Gyrocopter H-1 Racer Hinchman Aircraft Company

Mike Hook

Aircraft
Dominator
This item is on ebay. What can anyone tell about this gyro and has anyone see one completed and were is the factory at or is it just a set of plans?? Any thoughts on it's construction?

Thanks

Mike

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
Hank had a flying machine at Bensen Days a few years ago. He sets way down in the machine with only his head showing. I don't know if there is a aircraft company are not. I believe he is from the southern Ind. area. He is one lucky dude, He busted through a power line at the east side of the Wauchula airport . The line busted and he landed great. Very little damage to the machine,scrapes and scratches,He had a nice bruise on his chest. Air Boss Charlie did him a lot more damage!
Bud

Rotornut

Platinum Member
Lol

Lol

Bud I remember that. Boy did Charlie chew some Butt, as Only Charlie can!
So how is Retirement? Sure do MISS YOU! Need to get together soon. Take Care and Sunstate Misses You! MJ :)

Mike Jackson

Aircraft
none presently
I was interested in buying this very machine a number of years ago. The builder modified Hank Hinchman's design somewhat - suspension and vertical tail geometry. The builder was an experienced FW ultralite builder and seemed to have created some nice machines. He sent me a video of the machine and it appeared to be nicely constructed.

I mentioned the machine for sale to Hank Hinchman and he asked to see the video. Hank told me he was not impressed with the welding on this machine. It appeared OK to me.

I did not purchase this machine and unfortunately the builder was killed shortly thereafter in an aircraft accident. I may still have the preflight video of this machine if interested.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Hook

Aircraft
Dominator
Thanks all,

I did see a phone number on the side of the seat in the pic's but was never able to get a answer it was alway busy. I had just never seen this version of a gyro. Looks like the builder had good ideas .

Mike

robertstodaro

Aircraft
618 dominator
Total Flight Time
I was too late to see the ebay machine.

since this has not been seen in a while I thought I would post it.

Attachments

• h1-1.jpg
    h1-1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Mike Hook

Aircraft
Dominator
I copied the pics of the one on ebay here is a two views.
Mike

Attachments

• 09_1.jpg
    09_1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 36_1.jpg
    36_1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 11

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
Scott, that is a good picture with the top shell open. I have several pictures of the machine but that is the first time I have seen the shell slid forward. This is the body that apparently even Chuck B. was impressed with since he reported that he tried to make a deal to acquire one. Extending the body all the way back to incorporate the fixed vert and horz stab would add some more area aft of the Cg which is always good.

The Ebay machine obviously has a few changes from the original with the most obvious being the landing gear. I prefer Hank's original which is similar to Carl Schneider's.

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
Whoops!

Whoops!

Before someone else mentions it I will. When I suggested extending the body I didn't allow for the prop! There is always something getting in the way. How 'bout a BD5J engine and tail mod? Wouldn't have to worry about the prop at least. I hope no one is taking all of this seriously.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
So are plans still available for the H-1 ?? Anyone know how it handled ??

Barry K

Randall

I tried for several weeks to get in touch with him regarding the plans but only got who I believe to be his wife. She said that she would have him call, but I never got a response. Went with a Dominator instead.

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
I have a set of plans for the H-1, and about half of an airframe. My dad started it and never finished. I found it all stuck up in the attic.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
You want to sell it??

Barry

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
You are welcome to the plans, they should mail easily. I was thinking of repurposing the Al., but it would be a shame to destroy my dads work already put into it. It has most of the airframe cut an drilled, with cluster plates. PM me.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
PM sent

Thanks Lee.