, on the efforts made on our behalf

I certainly agree that very few of the members are single seat, in fact it was made clear there do not seem to be many active ones left.

The example I have made, here on this forum, and at the BRA committee meeting when section 44 was being discussed before being sent to the CAA as a final draft by Phil Harwood resulted in the retention of single seat training in the UK. As you seem new to the forum you might have missed this.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33957

I also attended the Instructors meeting with Richard Craske the CAA representative responsible for gyros in November, and personally know exactly what efforts are being made on behalf of single seat gyros and by whom.

I did suggest that at the stage Nick is at it is not going to help him in any way to join the BRA, should you know of any reason why he should, please do let us know here on the Forum why?

If you in any way have helped Rick please do tell how? I have seen no suggestions, helpful advice of any kind to him from you on any of his posts.

What example have you set, if any?

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing that point up Rick. Tim, my mistake and my apologies it was the PRA that was contacted not the BRA, and not a BRA individual who was not helpful

I have this morning been in contact with Tom Geake the BRA committee member who is the single seat representative to enquire if he knew anything about this and if people who do enquire are referred to him. So Rick, he is in the position to advise you on aspects of self build, contact him through the BRA and he can advise you as he is presently working on the certification of his kit built Cricket with the LAA

I was interested to find out that he was not aware that the last version of Sect 44 has retained the ability to gain a Gyro PPL on a single seat machine, so updated him on the last iteration, and here it is for you Rick.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_std Doc 44 consolidated amendment_V2.pdf

The thread has unearthed some quite useful stuff but the title does not reflect any of it. I would like to rename it so that it becomes easier to find the information and wonder what you would suggest as a good header line for this thread.

You may be interested , there are 3 gyros shortly , probably be 4 gyros at Draycott farm strip, you may want to visit and have a look around and a chat
we have a bensen merlin, cricket, RAF2000 and possibly an MT03

I'd certainly like to come along and meet.

Which Draycott is it ?
Gloucester, Derbyshire, Somerset, Worcester, Staffordshire .... didn't know there were so many until I type Draycott into Autoroute

Last edited:
draycoot farm aerodrome is in Wiltshire by Junction 15 M4 just south of Swindon

The thread has unearthed some quite useful stuff but the title does not reflect any of it. I would like to rename it so that it becomes easier to find the information and wonder what you would suggest as a good header line for this thread.

I gave it the original name ... I have no issue if you want to rename it.
Leave it to you as to what you want to change it to.