Gyroplane Lands on Capital Hill Lawn?

Kolibri,

First of all, what are you afraid of that causes you to not list your real name?

So I don't know who you are. But this is what I do know from first hand experience: Having personally known many postal workers in my life, I can tell you that your characterization of them ("of a grossly overpaid and overpensioned U.S. Postal employee") shows blatant ignorance on your part. You really blew it buddy.

Why are you so upset about a person who works very hard for a decent wage and was smart enough to get into a profession which happens to still offer a pension? This country was in much better shape when a large majority of middle class America worked for corporations that did not out-source their labor, could be depended upon to provide a man or woman a career-length lob with possibility of their hard work leading to continual promotion and retirement with a moderate pension.

Are you upset maybe because you did not make such wise choices?
When I wrote "over"paid/pensioned, I was referring to over and above what the free market would compensate for equivalent work. The USPS is subsidized by the taxpayers; it otherwise could not out-pay the free market as it does. I have never worked for government, nor accepted any subsidy or welfare payment, including SS.

While I share some agreement with you about the decline of the middle-class, being a life-long entrepreneur who will never "retire" I disagree with the solution of corporate paternalism, pensions, etc. But, to each his own.

Regarding Mr. Hughes, I maintain that his flying was unsafe (300' or less over densely populated areas, and <100' over tourists' heads on final), and thus I cannot respect his actions however much I appreciate his spirit. I do hope that they are lenient with him, for as foolish as his flight was he had peaceable intentions.

Finally, I've found that psychological projection (i.e., your "what are you afraid of?") is usually as inaccurate as it is tactless. Feel free to list your name, home address, shoe size, etc., but I would never project that you were a shameless narcissist with delusions that the public deemed your life worthy of cognizance. To each his own. Isn't that the American way your Mr. Hughes struggles to keep?

If we don't get some of this stuff straightened out, I think there will be a lot more people feeling the same way.
Thank you for putting it so baldly. Can't have people thinking differently from you!

Regards, Kolibri

When you fear the Government there has to be something grossly wrong with the leadership. Tyrants and treason in high office. . . .

Real Names!

Real Names!

Finally, I've found that psychological projection (i.e., your "what are you afraid of?") is usually as inaccurate as it is tactless. Feel free to list your name, home address, shoe size, etc., but I would never project that you were a shameless narcissist with delusions that the public deemed your life worthy of cognizance. To each his own. Isn't that the American way your Mr. Hughes struggles to keep?

Regards, Kolibri[/COLOR]

There are only two requirements of this Forum:

1. Your Real Name In Your Profile
2. Your Location

Thats it, if you are unable to meet these simple requirements, you will be placed in a "non posting status". This will allow you to view the forum, but you will be unable to post or participate in discussions.

I am encouraging everyone to check their profiles and update them if they need it. Anyone registered in the last couple months was forced to enter their name but prior to that, the software had no requirements.

I appreciate everyone's cooperation.

Todd

In case you don't know this is Todd's forum you are posting on and he does not have the time or the desire to be a policeman and hopes that people follow his simple requests.

Regards, Vance

Vance,

I agree with Todd, and I have the same requirement on the ballooning forum I have been running for ten years. The challenge is that there is no good way to confirm a "real" name and location. His rule for placing posters in a view only status may be the only way to police the forum. Even then Todd must be cautious as he can move legally from "librarian" to "editor." An editor carries a higher level of responsibility over what is published, thus can be held liable for content.

On my site, I have found it best to keep spammers out and then let the legitimate users police each other during flame throwing.

John Craparo
youcanflynow.com

just playing devil's advocate but many people are skeptical of putting out their name on the internet let alone their address in a "I am owed something" society. just sayin.

In case you don't know this is Todd's forum you are posting on and he does not have the time or the desire to be a policeman and hopes that people follow his simple requests.

Regards, Vance

heh heh heh

heh heh heh

Perhaps if the GYRO community had FAR SUPERIOR machines, we could send more of a message ????

Fire away !

fj

:whoo::whip::spy:

...If the Euro-gyro marketers really wanted to advance safety, they would spring for some wind-tunnel time to explore the torque-slip-roll-coupling issue -- a problem that is likely attributable precisely to the lowrider-with-pod styling.

You make it sound as if the "Euro-gyro marketers" were a single entity. In fact, there are many (Auto Gyro, Magni, ELA, Xenon, Trixxy, Rotortec, Apollo, etc.) who are competitors and have different concepts and designs. I can't envision how they should all get to gether and fund combined research. This is not going to happen.

However, significant amount of research (computer modeling, flight testing in a heavily instrumented MTOSport, and again computer modeling) was performed by the DLR (German Aerospace Center). I know their test pilot and have talked to him at length. I have posted a summary of the results about a year ago on this forum somewhere.

