Gyroboat..

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
Aircraft
Paraglider and PPG
Total Flight Time
Some hundreds
Wonder if the gyroboat is alive somewhere?
Or worth bringing to live?
I think Bensen also was into gyroboats.

Could be a solution in some places and ad safety to it as water softer than land.

Attachments

phantom

gyroboat

gyroboat

I hope that a gyroboat is worth the effort as I am working on one, not a glider like in the photo but a powered version, I have used gyroboat glider but did not have much luck with power but with this new one I am trying a different approach to overcome the problems of the past. I will post results here when it has flown or failed.

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
Anyone considering a gyroboat needs to read Dr. Bensen's experience flying one; it wasn't good!

phantom

gyroboat

gyroboat

I did read about Dr. Bensen and the uncontrolled dive but as he said there were no tail surfaces on the boat as he never was going to relase the towline.If you are going to build a free flying gyroboat all of the rules of building a stable gyroplane must be followed and there are some other problems of making a top heavy boat stable when the rotor is not turning.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
When "the mouth" goes wide open, all goes to shut!
Fairings will be necessary and maybe enven some kind of cannard. (tweek it)
Heron

phantom

gyroboat

gyroboat

my gyroboat has a large HS and two rudders , power is a rotax 583 with a warpdrive prop. I would not put a canard or anything that could provide lift or a downward force in front of the rotorhead on any gyro, with a boat the challenge is to get the tail feathers back far enough to stablize a long and wide hull that presents a lot of aera and force that can be positive or negetive if it is not lined up with the slipstream.

Luc De Keyser

cartercopter rotored lippisch ground effect wavepiercing "boat"

cartercopter rotored lippisch ground effect wavepiercing "boat"

This ground effect craft flew well in the X-Plane simulator. During testing did not get any pants wet ;-)

Luc

Attachments

phantom

gyroboat

gyroboat

I don't think that the ground effect machine in the photo would work in the real world because the small wing will need more speed than the large rotor will permit without a lot of power and with enough power it would be a really poorly designed gyro but I could be wrong as I have never tried to mix the two types of craft.

Luc De Keyser

high inertia slowed rotor

high inertia slowed rotor

Phantom, classically you would be right, except, this is a high inertia slowed rotor as invented by Carter (and the wing is not as small as this shot from this angle would suggest).

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
my gyroboat has a large HS and two rudders , power is a rotax 583 with a warpdrive prop. I would not put a canard or anything that could provide lift or a downward force in front of the rotorhead on any gyro, with a boat the challenge is to get the tail feathers back far enough to stablize a long and wide hull that presents a lot of aera and force that can be positive or negetive if it is not lined up with the slipstream.
Do you have a picture of your gyroboat?

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
The wing is sized according with the speeds desired.
They will allow for lighter load on the rotos and reducing drag, thus causing . . .thus causing . . .etc
Carter knows his stuff!
Heron

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
If one wants to scoot around water country the Spratt Controlwing is probably a better choice than a gyro

Tony

Frank Rawley

Aircraft
Parsons Gyro/Cessna Cardinal
Total Flight Time
Gyro-Boat plans

Gyro-Boat plans

Anyone know where I might be able to find an old set of Benson Gyro-Boat plans. I am interested in the towed version that performed at Cypress Gardens for many years in the 1960's. Information on any museums that may have a Gyro-Boat on display would also be helpful. Is there a Dr Bensen archive or collection of his papers somewhere? Thanks