I myself have explored slips in three different gyros (MTOSport, Calidus and ArrowCopter) over many hundres of times in order to map the safe region and identify unsafe conditions. I also posted the results in a thread on this forum a while ago. Below is an excerpt from the ArrowCopter POH (which I wrote):

ArrowCopter POH said:
The aircraft should always be flown in a coordinated manner, i.e., empennage parallel to the direction
of flight. Of course, slips as are required to perform cross wind landings within demonstrated limits
can safely be performed. Aggressive slip maneuvers, in particular together with other destabilizing
factors (e.g., lateral wind gusts, power changes, partially unloaded rotor) may lead to uncontrollable
flight conditions. This constitutes a difference between fixed wing aircraft and gyroplanes and should
be heeded particularly by pilots transitioning to gyroplanes. During flight training special emphasis
should be placed on the correct and smooth application of rudder which is generally more sensitive
than commonly found in fixed wing aircraft.

To perform slips in a controlled and safe manner, these conditions need to be met:

• Enter the maneuver only at speeds below 90 km/h (49 kts) and throttle settings at or near idle.
• Use smooth rudder and stick input to enter and exit a slip. Avoid sudden and jerky control inputs.
• The ASI will indicate too low speeds during the slip and must, therefore, not be used as a reference for airspeed. Estimate airspeed using wind noise, flight attitude and control pressure instead.
• During the slip, use small and smooth corrections in control pressure to stabilize flight attitude.
• Avoid sudden and strong changes in throttle setting, particularly power increases.

Let's not forget that Euro-gyros are factory built and for the most part certified gyros. Those that are certified in either Austria, Germany or the UK (I know these countries' certification standards pretty well) have undergone a rigorous flight testing procedure, including a comprehensive suite of stability tests. How many of the USA-gyros can claim that?

I say this because I feel something akin to snobbery become apparent in some posts.

Greetings, -- Chris.

Last edited:
Forget not the reason....

Forget not the reason....

I hope somebody buys it to pay for his legal fees. Doug is the modern day Joan of Arc brave enough to tell the world the King has his pants down. How different things are from 1928 when a Gyroplane was WELCOMED at Capital. Now we get prosecuted for being a Patriot......trying to tell the government we are not pleased with the direction this country is being lead. Doug's message is the REAL NEWS, his delivery method was for impact.....and quite impressive. Let's not get lost in subsequent matters.

""Now we get prosecuted for being a Patriot......""

No - you get prosecuted for flouting the FAA rules and the strict fly zones around DC.

""Now we get prosecuted for being a Patriot......""

No - you get prosecuted for flouting the FAA rules and the strict fly zones around DC.

Yep, nothing to do with being a Patriot... He broke the rules, He knew he was going to break the rules, lose his job and his pension...all for what? to make a point about something that's been ballyhooed since the day there were politicians.

Never going to change.... I've come to the realization that there is absolutely nothing that we as American citizens can do to change our corrupt politicians or the system of self enhancement, lying, cheating and that they've created.

ballyhooed since the day there were 'PROFESSIONAL' politicians.
But it will change one day, and we the people will probably not like the process.

Glad I'm older and hopefully won't be around, sadly.

Chris B.

Well I can guarantee nothing will change if enough of us adopt a defeatist attitude.

I don't think you can justly take away the "patriot" label just because he consciously decided to break a rule while making his point. Look back through history and you're sure to find many people we acknowledge as patriots who also had to go against the grain in one way or another. And I'm not sure we can even get away with calling it a dumb move. As long as you can accept the consequences, there is nothing wrong with deciding to making a sacrifice. Initially, I was very concerned for his wife and daughter. But we don't know his personal situation. He seemed to have all the other bases covered. So, for all we know, maybe he had a contingency for his family also.

Many of us are concerned about him giving gyros a black eye. But the more I think about it, he could also have used a helicopter, a back pack powered para-glider, maybe even a hang glider or just a simple parachute. So let's hope the powers that be use some common sense.

Ok, I'm dreaming.

tyrants and traitors in high office don't give a s h I t . as long as the $$$ rolls in.

As a friend in the FAA who is about to retire says "Watch out for the new breed of FAA staff, dumber than a box of rocks, Cubical hamsters with zero aviation experience.

God help us all , Like this administration butt kissin to the maximum order even if it violates the law.

A new one;

A new one;

According to CNN Live, he flew in on a GYROSCOPE.

I want me one of them gyroscopes.

Presumably he found his way there by gyrocompass.

Yagottaluvthemeeja.

Wack Hawk Down...LOL
Yea Tina,
On my paperwork to the FAA model will be listed as a 'WackHawk'
Might paint it all black with a red tail in honor of the squadron.
Wonder if it will be approved?
Someone will probably beat me to it I suppose.
This thread is going 'wack-o' however.

Chris B.

You're right. Let's focus on the message he was trying to send.

I believe there is still strength in numbers.

tyrants and traitors in high office don't give a s h I t . as long as the $$$ rolls in.

As a friend in the FAA who is about to retire says "Watch out for the new breed of FAA staff, dumber than a box of rocks, Cubical hamsters with zero aviation experience.

God help us all , Like this administration butt kissin to the maximum order even if it violates the law.

Only an idiot thinks gold silver, beans and a 12 volt fridge is a bad idea when a american hater is running america.